Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help - loss of prop speed in one direction  (Read 2222 times)

Billyruffian

Help - loss of prop speed in one direction
« on: January 25, 2010, 09:04:13 am »

Not sure if this is in the right section but, I have at last put my first scratch build in the water this weekend and have the following problem.  With the prop spinning in one direction speed is as it should be but move the stick in the opposite direction and the speed is less than half.  If I reverse the mode on the TX the same happens just in the opposite direction.

I have a Mobile Marine T4A motor, and Electronize speed controller and a Futaba 6EX 2.4 gig TX.

I have plyed with the controller settings Low, Variable and high and the speed setting but nothing seems to help even the speed out with the stick movements in each direction.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Cyril

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Help - loss of prop speed in one direction
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24:08 pm »

You don't specify the propellor.....if it's one of those red or black scale Graupner prop's you won't get equal forward / reverse thrust.

Are you getting any kind of binding ? - running a shaft in reverse could be tightening up couplings, locknuts etc.. also just check, some electronic speed controllers used to  give half speed reverse.

Billyruffian

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 01:37:51 pm »

It's a 3bladed brass prop.  According to Electonize I should get the same forward or back but can set it differently should I choose.  The setting is the same for both stick actions.  I will check again for any binding but I don't think so.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 01:54:06 pm »

This rings a bell. I think it is a function of the TX.
I am sure someone will correct me.
If the TX is not a marine TX, then because of the failsafe mode for aero, you need to set the sticks so neutral/off is in the middle.  But aero engines have no reverse, and so the result is only half reverse.
Like I say, someone will correct me.

Try a test with another Tx and Rx. If all is ok then the problem is with the Tx or Rx. Props, motor, esc will be fine.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Billyruffian

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 02:25:10 pm »

Now you mention the TX - just a thought but is it worth checking the EPA settings on channel 3 - throttle to see if they are both the same forward and reverse?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 02:57:52 pm »

Cyril
I'll have to assume that you're using the LH (ratchet) stick for the throttle. If so, try connecting the ESC to the RH Up/Down spring-centred channel instead (Ch2 on the receiver) just to try it. That channel is usually used for the elevators and should have a "proper" neutral. This will eliminate any difference in travel volume or rate between ahead and astern. Make sure the Elevator rate switch is on High.
If that  channel works OK then the problem is the Tx setting of Channel 3. If it still misbehaves then it ain't the radio; it's either the ESC, the motor or the running gear.

FLJ

Billyruffian

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 03:36:22 pm »

Thanks FLJ will try that when I get home.

Billyruffian

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 08:09:28 am »

Thanks FLJ you were - as usual spot on.

Tested the other stick as you suggested and all was fine.  Went back to Ch3 and found that the EPA's were reading 97% and 47%.  I'm thinking that this was set up for a sail winch in a previous life.

Thanks again for the info all.

Cyril
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.