The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Steam

Marten, Howes & Baylis PB4

(1/17) > >>

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS:
This wonderful engine was built by the extremely talented late Peter Baylis of MHB. I wanted to share this engine with the forum members here because I thought that some of you would like to see this rare engine. This engine was a proto type and is the only four cylinder that was ever built by MHB. The engine has never been steamed but has been run very briefly on air. I can say that it runs very smoothly and the beautiful craftsmanship stands as testimony to Peter's talents as a model engineer.

Bunkerbarge:
Absolutely beautiful, many thanks for sharing the pictures with us Nick.  Who is going to be the brave man to put that into a boat?

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS:
I can't even bring myself to run it on steam for fear of it losing it's pristine condition let alone install it in a boat. :embarrassed: Brian Marten told me that this was the last engine they ever built. I feel like an over protective guardian of it. I feel the only boat worthy of this engine would have to be a MHB boat. It was originally designed for their torpedo launch which was going to have twin port and starboard Topaz style boilers. :-))

kiwimodeller:
Nick, a lovely looking piece of craftmanship. For those of us who are not fully conversant with the more complicated engines such as this could you please do a run down on some of the features? For instance does the valve control speed and direction and if so how? I thought it needed two separate controls on a slide valve engine. What is the set of gears and lever at the front of the crank for and what are the four tubes down the side of the engine, do they oil the bearings? Thanks in anticipation, Ian.

Underpressure:
Until I saw your photos, I had not realised just how much Cheddar 'borrowed' from MHB for the Proteus and Gemini engines. I have a Gemini here and the family ancestry is clear.

Shame not to use the engine, but on the other hand, there is an awful lot of history right there!

Thanks for sharing.

Neil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version