Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: mfa tracker ,like you never seen before.  (Read 11069 times)

jabba

mfa tracker ,like you never seen before.
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »

Here is my mfa tracker.
  a few of you will have seen it allready,has working lights ,water cannon
 soundcard,has 2x 700bb turbo's 8.4v. fitted ,i run it on 2x5000mah lipo.7.4v or nimh.run times are good.
goes really well,gets alot of attention wherever i take it.
here is a few pics.
  jabba

HawkEye

Re: mfa tracker ,like you never seen before.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:04:41 pm »

Ah ! a fellow tracker owner !,That's a very nice variation that you've put together :-)),a bit closer to the original customs version that was used in the UK, most of the one's I’ve seen follow the standard format on the box, some pics of a more "MFA type" one that I own are attached and although a bit boring it still grabs a few looks. It started off as standard spec driven by two torpedo 800's and during it's 15 min (max) runtime was overtaken by a family of ducks :(( ( perhaps I exaggerate a little ), then it got fitted with a whole bunch of Mac's Mouldings stuff, a crane ( don't remember who's) and the wrong crew ( just liked the look of them ),stuffed any old winch on the front and some BIG lettering down the sides, gun was changed to something that actually looked like it was a gun (original shown in pics).
Closely followed by a sound unit from a amusement machine, working led's on all lights and portholes, working wipers (sometimes {:-{),working radar and gun (movement), two brushless Thumper 4250 and esc's..I've maintained an sla battery (12.5 ah) as it's now quite a handful flat out and the all up weight of about 8kg helps to keep it in the water %%, runtime at normal speeds now is around 45 - 60 min., currently stripped down for a winter rebuild if I get the time .

HawkEye

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »

Just in case you're interested here's an original MKII UK Customs version undergoing a major re-fit in Queenborough docks with the old bridge assembly dumped in a nearby yard !.

jabba

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:48 pm »

hi there hawkeye
nice tracker nice pics,
i was gonna go brushless with mine but goes ok on 700bb turbo with 7.4v lipo,also runs on 12v nimh.or lead acid
like you say everyone builds the one on the box,but its a bit boring,
the water cannon always adds fun,nothing like sailing at the side of embankment ,get everyone's attention with loud siren (40watt speaker)turn the cannon to side and soak everyone.lol.
siren and cannon work of tx.
With the 5000mah lipo's i get around 45 mins per pack,will add a vid at weekend so you can see in action,
thankyou very much for those pics and info.

seya soon jabba.

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:28 am »

Hi Hawkeye
If your still out there Im building / refurbishing a MFA Tracker as the Customs Cutter HMCC Active, very interested in the brushless set up - what esc? Also do you have any more pics of the original superstructure etc you also posted?
Cheers

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »

Hi bgrunes,
" Still out there "? - I'm never away from here  {-) .

The Tracker setup is as follows -

2X Tornado 4250 motors, or these if on a budget - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh4250-800kv-outrunner-p-405282.html
2X Seaking 60A esc - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/hobbywing-seaking-reverse-program-brushless-p-403647.html
2X M5 Ballraced shafts
2X Rubber I.C. Couplings
2X 52mm props ( still undecided about these, possibly 45mm is better but the local pond is empty for testing )
16.8 volt 5000ma nicad packs per motor 1x9.6 +1x7.2 in series ( don't like lipo )
Motor mounts made from a cut up heatsink of an old car audio amplifier.

I'll upload the photo's that I have of the original craft and post a link in a while.

HawkEye

I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:29:41 pm »

Ok, all the photo's that i have of AQUILA MARIS should be here -

http://s1117.beta.photobucket.com/user/HawkEye77/library/Tracker

Hope i made it public or no one will see it !  :D

Have fun with your rebuild.

HawkEye

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:07:30 pm »

Hi
Brilliant, photos are excellent, love the inside ones, helped me remember what it was like, I was an engineer on her.
Like the spec on the motors etc, more realistic pricing from GiantCod then other bits I've been looking at
How does it run? equivalent to say 900s ?
Many thanks again appreciate your time.

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:13 pm »

How does it run? equivalent to say 900s ?
Many thanks again appreciate your time.

Hi,
It started life with MFA 800's - useless ! :(( , then went to MFA 850's - faster but also useless and a massive current drain :(( ,both configurations were using the standard 12v sla battery, I've not fitted a 900 to any craft so I can't comment on those. The 4250 brushless are perhaps a bit over the top , you need a big lake and it can emulate an aircraft at times.

