Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hot Motor.  (Read 2083 times)

Davenotdone

Hot Motor.
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:26:50 pm »

High! After knocking up a model Hornby 00 railway ( for the kids of course ) running round on a shelf ( the layout is now 18ft x 6ft x 18ft x 6ft, i decided i wanted a change in modelling and have allways been interested in r/c model boats. After browsing the 'tinternet' i found the Dickie tug conversions very interesting and thought i would have a go myself, i mean, how hard can it be???? After getting the tug i stripped it down and made the usual changes, 2 channel r/c, 6v gel cel battery etc. I thought the  cheap and nasty prop looked a bit small and installed a new stuffing tube, shaft and a Rivabo 4 blade 45mm prop on it but kept the original ( 385 type i think? ) motor. Ah well, off to Stanley Park in good old Blackpool with 2 very excited ( and one proud Dad ) kiddies. The tug ran great, i remember reading  other people running these saying that they get an hour or two running time but i was a bit fed up that after about 40mins the radio started to fade and the tug was a lot slower than when i started. I bought the tug in and looked inside, the boat was bone dry ( good ) bur the motor was too hot to touch!!  ( bad!!). I have two questions, am i trying to turn  too big a prop with the original motor and allso instead of using a 6v gel cel battery would a 7.2v 4700mah NIMH stick type battery give me a longer running time ( yes i know they are about £25, the gel cell option would be cheaper!! ) I am thinking of buying from Mobile Marine one of there T4A motors ( 6 to 12 v, they say it's a slow revving slugger ) as it looks like it could the power i need to turn my prop. Any other suggestions of a motor would be great, i have dropped in a 545 size motor bit it's way too big and i did'nt fancy major surgery of ripping out the stuffing tube and starting all over again!!!

andygh

Re: Hot Motor.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:05 pm »

Yes, a 45mm prop is far to big for a 385 motor direct drive. You need to gear it, fit a larger motor or a smaller prop. Fitting a 7.2v battery pack will probably just burn the motor out faster

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 08:26:54 pm »

Hi Dave

When I did my conversion of the Dickie tug for my wife I kept the original prop and installed a 6V 5ah SLA battery.

It goes like a train and she hasn't flattened the battery yet.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Davenotdone

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:48:47 am »

Hi! thanks for the info. Would you know the size of the original prop please, obviously i got rid of mine and allso do you know where i could get an original stand from as the kids left ours by the lakeside!!, Regards, Dave.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:05:27 pm »

The original prop will be just fine, and the motor should be very adequate.  As a rule of thumb, use a prop about the same diameter as the motor.  Gary at Red Bank Models probably has something that will fit.
My lot sails at Fairhaven, just a little way away from Stanley Park, but the big advantage is that the walk between car and water is much shorter (unless you were launching just by the bridges).  Downside is, its salty, but nothing that a bit of servicing between runs doesn't cure.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.