Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/c racing car motors  (Read 2037 times)

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
R/c racing car motors
« on: December 13, 2006, 01:59:42 pm »

I have been given a Saturn20t motor made  by HPIRacing.ist for models that do about 45mph.The only info I have is that it is a 540 with 20 turns(not sure what that means?)I am tempted to try it in a Billings Phantom I have?Is this wise do you think!!!

chromedome

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R/c racing car motors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »

Hi chromedome,

The 20 turns you mentioned, refers to the amount of times the wire is turned around the armature.
The fewer turns, the higher the performance of the motor. 20 turns is not outrageous so could be OK. The thing to bear in mind, is that as the performance increases, the amount of amps increases. So, is your speed controller suitable?

Assuming it is, and as you have a free motor, then I would just fit it and see what you think. I am also assuming that you already have a 540 or 6oo series motor fitted, so no complicated modification would be required.

Perhaps wait for a few other replies before doing this, but I would stick it in if it was mine.

regards Bob

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:17:52 pm »

Hi Bob...I have a 15amp viper,so hope that will be ok.

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »

Hi chrome dome,

Also if you want speed! then you should use a two bladed prop.
I think your controller will be near its limit, if you use to big a prop. I would suggest a 35 to 40 mm two blade. But no larger. If your controller is not water cooled, then after a minute or two, check that the controller is not getting hot. The Viper range has a cut out so if it is drawing too many amps it will either switch off, or if it gets hot, I understand they have now fitted a temperature cut out.

Bob

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 09:17:48 pm »

from past experiance i would get a 20amp ESC or above.

im using 2 x 540 car motors in my C.C.Lee speed boat, they pull around 8 amps on 7.2volts and went off Shipmate60's ampmeter when stalled.
i would recommend a 2 blade prop also either 35 or 40 mm with a bit of pitch to it depending on if you want speed or control???

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:25:02 pm »

Thanks lads...will see what happens!

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 04:42:57 pm »

Graupner do some good two blade props. You could also try Alan Shillito at Astec for esc's props etc.

Daryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.