Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY  (Read 70935 times)

shalonaa67

OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:11:53 pm »

Hello,
This is my first post on here so I thought that as I am building a new model that I would share it with you all.
I am a full time commercial fisherman from Lowestoft (Pictures of my boat are attached), she is a 32 foot Scottish wooden built trawler/potter that I use for longlining and netting.She is Larch on Oak and weighs 11 tons.  I also take out angling parties at weekends too.

When im not doing all of this, I like to make some progress on the Model Slipway kit that my partner bought for my christmas present.
I wont go into detail about the kit as it has been covered at length elsewhere but here are some pictures of the progress since christmas day.

The Hull size with my 2 year old daughter sitting in it!!!

Bow Thruster tube in place

Stern/Running Gear Glassed in:

Rudder/Kort Nozzle/Etc:

Size of hull:

As you can see, I have also cut out the space for the anchor box in the forward hull and the stern net appetures too. Next will be the bilge keels, anchor box construction and filling around the skeg/kort Nozzle, etc before the main deck beams go in.

I hope you enjoy my build thread.

shalonaa67

Re: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:15:33 pm »

More Photo's:

Hull Steps and Anchor Box:

Bilge Keels:

Bradley

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »

Welcome to the forum, shalonaa67.  You are certainly not hanging about with your build - very interesting and good photos. :-))

Derek.

shalonaa67

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 10:19:56 pm »

I have got nothing else on the table or to do over the holiday period, except one party of anglers to take out tomorrow.

So, wont get anymore building done until I get back in from sea tomorrow afternoon and kids are fed, bathed and in bed when the mess on the table commences once agin, much to my other halves delight!  <*<

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »

Welcome to the Mayhem, shalonaa67   :-)

Strong looking build... no chance of the propshaft ever working it's way loose!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »

Hi shalonaa67
What a great Christmas present and of to a flying start ,have you set yourself a finish date?
keep the pic's coming please.

spud

ggeorge

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »

Welcome aboard,Looking forward to your build.
G.George

TugFan

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »

Wow. I really wanted this kit for Christmas but Slipway won't be shipping it to the States until after January.  >>:-( Looks like you could put anything you want in that big hull. All kinds of sound, lights, the kitchen sink.

TugFan

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »

Any more done on this build?

Michel

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:35:32 pm »

It looks verry nice  :-))

I am also building the our lass 2 but I am not as far as you. Keep up the good work.
I will follow your build and there is no doubt that I will learn some things here.

shalonaa67

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:15:26 pm »

Hi Guys,
Sorry its been a couple of weeks since I updated this build but I have been out at sea while the weather has been calm but cold!!

For those of you who have asked, heres a picture of the wheelhouse interior, albeit on my last boat, but it gives you an idea of what us commercial fishermen have in our cabins:

And heres some of last Fridays catch before it was landed into the market:

Now, back to the model!

The deck beams and formaers were bonded in with epoxy and the rear lower deck bulwarks filled and sanded, then the decks were laid and left to dry for a couple of days, but be warned, the hull on the model is so out of shape that it took 2 days for the hull to pull in in the warm and settle.

I will do some more tonight in the way of filling and sanding around the deck adges and sorting out tidying up the hull steps, etc.

More updates as and when I get some more done this week, which with this weather at the moment should be quite frequently!!!!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 04:05:24 pm »

Hi there, I'm also building Our Lass II. Am at about the same stage, just fixed the deck in place today. Will try put some photos on of my own if I can find the camera to computer lead! Dave :-))

Michel

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56:59 pm »

Hi,

I have noticed that the tube of the rudder ends about 5mm below the waterline. 
So it may be better to ballast a bit less to prevent water comming in ;)

Grtz,

Michel.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 03:37:02 pm »

Just done a bit more to the cabin today, some pics now have found camera lead! Enjoying the build so far with no real problems (yet!) Dave :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 05:12:55 pm »

Finally done bit more to Our Lass. Primed the hull grey so can better see where needs filler, will prime her white before topcoat. Started mast on top of cabin and done lot of interior. Hopefully do lot more over coming days. Thoroughly enjoying this build, top marks to Model Slipway, Dave. :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 05:07:57 pm »

Started work on the rear gantry and crane today,replacing inner part of hydraulic rams with brass rod instead of the plastic tube to give it bit more strength and moves more easily...

nathanbint

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:21 pm »

i bet this will look smart when it has finished

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 11:49:43 pm »

Good pics, good progress and good builds, folks!  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:29 am »

Thanks for the comments, she'll be impressive when done (hopefully).%) This is one of the best kits to build from I've done so far, and there have been quite a lot, top marks to Jackie and Laurie at MSW. Can't wait to see the CNC Maggie M when she's ready. Dave. :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 03:59:50 pm »

Rear gantry and crane almost finished, just hydraulic lines to go on after painting. Put in place temporarily to show layout... :-)

Michel

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 09:57:49 pm »

Verry nice build number 6  :-))

After about 3 months I am only at the stage of the deck supports due to lack of time to build  :((

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:37 pm »

Thanks for comments. I know the feeling, too much to do and not enough hours in the day. Got 2 days off now so hope to do some more to her, that's the plan anyway! :-)

oruna1

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 12:07:44 am »

I've started building one too.  I've changed a few things, used fiberglass for the main and lower decks, and I did most of the hull interior stuff so I'm a little behind but at least I'm not working through a 6" x 6" opening.  She is quite a hull, I can't wait to get it in the water.  Here's a link to some pics of where I am so far:

http://s852.photobucket.com/albums/ab84/oruna1/our%20lass%20II%20kit%20pics/?action=postuploadshare

Both builds in the forum so far are very nice indeed  :-)) , I hope I can do as nice a job

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 06:09:26 pm »

Looking good. I know what you mean about the opening, a bit like keyhole surgery if you don't sort the running gear etc out first. Keep us posted on the build, Dave. :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 06:21:15 pm »

All very well fixing all your running gear first, but make sure you can remove it if necessary.  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.