Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Model Boat Mayhem Forum!  (Read 141030 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Welcome to the Model Boat Mayhem Forum!
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:10:12 am »

"Membership is a privilege , not a right."

Rules at a Glance

No off colour humour.
No attacking other members.
No trolling.
No racist, homophobic, sexist, or sectarian comments.
No potentially inflammatory political, religious or other topics.
No posting of copyrighted materials.
Any of the above are likely to be removed from the Forum and may, in appropriate cases, attract a yellow warning or red card ban.
Users who wish to sell items must be a Full Mayhemer, ie. 25 contributory post on Mayhem.
A blue typeface is restricted to the use of the Site Owner and Moderators.
The decisions of Martin (site owner) and the Moderators are final.

Rules in Full
Membership is granted on the basis that we will be polite at all times and respect each other’s views.
The governing ethos of the Forum will be common sense and common courtesy at all times.
Discussions will be conducted in a civilised manner.
Bad language will not be tolerated, neither will “flaming” or belittling another member.
Any criticism should be expressed in a constructive manner with a view to taking the issue under discussion forward.
Otherwise don’t post!

Posts should always be appropriate to the thread. Topics are not be hijacked by irrelevant posts which contribute nothing to the subject matter.
If you want to be frivolous there are plenty of opportunities in the general “Chit Chat” section.
Posts maybe moved or delete at any time by the team of moderators.
Moderators will indicate the reason for the moderation on the post if it has been modified in   BLUE TEXT,    therefore blue text is reserved for moderation and administrators only please.

We all like a joke but remember that we have younger members and guests on the Forum so don’t post anything inappropriate, this is a family oriented forum.

Members join the forum as "Shipmates", after 25 "valid" postings you will automatically be promoted to "Full Mayhemer" which will allow you to use the Sales board.

Penalties.
Sometimes it may be necessary for Moderators to intervene for relatively minor reasons, posters taking a thread off
topic for example. This just requires a little common sense and usually a friendly warning, either on the post or by
PM will be sufficient in which case that will be the end of the matter.

For more serious infringements, or where there the member does not respond to a friendly warning , the
Moderator will issue a formal “Yellow Card” warning and take action by deleting or modifying the offending post as appropriate.
Any member incurring two “Yellow Card” warnings in a 30 day period will receive a "Red Card" ban and locked out of the forum.

For very serious infringements of the rules or unreasonable behaviour the offender will receive an immediate "Red Card" ban.

All bans will be considered permanent except that after 30 days the offender can apply to be readmitted to the Forum. There is no automatic right to this and it can only be done with the agreement of Martin (Forum owner) and the Moderator Board. Re admittance will only be granted if an undertaking is given with regard to future good behaviour. Needless to say, if a subsequent ban is made on the individual concerned then the chances of future readmission will not be high.

Occasionally there will be a tidying up of topics/threads. As this is clearly notified on open forum (***topic tidied up***) no further notification will usually be made.

Any discussions about moderating decisions should be done by PM with the moderator concerned, in the first instance. Doing so on open forum is not acceptable.

Regardless of the above, if Martin and the Moderator Board consider that the conduct of an individual is not in the best interests of the smooth and harmonious running of the Forum then a formal “Yellow Card” warning will be issued, normally by Personal Message. If no subsequent improvement takes place then a ban will be applied.

The Moderators decisions are law.
The Forum Owner's word is final.

Also......
You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum. By submitting a post a Member accepts that all text and illustrations will remain on the Forum until such time as the Mayhem Site Owner decides to remove them. In submitting a post a Member accepts full responsibility for ensuring no rights of ownership or copyright have been infringed.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your posted messages. Furthermore, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries. The owners of this forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any other related information collected on this service) in the event of a formal complaint or legal action arising from any situation caused by your use of this forum.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another person except an administrator, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another person's account for any reason.  We also HIGHLY recommend you use a complex and unique password for your account, to prevent account theft.

After you register and login to this forum, you will be able to fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information the forum owner or staff determines to be inaccurate or vulgar in nature will be removed, with or without prior notice. Appropriate sanctions may be applicable.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Also note that the software places a cookie, a text file containing bits of information (such as your username and password), in your browser's cache. This is ONLY used to keep you logged in/out. The software does not collect or send any other form of information to your computer.

