Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone into 3d modelling?  (Read 6331 times)

Minime

Anyone into 3d modelling?
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:00:18 am »

Hi I was just wondering if anyone likes 3d modeling. I started with Sketch up, not sure if you know it, but I now work with blender(again not sure if you know it). BUt my computer isn't working so all 3d modelling is pretty much paused, gives me much more time for the real boats :-)
I got a few renders here of some of my models.
the one attached is my newest project. It is a super yacht, inspired by the earthrace I think the name of the boat was. This model was made with blender.
pic 1: This is one of my first boats in Sketchup

and here is the first boat that looked somewhat good in Gmax

and here is the best model I made with Gmax, but I stopped working with the program because of many limitations.

and now we come back to Sketch up. This is one of the best model I ever made in SU, but the bulbs are still hard to make in SU, but much easier in blender though.

and this is my last project I made with SU

ACADi

Re: Anyone into 3d modelling?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:34 am »

I work with AutoCAD, much more precise and being Architectural in nature of work it suits me better than the software you're using. I have not done boats in 3D, but now that I have access to a 3D printer I may do some components in 3D and then print them for inclusion in the models. But I do draw in AuoCAD.

Minime

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:24:22 am »

well everything I use is free, Autocad is not, as I'm 17 years old that is not in my price range. But these 3d printers sound interesting. You know how it works? And how big objects you can make with them?

OMK

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:50:12 am »

While you're on the subject of Faroe Islands and Google Earth, you any idea what these white things might be?

62 01'43.60"N 6 45'43.90"W

Minime

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 02:19:09 am »

no, never seen. But that looks quit interesting, I might go see what it is soon, since it's only about 2 km away from where I live.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:05:25 am »

While you're on the subject of Faroe Islands and Google Earth, you any idea what these white things might be?

62 01'43.60"N 6 45'43.90"W

I've seen this effect before on Google earth.

I suspect it is a glitch in the data set for that 'box'. If you look at the square around it you will see it does not match up with adjacent squares.
I don't think it is sensetive sites (military). But minime will be able to confirm.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kiwi

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:35:24 am »

Hi Minime,
very good sketches there. You keep going, try to download some more powerful 3D programs free of the web.
Just off hand I dont have any links but will see if I can find them again, and post for you.
I use AutoCAD (2D mainly, because that's what work uses, but its not the best around) Revit (3D structural and Arch design, much simpler than AutoCAD, but not for boats), CoCreate, which is a 3D solid modeler (which I think is downloadable free), And Pro-Engineer, (another 3D solid modeler - the cream of the crop).
So keep going you could upgrade to Rhino, which would be a step up from what you are using and much better for ships etc. not all that expensive either.
cheers
vnkiwi

kiwi

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 08:26:08 am »

Hi Again,
I also use Delftship (also available as a free download version), for drawing my boats, then export as .stl file and import into whichever of my 3D programs I wish and fill in the rest from there. DelftShip is specifically for designing ships hulls and simple to use.
So keep up the good work, and remember to keep posting your work on here.
cheers
kiwi

Minime

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:58:08 am »

thanks, I tried delft ship, but I felt blender kinda gave me more freedom in creating the hulls, but then again I didn't give delftship a big chance, but it is a great program.
I'm gonna stay with blender for now, since for my use it is enaugh.

Minime

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 04:55:32 am »

Sorry for waking this old topic up, but I felt I should, instead of making a new topic.
Anyway I thought I should show you all some samples of some models I've done, since last time I posted here.(that's gotta be quite some time ago now)
Anyway again, enjoy...
first up is a little double end ferry

next is an model of the icebreaker Hesperides

an modern, but classic ocean liner looking cruiseship

then there is an old lightvessel, currently docked in liberty landin marina in New Jersey I think

and a tug I started on about 2 weeks ago I think, or less

and finally the project I think I have been most dedicated too would be the M/F Norrøna, an faroese ferry which sails between the Faroe Islands, Denmark and Iceland. I have also started on the interior on the model.

that's all I'm going to show you for now, any requests of renders are welcome.

kiwi

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 05:43:25 am »

Very nice.
I haven't done any 3D work for around 4 months, time taken up on another project. A 2 foot free sailing 17th century pirate (privateer) sailing ship.
Must get back into it and try to catch up with your skills.
well done
kiwi

Minime

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:35 pm »

Very nice.
I haven't done any 3D work for around 4 months, time taken up on another project. A 2 foot free sailing 17th century pirate (privateer) sailing ship.
Must get back into it and try to catch up with your skills.
well done
kiwi
Thanks, must say my tug is also taking quite some time away from the 3d.
Sounds like a nice sailing ship.

Prophet

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:18:11 pm »

if you want to get more detail in a 3d model try using 3dsmax from autodesk
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13567410

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 01:03:50 pm »

I remember a program from my IT support days... I think it was called catia.  You could build a render models in 3d, and using the materials database could actually test the parts to see if they could survive the use they were being designed for
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Angela

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:38:55 pm »

I began with gmax about 6 months ago - seems like years now! Mainly make buildings for a program called Trainz which are then 'sent up' to the mother company's web site for inclusion on their Download Station. My work is freeware, so no charges are made.
It gets you and you can't stop!

Angela

BJ

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 07:43:21 pm »

well everything I use is free, Autocad is not, as I'm 17 years old that is not in my price range.

Take a look at TurboCad from http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/26/turbocad-deluxe-12-5-free-download-with-serial-number-for-activation-key-code/. It is not "current" but still an easy package to use - probably easier than AutoCad (and free because of its age (v17 about £80).

norrona_fan(FO)

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »

Hey, Im from the Faroe Islands and I absolutely adore the Norrøna, how is it going with her? Is there any other way of contacting you? ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.