Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windermere Steam Launch 'Shamrock' Devasted By Recent Floods  (Read 11273 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Windermere Steam Launch 'Shamrock' Devasted By Recent Floods
« on: December 20, 2009, 10:42:28 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I have been at odds with whether to post this or not as it isn't my problem to deal with, but after communicating with the owner of this beautiful launch he wishes me to try any avenue I can.

Here is the letter he submitted to the National Historic Ships Register regarding funding to rebuild her;

Dear Sirs,

Steam Launch Shamrock

I write to seek the help of The National Historic Ships Register with my project to repair the Edwardian Steam Launch Shamrock, a preserved Edwardian Windermere Steam Launch owned and restored by myself and is the only classic Edwardian Steam launch on Windermere.  She is registered with The National Historic Ships Register (Certificate No. 65)

Background.

SL Shamrock was commissioned on 7th June 1906, having been built by Nathanial Shepherd of Bowness-on-Windermere.  I purchased Shamrock as a wreck in 1976 to prevent this historic launch being burnt on the Guy Faulkes bonfire.  It took the next three years to bring her an operable condition, with a further ten years to bring her pristine condition.  The Register contains pictures of Shamrock.

I and Shamrock host a rally of steam launches on Windermere and we participate in the Steam Boat Associations rallies also on Windermere.

Unfortunately, during the extreme weather conditions in November, the water level of Windermere rose an unprecedented 9 feet 7 inches above datum. Shamrock was moored in her boat house at Wray Castle, and topside equipment removed to allow for previously experienced extreme water levels, 7 feet above datum level, experienced in 2008.

I did everything possible to avoid damage, but due to flooding all around the area, including the access to my home, I was not able to get to the boat house for three days.

The high water level resulted in Shamrock’s cabin roof being crushed against the roof truss causing considerable damage to the roof, louvers, and cabin sides.

Unfortunately I am not insured for this type of incident as the premium is beyond my means. Prior to the incident, I have continued to maintain Shamrock in an excellent state of repair.

Project Proposal.

I wish to repair Shamrock, recovering as much of the original material as practical.

I have approached a local wooden boat builder for an estimate of the repair costs, which are £7,850 ex VAT, a sum beyond my own resources.

I would wish to carry this work out so that I can continue to support the steam boat activities on Windermere during 2010.

Once the renovation project is complete, SL Shamrock will be able once more sail on Windermere to provide an realistic example of this aspect of Edwardian life.  Successful completion of the project will enable me to continue to demonstrate this Edwardian form of transport on Windermere, into the long term future.  If we do not carry out this work, the quality of the experience, and with it the number of people enjoying it, will decline.

Project Timetable.

Once I have the necessary funds in place I will commission the repairs.
Publicity and Promotion.

In 2009 Shamrock participated in the publicity associated with the launch of the new National Historic Ships’ Register web site.  Once Shamrock is repaired I would be more than willing for her to be used in anyway to publicise historic steam boating and the National Historic Ship’s Register.

Operational Costs.

I cover from my own resources all operating and maintenance costs for Shamrock; rental of boat house, fuel, registration fees; boiler inspections and insurance; Third party insurance; etc

As I am retired my income is very limited.

I am not VAT registered.

Finance and Fundraising

The total costs identified are £7,850 ex VAT

A steam boating enthusiast, on hearing of my predicament has donated £1,000 towards the repairs.

Other grants and sponsorship I will be approaching other Trusts and Organisations to seek their help.

Individual Donors. I will be seeking help from the Steam Boating community

I write to seek funding under the National Historic Ships Grant for £3,000 towards the costs of these repairs.  We would ask for a decision at the meeting of the Award Panel on 1 February to enable us to undertake this work in time for the 2010 rally in June.

I hope that the information contained in this letter will enable you to consider this application fully but please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any further information.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Mallinson

I can't copy the pics from the letter, but the cabin is destroyed- a further email has notified me that Roger has used the £1000 already to secure teak planks to reconstruct the roof.

This is notification that if you are, or you know of any individulas that could be charitable and help in a financial way it would be most welcome- details can be sorted out between Roger and whoever, if anyone, comes forward.

This isn's a begging letter, and though small change would be gratefully recieved, a large charitable donation would be the obvious best route.

Thanks for taking the time to read this- if you are seriously interested please PM me and I can forward the full letter to you.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windermere Steam Launch 'Shamrock' Devasted By Recent Floods
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 08:50:47 pm »

So £2.50 from each Mayhem member should crack it?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

Now there's a thought....