Edit:
I forgot to add that contra rotation is a must and v tail mixing gives far better turning if your transmitter supports it.

My next ( secret ) build when funds allow will be 2x 4250's running jet drives in a 52" offshore power boat hull but it won't be a power boat  :D

HawkEye

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:02:06 pm »

2X Tornado 4250 motors, or these if on a budget - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh4250-800kv-outrunner-p-405282.html
2X Seaking 60A esc - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/hobbywing-seaking-reverse-program-brushless-p-403647.html

sometimes its easy to see the results to make a decision, I have pretty much identical motors, on direct drive, 4 cells 5000mah lipos per motor, gps was 21 mph (not at this lake it was too small!) this video was the very first test, the rudder arrangement on the day was useless, It wouldnt turn!
Gel cell, and those 850mfa are not going to give fast performance, if thats what you want. These brushless are so cheap, cheaper than graupner 700 bb turbos, only over the top if you let it with the throttle! at least you will have bags in reserve, that hull will take it! :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1FShc3Mvuk&feature=plcp

this got to about 2/3 throttle, and does not really have the time or room to accelerate, now it runs better props, its a 4 foot aerokits Fireboat, any help needed just ask, the full setup and current build is here

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39278.0

Paul :-))

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:37:44 pm »

bgrunes.. the 900 motors that were fitted to the Tracker were on 24v and gave a full throttle rpm of 13000 rpm so dependant on what voltage you would be running it on you will need a KVA to suit.
eg a 800Kva on 22v would give around 17000 using a 55mm 2 blade prop would certantly give you startling performace....Give Alan Debsnall a pm and he will advise you....top man he is

Dave

PS WE NEED A BUILD LOG
PPS dETAILS OF THE F40 CONVERSION PLS

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 01:02:49 am »

Stav is spot on, my kv is 800, so matches exactly what he says, and I am on 14.8v per motor, with the capacity to go to another cell per motor. I tried X50, X52.5, X55 props, My preference was X52.5 as the amp draw was noticeably less than the X55 (eagle tree data logging for the info) and insignificant difference in GPS speed, measured on a big lake. Watercooling isnt really needed on my boat, its more for cosmetic effect, however with water cooled mounts the motors are stone cold, I was expecting them to be quite warm. I gave the prop info to Propshop, they made up a pair of nice 3 blade cleavers which should give more bite in the water, with similar readings, and look nicer! (yet to be tested!! ok2 )

hope that helps, the brushless/lipo thing is still a bit of a dark mystery with boaters, except the racing guys, so its sometimes handy to actually see the results for yourself. Once reversing esc's become cheap, I think the brushed gear will have had its day personally as the cheap chinese motors are now very affordable

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:22 am »

Thanks to all. Always a great forum would like to get into brushless I'm ok with the motors it's the ESCs that I worry about.... rating and all this talk of Chinese amps! Can't afford to keep paying out on motors and ESC just need a working system.
Stav I'll send you picks re 2.4 conversion at the weekend when back home, in London at present, the build log will be slow as work at present gets in the way, thats life. I've stripped the paint off the hull and deck so far, taken a while now back to the gel coat, lot of paint there. Thinking of removing prop shafts and replacing with M5 with bearings as in Hawkeyes. Have the ones in it been ok or worth paying out for new ones? Any thoughts on props would like some brass for looks but how many blades and size.
Don't know if any one knows were I can get chrome/silver straight stantions 3 hole about 50mm. Not the ones that have bulges were the rails go though.
Cheers

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 10:31:29 am »

I really struggled with chrome parts for my Huntsman, even tried chrome plating but its too expensive. Widen your search to include nickel plated, when polished, its the next best to chrome. Also look at alclad chrome paint, and humbol metalcoat that polishes up nice, I have used them all, with great success.

The model railway boys have stanctions etc in chrome, I got some for a recent build but cannot find the bill of sale so I can see who they came off, will keep trying though.

