Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Gato  (Read 5250 times)

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
Revell Gato
« on: December 20, 2006, 11:05:18 am »

Hi guys, as some of you may know i just got the revell gato as an early xmas present, it's BIG!! a little under 4 1/2 feet long. I havent started it yet as i really should finish the type 7's first,

I'm breaking my cardinal rule of not having more than one model to do at a time, normally i do one get it out of the way and move onto the next because i like to see fast progress but like this things are happening slowly which is a new concept for me.

i mean ive got 3 uboats, the gato, and my sboat all begging to be done. :)

Dont think ill be getting anymore for a while

will post some pics of the gato kit at some point (i have the hull dry fixed at the moment) so you can an idea of size next to the uboat, It actually looks quite funny :D

oh and it will be static diving with a Dave Welch wtc (when he's finished developing it)

Grant :)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell Gato
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:09:33 am »

I can't wait to see what you make of the Gato Grant, if it is anything like your Type VII's it is going to look superb.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:48:09 pm »

Thanks it will probably be a while before i start painting it but i will probably use the same technique as with the sboat using the pigment powders to get the grimey look as they give a very realistic look and are as easy as you can get. But not sure yet.

will keep you posted

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:35:49 am »

Took these this morning. The more i look at it the more i cant wait to get it started.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:15:15 pm »

It's hard to beleive it's in scale with the type 7  :o Superb Grant, i must say you had better buy a bigger house at this rate! Just can't get over the fact it was only £60  :o :o :o

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 08:14:11 pm »

Hi guys, got my Gato last week too, should make a nice model, think I will have to replace some of the delicate masts / superstructure with brass to make it more user friendly.
Noted the hull is not round but oval in shape about 3 and 1/2 inch high but about 4 inch wide so will have to use 3 inch tube for the pressure vessel, little bit small for a standard compressor so will either have to make a smaller one or go peristaltic pump or gear pump for ballast for static dive...will add it to the pile of models " to do " ;D ;D

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 10:55:03 am »

Voyager, you should see the whole kit. Great detail and everything is so much bigger than the type 7. For instance the gatos main deck gun is pretty much as long as the type 7's conning tower, the rear dive planes are about 2 1/2 to 3 times the size of the uboat, fronts about twice the size, and the rudder is well.... BIG. and the props are about twice the size.

I still say that the type 7 is the better looking of the 2 but the size of this thing makes the type 7 look somewhat lame in comparison, i mean the gatos gun alone makes the uboats' look like a pea shooter. :D

Also on Dave welch's website he says that he has got the front dive planes to fold up and down. which will be a nice little feature when running on the surface. :)

And Subdriver if you start yours before me then start another thread or something because i'd like to see what it looks like once it starts getting paint on it.

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 10:38:15 pm »

uboatbuilder. dont know if you have seen this but... if not .. :o..this is a good picture of the Gato with some paint on it for you. ;D ;D

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 08:26:01 pm »

I'm putting a WTC together for a couple of these beauties in our club.

uboatbuilder

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 05:49:36 pm »

that looks great, and a weathering job i could only dream of

grant

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 10:26:23 am »

Here's a couple of pics of the WTC for A revell Gato that I've made.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 05:33:56 pm »

may i ask, where did you get the tubing from?
grumpy old XXX

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 06:20:17 pm »

Here's a couple of pics of the WTC for A revell Gato that I've made.

Nice work, what did you cast the end caps with?
Cheers

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:24:11 am »

The Tube is availble on the internet, Ebay being a good place to start.

The caps are cast from 2 pack Resin. The molds are Silicone from the same supplier. (Tarranti)

I mold them oversisize to allow for shrinkage / variation in the tube & machine them down to fit.

I've found 2 O rings give a better fit and a bit more Belt & Braces feel to everything.

I also sleep easier when they are keeping someone elses electronics dry!!

I may make these to order for the Gato & the Type VII  if there is any interest.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.