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:41:35 pm »

Sounds good to me. I would suggest setting up a Paypal account to send donations but Paypal would get a cut of the money. Is there anything else that could be used to electronically send donations?

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »

Leave this with me and I'll see what I can do guys. Thanks for the support- highly appreciated :-))

Greg

bobdoc

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:29:19 pm »

There's at least one site that can accept sponsorship payments for marathons and the like. I have donated before bust can't remember the name(s) - I think it is also possible to get HMRC to wave standard tax. Will have a dig back through finances to see it I can identify such.

Bobdoc

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:52:03 pm »

There's at least one site that can accept sponsorship payments for marathons and the like. I have donated before bust can't remember the name(s) - I think it is also possible to get HMRC to wave standard tax. Will have a dig back through finances to see it I can identify such.

Bobdoc

Is it this site. 

http://www.justgiving.com/

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:12:47 pm »

Hi Longbuild, bobdoc,

Thanks for that guys, it is certainly one avenue to be looked at- i'll get in touch with the relevant people.

Greg

Sea Commander

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 12:00:36 am »

Hope nobody minds,

I have posted this on another steam forum, hope it helps -

One of my most treasured memories was steaming on the lake in Swallow, from the steam boat museum  - Wonderful !

Best of luck

Mark

kusuchi

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:11:35 am »

Sounds good to me. I would suggest setting up a Paypal account to send donations but Paypal would get a cut of the money. Is there anything else that could be used to electronically send donations?

Paypal now have a personal section for 'Gifts", I believe.  This has been a feature in the UK for some time but has only recently been introduced in the US.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 07:26:19 am »

Hi Sea Commander,

Thankyou for posting this on another forum, it all helps :-)

If you think Swallow is (or should that be was!!!!! >>:-( ) nice, you should see Shamrock, apart from a few scars of little bumps over her 105year life she is in perfect condition, far better than any of the boats in the museum were, all because of Roger's efforts.

Kusuchi,

PM recieved, i've replied. Thanks

Greg

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 03:38:54 am »

Greg,

Do you have any new info on the status of a donation site or method for Roger? I'm getting third degree burns on my leg from this donation money burning a whole in my pocket.  {-)

Cheers

Nick

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 06:37:30 pm »

Hi Guys,

Yes there is an update of sorts- the SBA are in the process of setting up a Paypal donation weblink on the 'steam boat trust's new website (might still be under construction). This is the new charitable side of the SBA, but it is still in flegling phase.

I have recieved an offer of a donation of £1000 from a very kind member on this website already!

I will, as I promised, let you know as soon as I do any progress.

Thanks for the upheld enthusiasm Nick.

Greg

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 09:53:14 pm »

Hi guys,

Recent update-

Funds to date-

£2000 from an anonymous generous Mayhem member.
£1000 from close friend of Roger, the owner, and fellow SBA member
£200 from another SBA member.

Also, Shamrock is appearing on 'Great British Railway Journeys' on BBC2 tomorrow (13th Jan) at 6:30pm, hosted by Michael Portillo this well produced series is on Windermere, and as such Portillo dons an Edwardian captain's uniform with Roger as engineer. The plant is to his own design, and the boat is kept in the condition she is presented in by Roger and has taken many years to become that way.

Please imagine this wonderful boat in the sad condition she is in now if you watch the programme and see if you can help in any way.

Thanks.

Greg

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »

Hi,

Quick update-

The newly inaugurated Heritage Steamboat Trust is setting up a paypal donation fund as we speak- will let you know the link as soon as I know it.

Greg

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

Finally some real progress- here's the link to Steamboat Trust's websit where donation facilities are- www.steamboattrust.org.uk/Shamrock_appeal.htm

Progress update on the launch- Shamrock's cabin has been dismantled and is at the boatbuilders for them to take measurements and set up moulding machines to replicate the hand carved mouldings in seasoned teak.

Greg

kusuchi

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:21 am »

Hi Greg,

How are the fund raising and reconstruction efforts for Shamrock proceeding?  Hope all is going well!

It  would be a real treat to have the opportunity to see this wonderful launch in person on some future visit to the UK.

Perhaps that is partially because I can't help but notice certain similarities:  ;)

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:52:52 am »

£10.00 in the pot  :-))
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.