Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LRP 80150 speed controller  (Read 4949 times)

bellboatbob

LRP 80150 speed controller
« on: November 20, 2009, 02:17:39 am »

I am building my first radio controlled tug. http://www.umc-1.com/brian_mca.htm  Everything went fine until today. I installed all components and checked everything 5 times. I have a 7.2 volt motor from a Black and Decker drill, a Ranger II N Hitec transmitter and receiver, and a LRP 80150 speed control. I have a 6 volt sealed battery that if I connect directly to the motor it works fine. When I turn everything on the rudders work but the speed control does nothing but blink every second. I have read and reread the instructions, connected and disconnected the battery and cannot get the motor to work. Any help? I went on the "English" version of the forum on LRP's site but I cannot figure out how to ask a question as it is still mostly in German.
Thanks,
BobM

bellboatbob

Re: LRP 80150 speed controller
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:13 am »

Sorry to bother. I did it 3 more times and BINGO!, it worked. Now my problem is the direction. It goes ahead in astern. I changed the leads on the motor, but same results. Ideas?
BobM

stallspeed

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:53:25 am »

If you google  LRP 80150 you get brushless speed control.
The Black and Decker drill motor is a brushed dc motor.
Some brushless can be set for brushed (and German ones are among them) but I doubt you have it programmed properly for brushed motors even if that model is capable.
I would stop there if I were you.

bellboatbob

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:12 am »

Thanks. This model is for brushed and brushless, it is supposed to sense and set up automatically. Which I guess it finally did. It does have a setting for saving your battery but that setting I did in the beginning. Now I set the transmitter speed control to reverse but it whines and makes the motor run jerky and slow without moving the speed lever.
BobM

stallspeed

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 07:16:10 am »

It will whine!
I still doubt you have it set correctly.Is there an online set of instructions or can you scan or photograph instructions and put them on Photobucket or Flickr?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 10:38:52 am »

This appears to be a car controller.  These usually make a big point of having a brake function somewhere between forward and reverse.  This is the last thing you need on a boat controller, as reverse is the brakes, and the last thing you need as the object you are about to run into gets nearer is a delay in the stopping time..
There are plenty of brushed motor, marine ESCs available at very sensible prices.  Most modern ESCs produce a whine because of the way they work, some combinations of motor, mounting and controller more or less than others.  Good ESCs should not produce a jerky response, but some do cut in at about quarter speed.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 12:36:15 pm »

This appears to be a car controller.  These usually make a big point of having a brake function somewhere between forward and reverse.  This is the last thing you need on a boat controller, as reverse is the brakes, and the last thing you need as the object you are about to run into gets nearer is a delay in the stopping time..
There are plenty of brushed motor, marine ESCs available at very sensible prices.  Most modern ESCs produce a whine because of the way they work, some combinations of motor, mounting and controller more or less than others.  Good ESCs should not produce a jerky response, but some do cut in at about quarter speed.

Brake is a very good thing on speed controllers as it saves the unit from big change over flashes on the relays , just because it has brake does not mean it has a delay going in to reverse, brake is normally in the dead band and you just pass through it, it slows the motor so it goes in to reverse and you don't break your coupling or fry the relay points

stallspeed

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 01:08:04 pm »

Unless the instructions say otherwise,I think the only reversing brushed setting will suit racing cars only and not boats.
-brake when you pull stick back.To reverse you have to return throttle to centre and you reverse the stick again.-
There are no relays in that model.

stallspeed

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:00 pm »

From http://www.lrp.cc/fileadmin/lrp_anleitungen/anl_10047_ra00193-ai-brushless-e-070213-fv.pdf

Due to the LRP exclusive A.I. Automatic Technology, there is no need for a
manual setup of the speed-control by pushbuttons or potentiometers. All you need to do is simply plug
in the speed-control and you’re ready to go. The speed-control “learns” the neutral, full-speed forward
and full-speed reverse point of the radio system while the car is running. This way, the speed-control
has the optimized setup for every run - automaticly. Incorrect setups are a thing of the past with the LRP
A.I. BRUSHLESS (PRO) REVERSE speed-controls.

I suggest asking an LRP dealer if that model  can do instant boat type reversing. 

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 02:32:47 pm »

Bob:

Good to see you on board. How about putting up a picture or two of your new build?

John

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 02:40:26 pm »

Bob
You have purchased a speed controller which was designed for a brushless motor fitted into a car.
Your B&D motor is not brushless, and is fitted into a boat. This does not require braking but reverse is useful.
Trying to make the one fit the other is clearly causing you headaches which, as a newbie, you don't really need.
Why not remove the offending item and replace it with a proper marine speed controller, designed for brushed motors? You could sell off the LRP80150 on E-Bay to fund this new item.
I hesitate to recommend a suitable ESC..............but I will if pushed 8)
FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 05:57:03 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.