Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC rating  (Read 2015 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
ESC rating
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:49:25 pm »

Hi all.

When deciding on what rating of ESC to use for any particular motor, should you base the ESC on the motors max current draw under normal load or on its stalled current draw?

So if for example its documented the motor's max current draw under load is say 10 amps and stalled is 35 amps, should the ESC be capable of handling upto 15 amps ie 10 amps with 50% safety margin or 50 amps ie 35 amps with just under 50% safety margin?

Once that's sorted, how do you determine the in line fuse rating to be used?

Many thanks.

andygh

Re: ESC rating
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:42:20 pm »

In an ideal world the esc should be capable of handling the max current of the stalled motor and the fuse needs to be a little lower, i.e. 30A motor, 40A esc and 35A fuse.

In the real world this isn't always possible. I just try to get as close to the ideal as I can

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:32:23 pm »

IMHO the rrating of the ESC should be based on the maximum running current of the motor - that is the current drawn on full throttle in the water with the propellor you are going to use. Allow a bit of over capacity - up to 10A use a 15A or 20A ESC - 15A draw use a 20A. Try to have an overcapacity of at least 25% to 50%. Do not rate the ESC based on the stall current - you are just throwing money away if you do.

Fuse the motor at the closest value to the maximum running current you can. As a rule of thumb have the motor fuse the first value down from the maximum continuous rating of the ESC. This will fuse in the event of  a stall of the motor.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:27:19 pm »

Many thanks for the replies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.