If you've read down this far well done, you must be a solicitor!
Enjoy the forum.

Martin & the volunteer moderator team.  :-)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:23:20 pm »

I've been asked to remove the other thread about a few individuals become short tempered, which I'm happy to do but I've started and locked this topic so the rules are clear for all to see - don't like it? - Join another forum.

I've been receiving a number of complaints from forum members about a couple of "Flame wars" that have appeared on the forum. As you know these are not tolerated and I have had to 'Moderate' several topics and in one case delete the entire topic because of the fractious interchanges.

I've been asked to consider introducting a "Three Strikes and your out" policy, i.e.if someone's posts have to be moderated three times, a one week ban will be imposed, then is the behaviour persists, a one month ban.... and then a 3 month ban... followed by a permanent ban.

I've only had to ban 2 people so far... we all grown ups here ...... think twice, type once. Don't drink and type either!

So far this has been a real good natured forum and it worth all the time spent on it and remember it's very popular with the kids!!!

Regards and thanks to all forum members and anyone with a model boat!

Martin Forum Admin.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Forum Rules, respect for other and keeping the peace.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:15 am »

No forum member should have to put up with any personal rants on this forum, that NOT what it's for.

I've said it time and time again, and I repeating it again now,

I HATE  DISRESPECT IN ANY FORM.
WE WILL NOT TOLERATE BERATING OF OTHER FORUM MEMBERS.

Running this forum takes hours and hours every day by myself, the moderators, a number of other unsung heroes and it would
be nothing with your contributions each and every day. To have members coming to me saying they "can't bear to see the way
the deteriorating", is a real personal defeat for me. A number of former active members no long contribute partially in fear of being
shouted down by people that know less then they do in a particular field.

WELL ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
Don't like that rules leave.
Don't like the way I / the moderators run this forum leave.
Don't  think you have to show mutual respect, leave.

This is a family centric forum built on mutual respect, encouragement and sharing of mutual knowledge. If you have a contra
point of view, you don't have to shout someone else down to make your point I don't want to have to deal with petulant
behaviour from grown adults and why should ! have to? This is not a spit-&-sawdust salon in the Wild West! Most of can
disagree but have learnt not to be disagreeable. Stick to the ethos of the forum and we'll all benefit from it. As someone
said to me a while ago, "membership of this forum is a privilege, not a human right!"

Rant over. Now who has something interesting to say about model boats.

Martin - Admin.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Welcome to the Model Boat Mayhem Forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:29 am »

ADVICE ON RESOLVING PROBLEMS BETWEEN BUYERS AND SELLERS.

The following is written by a former Chief Trading Standards Officer whose staff dealt with as many as 13,000 complaints each year. It is not definitive but is intended to help those who are party to disputes and to explain why Model Boat Mayhem is reluctant to allow free rein by Members and Traders who may attempt to publish complaints or comment on the posts of others.

First of all:   Keep calm.
 It is far too easy to feel righteously aggrieved and blast off in a public arena in a way which will help nobody. It also gets backs up at the very start.

Secondly:  Tell the truth, the whole truth.
  Although apparently attractive to do so, it does not help your case if you describe only the parts of the issue which you feel support your argument. Remember the other party can do the same from their point of view. Later, when things you have not told emerge, your case appears weakened.

Thirdly:  Never threaten.
 Civilised processes cannot be conducted under threat and in any case you are most unlikely to be able to give effect to them!

Remember that your concern is all absorbing to you, uppermost in your mind and very frustrating. However, for the other parties it may be just another issue in the day and cannot, necessarily be the first priority.

Also think that technical services can fail. Phone messages may not be passed on; answer machines may not work; Emails may not get through and letters may be lost or delayed. We hope it does not happen but it can and does so when dealing with other folk just remember that may have happened and the fact that someone says it did is not always a lie!

You want to resolve the issue, don't you? So, why not say, “Did you receive my message?” rather than, “Why didn’t you reply?” Or, “Is there a problem?” rather than, “What’s the matter with your set up”. Give the other person a chance to satisfy you, encourage them.

