Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Veron 041 RBR  (Read 11476 times)

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Veron 041 RBR
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 06:21:37 pm »

why would you remove the aluminium cooling coil to fit one of silicone that does not transfer heat as well ?

Peter

HS93
I wouldn't. That's why I avoided writing the word "coil" after the word "cooling". I was actually referring to a substitute for the plastic tubes which connect the coil to the inlet and outlet fittings.

Dreadstar
The 40mm prop would take some of the load off the motor; I'd recommend giving it a try to see exactly what difference it does make.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

Dreadstar

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »

Test running it in the ubiquitous bath test tank,it certainly seems to achieve higher revs FLJ,and about the same pulling power. Good call. :-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 06:47:51 pm »

Dreadstar what type of piping have you got going to the water cooling coil.

peter

Dreadstar

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 12:06:02 am »

Silicon fuel line piping. I found out what the problem was though. The piping that went to the outlet pipe had hardened,thus no longer making a seal on the outlet spigot,so although it was pumping some water through the outlet,the rest was being pumped into the bottom of the boat. :embarrassed:  I've just finished replacing the old outlet piping,so fingers crossed  :-))

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 12:14:51 am »

I thought it was by looking at it thats why I queried it, if it is pushing of it will prob mean the outlet it to small replace it with some large tube K@S do some that is nice thin walled and can be epoxied out the side, make shore its where you can see it when you run at speed.

peter

Dreadstar

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 12:24:05 am »

Good idea Peter,at the moment,it vents out the rear of the boat. I've also lightened the front of the boat a little,by finally managing to remove the two aluminium fuel tanks from either side of the forward edge of the cockpit. It may only be a mere 3 oz's in total,but it will help to lighten the front a bit more.

Dreadstar

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 12:08:45 pm »

The difference in pitch between the original 45mm racing prop,as fitted to the model when I got her,and the 40mm prop that I've now fitted to her. I'm going to order up some 35mm racing props for her at 0.81 pitch,and see how they do.

Dreadstar

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 11:34:45 am »

I've sorted out the problems with the water cooling lines,and I'm now venting the water out of the port side of the boat,rather than through the transom. I was testing the system in the bath again,and I noticed that the rudder access area was beginning to fill with water again. I've sealed up the vent spigot,and drilled a hole in the port side instead,where it's a lot easier to see the water being pumped out,rather than at the stern,where unless your very lucky,you really can't see if the water is exiting the boat properly. Thanks for that tip Peter. :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 12:20:02 pm »

Check that the water isn't coming up the rudder tube. Just a thought.
FLJ

Dreadstar

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2010, 01:19:06 pm »

It wasn't FLJ,it was coming down the way from the spigot,that's why i decided to change the outlet location. :-)

Dreadstar

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:03 am »

Got some decal stickers through from Vintage today,to finish her off,as well as some 35mm Graupner 451.2 & 455.2 props. I'm not sure which of the two to fit to her,but I'll probably try it with both,just to see which one works best.

Thanks for the decals Mark.

David.

Dreadstar

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2010, 01:29:56 pm »

Not an easy job to find some open water today,but here's some photo's and a short vid from Loch Lomond.Graupner 455 (35mm) prop fitted.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l4/xuihpilli/?action=view&current=DSCN1355.flv

Dreadstar

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:13 am »

Which type of prop would you recommend for this type of boat,as I feel that the 455(2-blade) just isn't giving her enough of a kick. Would a Graupner 2299 series K 3-blade be a better choice(36mm dia x 1.4 pitch),or is that too excessive? {:-{

Dreadstar

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 01:23:44 pm »

I've changed the motor in her from a Speed 600 ECO to a Speed 600 Race. I hadn't realised that there were more than the one type of 600,and the Race type develops,unloaded,an extra 6000rpm@7.2V. This should see a marked improvement in speed over the ECO,and with a little luck,she might just get near to the plane. :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

The model seems to be running well bow-high in all of the pictures. On the basis that the original I/C version had very little weight aft of the motor it might be worth experimenting with moving the battery pack forward.
Don't forget that a faster motor will require a smaller prop to avoid overloading it in operation.
FLJ

Dreadstar

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 09:46:58 am »

I already have the pack as far forward as I can get it,so it looks like I'll need to add some weight to the bow end of the motor compartment. {:-{

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 11:23:14 am »

Adding weight to a planing model is to be avoided if at all possible. Have you thought about splitting the batteries into two series-wired packs, one each side of the motor? If you're running on 7.2v (six cells) then it's easy to do (or buy). An odd number of cells would result in uneven weight distribution side-to-side, so you'd need to compensate somehow.
Another thought is to try adding a transom-mounted trim tab, turned down at the trailing edge to raise the stern at speed.
FLJ

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 12:53:32 pm »

I think trim tabs are already fitted although, from the images posted above (reply 19), they look as though they've been positioned too high. It's difficult to tell but they look to be attached with their baseline someway up the transom as opposed to at the base where they need to be in order to have any effect.

Trim tabs need to follow the underside, & form an extension of, the hull as a starting point - from here they can be tweaked downwards at their trailing edge as has been suggested.

Mark.
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Dreadstar

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

Thanks for that lads,I'll reposition the tabs so that they're in the correct place. The water was quite choppy today,and I had a lot of problems trying to get her to run with any great speed. In future,I'm not going to try running in water like that again,as the ammount of water that came over the coaming was excessive to say the least. {:-{

Dreadstar

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 05:52:58 pm »

Not that there was much in the way of clear water today,but I tried her out with the new Speed 600 race motor,and the repositioned tabs. What a difference that's made,she's quieter and faster,and actually makes it onto the plane now. Top marks for the tips lads,I'm really impressed. :-))

Dreadstar

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »

Short vid of the RBR today at Elder Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSf1OcbXQc

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2010, 07:30:43 pm »

That looks much better  :-))

Might be worth tweaking the trailing edge of the trim tabs down further to see what effect it has....

Mark.
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Dreadstar

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2010, 05:24:05 pm »

Well,now that I've seen the difference that the correctly placed tabs have on her performance,it shouldn't take too much down trim to sort her out now. I was really surprised at just how fast she was compared to the 600 ECO motor,and I can see that she's still carrying her bow a bit too high. I'm going to try giving her 3 deg down trim on the tabs and see how that does,then it'll just be a case of fine trimming from there. :-))

modelpilot

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:49 am »

Does anyone have a kit or plan of this model they would wish to sell?

Regards Steve Ogden

Dekan

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:27 pm »

Veron kits chief designer was Phil Smith.... Colin, his son was trying trying to sort out his boat plans the last time I spoke to him....Kit is anybody guess... may be Ebay
might turn up one.

Mob phone no is 077 477 227 24 No email
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.