Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First ever RC boat!  (Read 1991 times)

britishnobby

First ever RC boat!
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:59:51 pm »

hi all.  :-)

i have been a member on this splendid site for a few months now and finally got around to introducing myself.
i live near horsham in west Sussex and my nearest club is at southwater. my main interests are navy ships and large tugs, but really most RC boats interest me.
i have always loved models, particularly RC,  but only until recently did i buy my first RC kit. And no it wasn't a boat, but a car. After that i decided to build my own model boat from scratch (code named "the shoe box"). :o :o its nothing special but iam happy and it works.
i know, i know its best to start with a simple kit but hey.
so after getting "the shoe box" sea worthy i then decided to buy a proper kit. i went for the model slipway shamrock. (any one who has made this kit i will grateful to hear from, hits, tips, and especially pictures). I will, offcourse, make my own build log but i first need to finish turning my shed into a workshop!
i will post some pictures of "the shoe box" soon and see what you guys think.

Anyway thanks for reading and stay tuned.  :-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: First ever RC boat!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:20 pm »

Nobby, welcome.
Use the search box top left and quite a lot about the Model Slipway Shamrock comes up.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:16:31 pm »

Welcome Nobby. The Shamrock is a Full Leather Jacket (FLJ) design so dont be rude about it as he also owns ACTion Electronics and you will probably need him one day.

There is a review of the kit Carried out by Dave Brumstead in the Model Boats magazine plus a lot of other info on the Model Slipway site.

http://www.modelslipway.com/kitreview_shamrock_DB.htm

Model Slipway are also very helpful people if you have a problem, Jackie probably knows more about kits than the average builder on here.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:58 am »

As has been said, wellcome, Nobby and I hope we will see you at the Alford show  in June when you will get the chance to meet many Mayhemers. Help and advice is always here, please don't be afraid to use it, I do, and I've been building model boats  for *?$ years---- :-))
Steamed up all the time

Tersane

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »

I too am building my first RC boat. It is also a Shamrock. The main difference being that mine is being built from the plans first published and bought in 1995. It has taken me a while to get started! The hull is complete now, with the propshaft and motor about to go in. The motor is a water-cooled Graupner Speed 600 Race. Hopefully this will give a bit of speed. The superstructure is well under way and may even be near ready when I retire in June. Mind you - I have also just taken on an allotment. but it is next to a river. Hmmmm.

britishnobby

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:22 pm »

hi Tersane.
that sounds great. look at it this way. once you have  worked all day on your allotment you can take a break by taking the boat out for a quike spin up the river :}. if you ever post any pics of you boat let me know i would like to see her. i will create a build log for mine once i start. have to turn the shed into a workshop first :o.
all the best 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.