Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: speed controllers  (Read 2472 times)

south steyne

speed controllers
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:57:02 am »

Hi everyone and a happy new year, I need some help regarding mtronics speed controllers .
I originally had one controller powering a pair of motors not sure what size and thought to get longer run time I could fit another controller and two batteries instead of one 12v 7.5 a h which would then give me independent control of each motor.
Problem one motor runs fine the other stops and starts and I notice the controller reset each time.
I have followed the instructions for the new controller and disconnected the red power lead and also switched controllers with no difference ,and as I have never had a problem with the original mtronics I was wondering has anyone had this problem as I would really like to get this system to work
Cheers from newby
John

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »

Sounds like you have a clash of electronics.

Do not run separate batteries to each motor. Have ONE power source of two batteries in parallel (if you want longer run time).  Use a larger fuse here.

The speed controllers must only send  ONE   B.E.C control voltage to the Receiver, so remove only one centre wire from one speed controller. (It's the middle wire).

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:33:26 am »

Have you tried each speed controller on its own i.e. with one motor and one battery, to see if they are each working properly? If one is not, there's your possible answer. I think Mtroniks have both temperature and current overload cut-out, which means they will reset if there's an excess of either. If they are working OK, then disable the BEC on BOTH of them and try the twin system again with just one 12v battery and with a separate 4-cell pack powering the receiver. Make sure everything is fully-charged up first.

I wouldn't advocate using SLA batteries in parallel (various threads passim).

FLJ

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »

Hi everyone and a happy new year, I need some help regarding mtronics speed controllers .
I originally had one controller powering a pair of motors not sure what size and thought to get longer run time I could fit another controller and two batteries instead of one 12v 7.5 a h which would then give me independent control of each motor.
Problem one motor runs fine the other stops and starts and I notice the controller reset each time.
I have followed the instructions for the new controller and disconnected the red power lead and also switched controllers with no difference ,and as I have never had a problem with the original mtronics I was wondering has anyone had this problem as I would really like to get this system to work
Cheers from newby
John

Are they Vipers ? what model / amps etc

They will work fine out of the packet with most t/mitters as they are factory pre set... What do you mean that you notice it re set ? you may have altered the neutral and end / brake points.

Do I take it that from the above you are using 2 separate channels for independantly controlling the motors ?. and you have set up each controller and motor independantly ?

if they are Vipers leave each controller switch , switched on and just switch main power on / off and test them as FLJ says and only 1 red wire to the RX as this will power BOTH speedos.

post a pic of the set up wiring etc.

I run this set up in a R/C tank with no issues.

hope its of use
Sub.

south steyne

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:50:26 am »

Hi guys and thank you for your help and have now connected the two controllers to one battery and then to both motors as suggested and it works fine so seems there is an overload when using two batteries to separate controllers, and as I'm no expert in electronics I will steer clear of that problem.
Cheers
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.