Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Surfer girl  (Read 6768 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
RC Surfer girl
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »

Part 1.

So there we are on Sunday evening with my latest plastic junk impulse buy, this time from a real model shop!

I first saw the model toy at Warwick some years ago and then again recently at the Southern Model Air Show,
 ( http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/shows2009/Southern/imagepages/image371.html )  and after looking them up,
I found one for £25 +P&P, 2 days later the toy turns up.

It come 'ready to run', transmitter,8 x AA batteries, main battery (1700MAh Ni-cad ), mains slow charger, stand, screw driver, spare screws and propeller.

The girl has flexible fittings in her feet so she can lean forwards and backwards a bit.
Opening the the motor, battery, radio bay is via 4 substantial chrome screws, hence the included screwdriver.
The hull is a double hull arrangement and although I've found a couple of screws, the hulls seem to be joined / glued together.
It's 540 size motor with water cooling but the silicon pipes seem to be constricted when the top is screwed down.
The rudder is a weird slanted "U" shape but seems to work very well!
Radio Control is 'bang bang' rudder and forwards only 2 speed forward only motor control.
There is a simple 'waterproof'  on / off switch between the girls feet.
The hull is a hard plastic and "seems liable to fractures" in my opinion but no evidence yet.
The girl seems to be made of a vinyl of some sort.

Anyway, with batteries charged up, we down at the lake side.....
First the top section of the radio aerial comes out at the 2nd pull.
The battery door on the transmitter is quite fiddly to fit and poorly executed but it has 3 bright LEDs.
The supplied main battery is fitted easily but you need to keep checking that none of the loose wire are trapped
when screwing the top down.
... grab her by the head and drop her in........

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Temps

Re: RC Surfer girl
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:54:21 pm »

%% %% %%I see one of these at the lake on sunday it took the guy longer to get it set up (put the battery in) than the run time i think it would look better if you put a sail on it  O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:41:50 pm »

Part 2,

Well the first run was uneventful... as the supplied battery lasted about 20 seconds and died!
A quick battery change and a check for water revealed all seemed well.
... why do these Chinese manufactures supply such useless batteries?!?!  >:-o
China, please supply an actual 1.7mHA battery or don't bother!
The only thing the supplied battery does is supply the shape and size of the battery you are going to need to buy!

The 2nd battery was much better but that too seem to loose power very quickly but this time I noticed it was the
radio / speed controller (that is next to useless) couldn't seem to supply the required amperage to the motor which peaked
and then cut back the power. The 2nd battery lasted about 6 minutes.

Back on shore, a couple of table spoons of water under the motor but nothing to worry about.
I then tried a 8.4volt battery that only just fitted in the space provided.
There must have been something wrong with the 8.4v battery and it didn't seem to have charge properly as is was not any
faster than the 7.2v.

Back to shore again, empty out the considerable amount of water but still not too worrying.
This time I fitted a 7.2 4.3Ah battery.
Much better but still not impressive.
The girl does lean into the bends quite 'realistically' though.

After about another 8 minutes of fun, she stopped dead in the water, about 30 meters out.... and she was
looking decidedly tail heavy... There was no breeze at all but she seemed be drifting in ..... very slowly.

At 5 meters from shore the onboard electrics fired up again and this time she careered off to the centre of the lake, about
50 meters out and stopped dead again, this time drifting off towards the very extensive reeds.
She didn't seem very happy at all and looked like a worried captain about to go down with her ship.

I got my cheap nasty collapsible fishing rod which immediately 'snarled' itself and the reel refused to wind anyway!  >>:-(
I got a couple of "casts" off but didn't get anywhere close. own accord. A couple of fishermen where walking past and I
persuaded them to try and catch my boat... (well, they didn't seem to
have caught anything else!).

With 3 casts, the young man already had the range but Surfer Girl sensed this and started up her motor again of her.
Unfortunately for her all she could do was wallow around in slow circles .