Keep good notes. When did you order. What did you order. How did you order. Who did you speak to. When. What was said. Keep copies of everything.

When placing orders or agreeing something put a time deadline into the contract. “Goods to be delivered within 10 days unless otherwise agreed between us”. Or, “Please reply within 5 days”.

Remain reasonable in your expectations. You cannot expect personalised and superb performance all the time so ensure your wishes are clearly expressed and achievable.

If things start to go wrong put your concerns in writing and clearly state what you expect to happen and by when (again be reasonable). Keep a copy.

If things still go wrong, write by some form of recorded delivery.
If you are unable to resolve a dispute writing to “Watchdog”; going to the local newspaper or trying to involve Model Boat Mayhem is unlikely to achieve anything other than deterioration in the matter.

If you cannot resolve the issue you may need professional advice. You can use a solicitor; seek help from your local Citizens Advice Bureau or your local Trading Standards or Consumer Protection office. But they will have no legal powers to assist. If all else fails you may have to go to the County Court, they cannot do it for you but they will advise. If you do seek help take all your documents and notes with you.

However, before going that far you need to reflect if the price of the goods makes it worthwhile.

Please, never proceed on “the principle”. Principles are seldom achieved in law!

Yes, it sounds complicated and long drawn out. However, that is how it is. Skip any or some of these points and you may not succeed.

One final thing: On a more cheerful note. When things go well let us tell each other. We may have problems now and then but more often than not we are satisfied so say so. A little praise goes a long way.

(Especially written by Roger in France, a Mayhem Moderator to assist Mayhem Members and explain why Mayhem believes its Forum cannot be used to resolve complaints, fairly.)

Model Boat Mayhem - Moderation team.

harinell

What Mayhem is all about!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:55:25 am »

how does someone like me get to 25 post, I'am a member with very little to say, I'am trying to learn about model boats only been interested since last november,feel I could not give good information.

Wasyl

Re: What Mayhem is all about!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

there,s bound to be some topics on here whereby you might be able to contribute to,...i.e.do some research for nameing "that Ship" or that Part,....have a guess,..tell us what boats you like,what boats you,d like to have, ..the list is endless,....

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 11:11:44 am »

Why do you particularly want to get to 25 posts Harinell, there is no obligation to post until you feel you have something you particularly want to say? In the meantime just read and enjoy.

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 11:18:22 am »

Quality Harinell not Quantity :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 12:12:39 pm »

Perhaps he,wants to sell an item,hence the 25 post mark,?

Wullie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:47 pm »

Possibly, but this is a Model Boat Forum not an Ebay substitute bazaar. Members who have contributed to the Forum can advertise as a concession. Otherwise anyone could just register and use Mayhem as a free sales site. That is why we have the sales rules.

Colin

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »

If you have nothing to contribute then find an alternative method of selling your items.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Wasyl

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 02:34:35 pm »

Possibly, but this is a Model Boat Forum not an Ebay substitute bazaar. Members who have contributed to the Forum can advertise as a concession. Otherwise anyone could just register and use Mayhem as a free sales site. That is why we have the sales rules.

Colin
??????keep your shirt on Colin,i was only ..perhapsing,

Wullie

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 02:41:39 pm »

Colin

Hear hear there have been to many in the past who just want to use the site as there shop and who do not contribute to the site.

Peter

harinell

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:29 pm »

Yes I want to sell boating items, but I also want to learn from this site, at this moment I'am  scratch building a windermere launch to my own design, for planking I'am useing mahogany coloured lathe blinds cut to size on a proteck table saw which is excellent for this job, has any other member used this material?.

Wasyl

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 04:06:47 pm »

At least you are being upfront,...but why do I get the feeling,a pile of bricks is coming your way, {:-{

Wullie

Boy From the Bay

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

Yes I want to sell boating items, but I also want to learn from this site, at this moment I'am  scratch building a windermere launch to my own design, for planking I'am useing mahogany coloured lathe blinds cut to size on a proteck table saw which is excellent for this job, has any other member used this material?.

