Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Inflexible  (Read 45434 times)

colin-d

HMS Inflexible
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:13:17 am »

i have started on my HMS Inflexible from Deans Marines.

instead of clogging up this forum and taking up valuable space on the server i have put the Build on the Deansmarines Forum, which can be found here; http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/forum1/index.php?topic=144.0

so far only the Bulkheads (not included in the kit), Electrics and decksupport beams have been fitted, and at presset i am working on the Flying decks.

colin-d

Re: HMS Inflexible
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »

heres a couple of photo's

most of the plastic has now been glued together now its time to sand all the joints smooth and start on the fine detail..

a little detail can be seen on the charthouse and on the Signals Office, all of this detail has been made by Microstrips from slaters.

colin-d

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:29:31 pm »

i have now had time to compleat one of the Turrets, ready now for a spot of paint..

the Stanchion are from RB Fittings, and the rungs are from Albion Alloys.

Stanchion: http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/1_2/products_id/731
Rungs: http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/1785
(also available in 1 meter lengths)

the wing nuts that can be seen in the close up photo, have been made out of etched Stanchion, with the top of the railings eye cut off, i think this has the recommended effect.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:30:21 pm »

Colin

If you want to come on to our stand at Dortmund you are going to have to do better than this !!  :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

Doug

(Jealous or what)
Don't Assume Check

colin-d

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:36:25 pm »

we will see what comes next on this Build...   O0

i have a few more things up my sleeve, and also the photos to aid construction..  :-))

colin-d

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:22:19 pm »

only a small update...

a couple of canvas creates to go onto of the turrets.

colin-d

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 04:10:48 pm »

its been a while since i have posted in here, and as always i have been a little buisy, not forgetting that i am a working person and only have the weekends to do any Building.

the second turret is in the making, i have managed to fix the Ram onto the Bow and mould it into the Hull.

the raised bow has been fitted inplace; this took some doing, not forgetting what is mentioned in the instructions, that the Bow at 110mm from the bow must be 100mm wide this is extreamly important, if these mesurements are wrong then the raised bow could be to wide or to narrow, this would mean that the Forward flying deck would not fit snugly up against the raised bow.

after days of applying filler and sanding it down only to apply some more i have managed to thicken up the area arround the propshafts, this is not mentioned in the Kits instructions nor is it on the Kits Plans, but the information that i have from books, photo`s and other plans, there is a deffinate evidence that this area is a lot thicker than just a propshaft of 6mm in diameter.

hope you all enjoy the photos

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:28 pm »

It all looks superb to me ! both the workmanship and the subject.
in my own little world

colin-d

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 05:51:10 pm »

thanks for the vote of confidence Rob..   :D

colin-d

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:29:45 am »

a note for the moderators, and Admin;

as i am not allowed to modify my own entries on this forum, can you please change the first entry in this thread, the link stated in the first entry has changed from;
http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/forum1/index.php?topic=144.0

to

http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=144.0

not much of a change but for anyone that was looking for it were heading into a 404 page..  

and then this entry can be deleted...    thanks.. :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:32:55 am »

colin-d........very interesting gun turret where I see three x viewing posts...but who were these for?

Certainly in latter [British 4.5" Vickers twin or single mounts] we had "an officer of the gun" behind a 2.25" armour plated glass viewing shoe type box that protruded from the rear top face of the mount........earlier reading will I suggest confirm these gunnery officers were called "Gun Captains"

NCO's or CO's......... :(( ...sorry the fog is thick   %% ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

colin-d

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:28 am »

thats a dam good question Derek  {-)

the photo's that i have show three, the plans from John Haynes also show three, plus in Wikipedia on there photo's it shows three, so i have put three on my turrets.

probably there was the main Gun officer, and the two gunners (sighters) ..

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:HMS_Inflexible_Gesch%C3%BCtzturm.JPG&filetimestamp=20080422235616

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Datei:RML_16_inch_gun_Clowes_Vol_VII.jpeg&filetimestamp=20091013090609

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:21:06 am »

Goodness colin-d........I was not questioning your build......& your Wikipedia snaps confirm the worst..... %%.. I see a canvas drop down sheet in front of the viewing window ...... >>:-( %% :police:..

.....and certainly from the Wikipedia snaps ..the mounting was not a "twin"....as each gun barrel was independent..simply two gun assemblies in a common rotating turrett

All electro hydraulic systems between each mount were independent.....the only common facility was "train"  O0

Keep posting .jpgs with your build........... :-)) .Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

colin-d

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:30:34 am »

no Probs... i was just showing some of the sources i have been using ..  %)

I'll be down the cellar this weekend to continue the build, i might even get one of the Torpedo boats compleated or modified, there was so many different types in the 1880's

and i will be working on the walkway between the fore and aft superstructures.

colin-d

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:26:07 pm »

been down the cellar most of the weekend, i was allowed out for meals.