5 or 6 casts later and my fisherman friend had snagged her with a "creek chub vintage 2700 rainbow fire summer lure"?!?!?!
Surfer girl put up a good fight but she was eventually reeled in after an epic fight with the motor cutting in and out.  

There was obviously a lot of water in the boat and after empting out, there still seemed to be a lot of water in the hull but where?!?!?
It turns out that the water got into the sealed  spaces between lower hull and the inner radio bay and it was a lot of water,
(see the photo of the pool of water behind the car... and this after I had emptied the boat out lakeside!).

Well I had the run 'out of the box', didn't expect much, didn't get much but it's now ready for a gutting and fitting proper
ESC and radio gear.
Water ingress is going to be a real problem though.....  {:-{

So there have it, I can I saw, she nearly drowned but we got her home in the end!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

Hi, what a cool toy :-)) I remember seeing that as the original Kyosho (I think) model. I guess you have seen the videos on You Tube.... Surfing with the big boys on the ocean.
To save you some time and effort in research have a look at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5503299/tm.htm. Practically all you need to know on improving the surfer girl.

swampbug

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:45:27 am »

Ha Ha Ha Ha  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »

Glad to see you've stopped buying rubbish Martin. {-) {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »

I said to my daughter on the way home,

"That was fun, did you enjoy that?"
"NO! DAD, HATED it! My heart was pounding all the time!"
"Why?"
"I thought we were never going to get her back!"
"It's only a cheap, nasty boat, we could get another one."
"Yes but it's my cheap, nasty boat and I like it!"

... she didn't speak to me for the rest of the day!  {:-{

( I wonder what she'll say when it got a Tommy Turbo brushless motor and Lipos in it!!! )

BTW; Anyone got a small cheap fishing rod for sail sale?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:57:13 pm »

Not a cheap chinese RC one, sory mate.  :D :D %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:40:57 pm »

Martin

If you came down when the rest of the club was sailing we could have saved you the hassle of the rescue by swamping your signal with some decent radio sets, so your contraption would only have got a few yards out.  :} :} :} :} :} :}

Doug

seriously we have a long pole (sven) and a rescue boat
Don't Assume Check

das boot

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »

Martin, Martin...Martin. I thought I'd taught you better than this. Pay attention now...ready?

The operational word here is Surfer "GIRL"...you obviously didn't allow enough time between opening the box and placing the craft on the water for the afore mentioned Surfer "GIRL" to apply the required make up, choose which handbag to take with her, do her hair, check her bum didn't look big in that costume, check the previously applied make up again, check around for male admirers (don't you have an Action Man standing about anywhere?) and generally do all the preening that women need to do before even thinking about stepping out of the box, let alone placing a well manicured toe upon a surf board.

Come along now man...get yourself sorted. Promise me you'll try harder, OK?

Rich

das boot

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 04:47:02 pm »

Oh, and please don't do THIS on the pavement again...tut, tut.

Rich

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »

( I wonder what she'll say when it got a Tommy Turbo brushless motor and Lipos in it!!! )

I know an ideal motor,the same as my F/B cheap as chipe and run well on 7.2v and dont get hot and would prob be fast enough for you..

peter

Philipsparker

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 02:49:55 pm »

I have a couple of these. In standard trim they are OK and certainly look good on the water for a few minutes when running at full tilt.

BUT, I bought a refitted one from eBay a last year. It has a brushless setup and proper radio. Needed a couple of simple repairs (spares from a donor model bought from Howes) and the results are even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTrmj7lSZNg

and here: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/search/label/Bouncing%20Betty

I'm now looking to retro fit the first version with a similar setup for racing.

One problem - We nicknamed ours "Bouncing Betty" which has enranged the morrons who cruise YouTube looking for pictures of landmines. And thay think we are sad b&$*!%ds :-P

Phil

ZZ56

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »

Ah yes, Youtube... repository of the finest minds on the planet.  {-)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:16 pm »

Sorry guys but if you have a RC surfer I expect to see some surf......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBrhf4Kd774

http://www.rcsurfrider.com/videos/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.