Then start a build log. Show us how you are getting on.
You can also ask questions when you need to. Lot of people can help out.

harinell

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 04:49:52 pm »

thank you Boy from the Bay for your suggestion, will take some photos and gather information together from when I started this project.

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:34 pm »

I think what a lot of the older members do not realise is that to a beginner this site can be some what intimerdating. Not that the members here would want that at all.

As a for instance a personal friend of mine joined a few weeks ago and his comment to me went something to the effect of.......

There was obviously so much knowledge held by the people here he did not want to appear silly by asking basic questions.

I tried to put him right. That most members are only to happy to help and quoted myself as an instance. I have learnt an awful lot from the people here but when I see some of the craftmanship I still feel well down the list.

Hope I have manage to put that thought over as I mean it to be.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »

Nobody minds people asking basic questions but it helps if newbies have a good look around the site first and use the search facility to try and answer queries. It's possible that their basic questions will be answered that way. There is a huge amount of information on Mayhem, it's there for the taking and it's all free!

Colin

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »

Then start a build log. Show us how you are getting on.

This is not obligatory Harinell, gives the impression that if you don't do a log, then your questions or advise is invalid.Some of us don't need the sycophantic praise others seem to crave.

By all means try the search function to find answers and when you've tried it, report to others on how to use it cos strangely enough, many repeat questions appear, so the advise only applies to some, and yes, some postings do seem intimidatory %)

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 06:35:48 pm »

I don't really think there is any problem with any form of exchange of information on here.  I hope that we manage to help anyone who needs it in any way we can and steam is certainly a mine field that people sometimes need guiding through.  The suggestion above for a build log was only an example of how to give something to the forum, there are plenty of other ways if that isn't to your liking.

My only concern is members who think they can sign up simply to sell their model boat items cheaply and seem to think they have the right to do that.  We are primarliy a forum for the exchange of ideas on all things model boat related with the intention of helping those who need it.  As a by product we let members sell thier stuff as well but we are not here as a cheap alternative to eBay.  Consequently we ask that members post at least 25 contributory posts.  25 one liners will simply be removed if we feel it is simply a way of getting around the requirement.

I think it is very fair and reasonable to ask members to contribute before using the sales board.  If anyone feels they have nothing to contribute then feel free to use what ever  alternative means of selling your models you can find.  None of them give you something for nothing so why should it be expected here?

Maybe a fairer option would be to allow anyone to sell anything they want whenever they want, and charge for it O0
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:20:14 pm »

Being a fellow Yorkist (even if I do now live in the land of the red rose), I take offence at that suggestion BB- never charge for something when you can get it free <*< (albeit at the 'cost' of 25 contributions to this wonderful site).

I suggest Harinell that you post a build blog- not [only] for praise for your skills, but it allows others to admire and be inspired by them. We all like to learn a thing or two on here, and your project- a POF Windermere launch is a rare thing- many just use a GRP hull and work from there.

Perhaps you would get the ball rolling here and let us know a little about yourself? Perhaps occupation, other interests etc. that allow us to understand your skills and why you particularly enjoy model boating- what you bring to the table in effect, and what you are looking to take from it.

Not only that but I am very interested in your project on a personal level being involved in the steamboat museum project.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »

Hello, Window blinds could be made from "Ramin", another type of blind that I use is is made from "Bamboo"
which is an excellent material, lovely colour for decks and being a grass, has no grain as such,  Nemesis

Lord Bungle

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 08:39:07 pm »

Hello, its surprising how soon you will hit 25 posts if you read through the threads I did this and found things to comment on, Asking questions is how we learn, but don't be shocked if you don't get a reply for a few days, But I have conversed with some members on here that have been very helpful with a guiding arm as it were. Your project sounds very interesting, I have always like the idea of building a fully planked boat but knowing how I am with glue I think I had better leave it to those with a higher skill level than me, or risk having to spend my days with a load of planks glued to me  :embarrassed:

harinell

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 11:25:49 pm »

Greg
I think I have mislead members my project is a fibreglass hull, the rest decks cabin seats all built up using planking, will show pictures and information  tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.