after looking at a few photo's some of them were of original Torpedo boats and some were the photo's of the kits torpedo boats, i have decided to completely remake my Torpedo boats, there were so many different types of these small craft, basically all are based around a steam Picket boat.

the photo in the top left corner is from the kits instructions, so you can see what has been cut away and what has been replaced.

the remainder of the photo's show my new version, its still in the making but the general layout can be seen.

most of the vacform deck was cut away, which left me with a big hole to fill, part of the hole was filled back in again with a flat piece of 1mm pastic card which is were the engine room is, the aft open area had its side walls installed and a floor, on the top edge is some round plastic to give the top edge the proper finish.
the wheelhouse was also finished in the same way, the photo's that i have show an open wheelhouse with a canvas roof, which will be added later, once the deck and hull has been glued together.

i have even made a couple of 'A' frames for the propshafts and made some Exposed prop shafts,  will just have to find some nice Props now, although the brass etched ones in the kit could be used.

there is still a fair bit of work to be done on the fittings.

in the photo's its not quite noticeable how big/small these Torpedo boats are so heres the dimensions;
roughly 20cm long x 3cm wide

colin-d

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 03:43:19 pm »

its been a while since i posted in this thread, but heres some more Photo's of the build.

have been working on the Torpeedo boats a little more.

the bollards have been applied, these were made out of Microstrips and a bit of Brasswire

the Torpedo holders have been built and glued in place, these were made out of scrap white metal, and some Nickelsilver rod 0.33mm

the canopy of the the wheelhouse, has been covered with silk paper, which gives the rough effect and then painted in a canvas colour.

bits that can not be seen are the wooden slatted floor parts that go in the wheelhouse and rear open part, these are still drying in the paint room.

as you all can see i have also started painting.

there Prop shafts are also finally finished, made from 0.45mm NiSi and 1mm Brass tubes from Albion Alloys, and a three bladed Prop from brass etchings

colin-d

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »

the charthouse is not quite finished, but here she is before she gets painted.

the railings are from 0.2mm Nickel silver Rod, the stanchions are from RB fittings.

the hand rail going down the steps still needs to be bent and soldered in place, but that's no big job.

here we have the next photo, of the Forward Searchlight Platform, now ready for painting.

the Maxim guns and Searchlights have not been glued in place yet, as the wooden decking has a coat of masking tape on it to protect it while painting the rest of the structure.

the railings have been made the same way as the charthouse.

colin-d

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 09:49:32 am »

so far so good, been down the cellar most of the weekend painting fittings, plus working on the Forward Flying Deck

probably by the end of the month this section of the build should be finished apart from the mast.

colin-d

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 04:10:42 pm »

here is a small update, the Torpedo boats are finished and ready to be mounted on the Aft Flyingdeck.

colin-d

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »

only a smal update;

the forward searchlight platform is finished and will be packed away in silk cloth until the rest of the forward flying deck in finished.

the searchlights have had some hand wheels added that did not come with the kit.

and i have been building allsorts of fittings including painting them.

the second photo is of the 4.7" QF guns there is eight of them on this ship two above the forward anchors, four on the forward flying deck and two on above the aft anchors.

this is a kit in its own rights, i have also fitted hand wheels to the guns. these are also not part of the Kit.

Bowwave

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 10:50:24 am »

Hi Colin great  job your doing there Will you have Inflexible  ready for Naviga F2 ? is the  next Naviga  motors  to be in the  Netherlands ?
Bowwave  :-)) :-)) :-))

colin-d

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:09:55 pm »

being as this build is a Deans Kit, with a few alterations according to further information that i have obtained from various sources, i can only enter Her in the class F4B (scale kit class) although she will probably be of F2 standard.
because i can only work on her at weekends i doubt that i will have her finished for the next World Champs which i have of a very good source should be being held in Hungary 2011 sometime towards the beginning of July.
at present i am trying to convice the MPBA that it would be a good idea for the World Champs in 2013 to be held in the UK, and for 2015 the Danish have already put in there application.

the only information that i have on the section M (motors / speed boats) is 17.-26. September 2010 in Murrhardt, Germany

rathikrishna

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 08:37:43 am »

Hello..sir..in your photograph,i saw some bullwarks ..i think its readymade...from where i can i buy such details..?  is it possible to buy..?

colin-d

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 12:25:37 pm »

sorry for the late answer, but i have been on Holiday.

which photograph are you refering to ?

colin-d

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:54 am »

and here's some more photo's and a small update into my Build-

the first photo is of the Torpedo Net Platform, its obvious that the Nets have not been tied down yet, there still waiting to be folded and rolled, the build its self; theres a few metal fittings to be worked on and the railings have been made in the same way as the charthouse.

the second photo is of the Military Tops, that have had a few changes made, according to the information i have, the parts that i have added are not in the kit, but most have them lying around (Micro Strips from Slaters)
the Military tops that are described in the instruction would look like the one on the far left hand side with out the Brassrods, on the right the compleated items ready to be installed onto the masts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.