With regards to props, get cheap plastic X props for now at a quid a piece, and test with them, once you know what you want then pay out for the brass ones :-))

PS The 4 foot Huntsman in the avatar was 4mm shaft, but due to high revs was whipping, even with ballraced support, changed to M5 and problem solved, I would use M5 personally, Glacier bearings are available at SHG, these are water lubricated, as are the more common aceteal black plastic, use at water end, then I would suggest use ballrace at motor end with oiler for lubrication,  sweeter it turns, less amp draw, longer run times, more efficient! :}

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 10:18:53 pm »

Hi
Been waiting a while for Giant Shark to get in stock as per Hawkeyes post
XYH42-50 800kv 43A Outrunner
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xyh4250-800kv-outrunner-p-405282.html

Has anyone got any thoughts on the
504507 kv800 as an alternative
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/n504507kv800-outrunner-brushless-motor-p-407752.html

Thanks

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 10:57:47 pm »

you may be interested in my fireboat build, these are the same motors

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39278.msg392073.html#msg392073
you cant beat actual evidence! :-))

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 09:48:40 pm »

Has anyone got any thoughts on the
504507 kv800 as an alternative
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/n504507kv800-outrunner-brushless-motor-p-407752.html

Thanks

Hi , I can't see any reason why not ( apart from they cost a bit more  ok2 ), they are 8mm shafts though!, I just checked the price of the original tornado thumper - hmm. - I'm sure I didn't pay that much !.

Have a look here for a 15kg 54" lifeboat running the 600kv versions of the 4250 through jet drives on 24v - http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12202.msg115418.html#msg115418

Red - have you found the best prop size / configuration for these motors ? , I'm leaning towards 50 / 3 blade or 55 / 2 blade, although 45 / 3 gives good results, only tried plastic so far .

HawkEye

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 07:25:10 am »

Hi
Which thumpers are you using Hawkeye the 4250 I've found two versions 4250/06 and a 4250/07 any idea on difference?

http://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/product.asp?type=submenu&id=Motors%20-%20Brushless&id2=Tornado%20Brushless%20Motors&maingp=Electric%20Motors%20and%20Speed%20Controllers&prodid=997976

http://www.overlander.co.uk/new-motors-4250-07-710-kv.html

all i see is
800kv £25.98 need to add vat to this one
710kv £47.99

Thanks

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 07:17:08 pm »

Hi, the one's fitted in mine are the - Tornado Thumper V2 4250/06 800KV as listed from Pegasus but I'm sure I paid less than £35 the pair although that was from SMAS a few years ago, how's the build / refit going ?, mine got somewhat damaged last week due to a shelf full of rather heavy items landing on it  >>:-( . Ah well it needed a re paint anyway - now it needs substantially more  {:-{ .

HawkEye

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:39 pm »

Hi
Sorry to hear about the damage just been repairing a couple of models damaged as usual when been moved and not sailing. What have you got planned with it? still a coastguard theme?

Not done to much on the tracker: stripped everything back including splitting the deck from the hull, cut up the superstructure, made side entry points to the flying bridge, moved the section that holds the radar/ ariels etc towards the stern and chopped some bits out the deck. looks like its been attacked by a madman (me with a dremel) with the whole thing looking like its worth about 50p on ebay. Hopefully should start improving as i start with the fibreglass and body filler in the next few weeks.

Hoping it will end up looking like my profile picture.

Thanks

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 09:18:02 pm »

Its the weekend might as well spend some money.

Just purchased 2 Tornado Thumper 4250/6 Brushless Motors from Pegasus Models and 2 x 60 Amp Hobbywing SeaKing Water Cooled ESCs from Giant Shark.

Better start building.

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2013, 06:48:01 pm »

well here we go

just had a call from Pegasus Models and they dont have the 4259 Thumpers in but do have 3548 890kv Tornado Thumper V2 MK2 for an extra £10 any thoughts anyone 
[/size]
[/size]Does size matter ? 4250 compared to 3548 also 4250 listed as /06 and 3548 as /05 is this a [/size]windings difference any issues ?

[/size]Also any advice on power thinking of having a go with [/size]lipos 

[/size]Cheers

bgrunes

• Shipmate
    • Crosby Model Boat Club
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »

Hi all

Motors fitted, partial work done with super structure. Please see link for short 30sec video of test run using a heavy 12v 7ah LA Battery, should be quite frightening with lighter batts. Motors 3548 890Kv Thumpers 60A ESCs Hobbywing water cooled, 45mm cheap plastic props.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFBLy1D3QEM

Thanks

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 10:23:15 pm »

Hi, just watched the video - she looks to be running ok to me.  O0

Regards,

Ray.

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »

Seems to be running well on that combination  :-)) , how long  do you get from a charged sla ?, I must get round to repairing my one sometime.

Tony

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.