Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamar Life boat 16-12 George Suillivan  (Read 32205 times)

rg197r27

Tamar Life boat 16-12 George Suillivan
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:42 pm »

Please find attached some photos of my tamar which in build, she will be of the new St.Helier Lifeboat here in Jersey, Her penant number is 16-12 and she will be called the George Suillivan. The model is in 1:12 scale and i am using one of Speedline Models Kits

More piccy's to follow

rich

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tamar Life boat 16-12 George Suillivan
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »

Nice looking build. I watch with interest so keep them pictures coming.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

debssnal

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:17:39 pm »

Hi Rich,
         looking good and what a good start to the build.

Alan

CJ1

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:11 am »

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I too am doing a Speedline Tamar, 16-09, Salcombe. This is my first serious big build without instructions. I am just starting the build and already you have answered one of my concerns! Thanks for the posting, some nice detail modelling there. I'll follow with interest, keep the photos coming.
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:18:55 pm »

chris

if you need any help just let me know as it has been a steep learning curve

rich

rg197r27

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »

Chris

If it any help all the measurements for mine i have taken of the set of plans you can get of the rnli technical dept in poole the formula you will need is the measurement off the plans (which are 1:25 scale) measurement multiply by 25 and then divide by 12 = 1:12 measurement for use on model.
The plans which do help are avalabile from the technical dept on 0845 045 6999 and they cost £30.00

Regards

Rich

Roger in France

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:13:04 pm »

CJ1,

Your other topic deleted as requested.

Roger in France

CJ1

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »

Rich,
Despite being a man, I am multi-tasking! I'm cutting out the windows and am about to fix the prop shafts as my motors have now arrived. I did get the plans from the RNLI...really useful thanks, so I have the location details for the props etc.

What sort of tray/bulkhead have you used for mounting your motors? My motors come with good mounting plates, and I would like to make a tray of sorts to make a really neat layout inside for the motors, escs, batteries and servo etc. What do you suggest?

Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:07 pm »

Chris

I am using the same motors as phil they are emax 4030/10 brushless motors, i have them but havent got around to fitting them yet

rich

rg197r27

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 06:46:05 pm »

here are some photo's of todays work

I am hoping to start spraying the hull next week

rich

CJ1

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:33:48 pm »

Rich, Slow down!! I don't stand a chance of keeping up at this rate.

That looks so good. What a nice job you're making.

Thanks for the pictures, again really helpful. I made up the window frames this afternoon, they were a joy to make. So pleasing. I decided I needed to have them to draw the cutouts on the cabin sides. It did make it much easier to find the positions. I thought I had marked the front windows too high because there wasn't enough room for the front camera. Then I found the photo on the disc that shows the camera housing overlapping the top of the front middle window frame....so the drawings were right all along!

How are you painting it.... with aerosols, or have you got a spray gun? What paint and colours are you using?

Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:59:15 pm »

thanks for the comments m8 i am going to use aerosols as i have had some 500 ml ones mixed up

I got the colours of here somewhere

If you wish to be authentic and can get the colours mixed at your local paintshop, then these are what you are looking for. I got the code direct from The Engineering section of the RNLI

Lifeboats Blue (BS381c) Oxford Blue 105
Lifeboats Yellow (BS381c) Bold Yellow 363
Lifeboats Red (BS381c) Rail Red 539
Lifeboats Orange (BS381c) Orange 557

regards

rich

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 11:41:05 pm »

That’s going to be a great model Rich, great photos of your build. :-)) :-)) I hope you don’t mind me saying, she will perform a lot better if you swap your props onto the opposite shafts. I have always achieved better performance with twin prop models with the port prop turning clockwise and the starboard prop turning anticlockwise.

rg197r27

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:31 pm »

thanks for you comment m8 i will take note once i have painted the hull

regards

rich

rg197r27

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »

Sorry i havent been around i have been busy building my tamar please find attached my latest photos

Just getting the motors ready to fit

regards

rich

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:44 pm »

and  another Tamar is born, paint job looks good Rich, will send you photos of my working mast.

Phil.

fatcat123

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »

Hey Phil,

I follow your website with interest. Whens the next big update? I check each day.

Dan

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:34:41 am »

soon, been working to hard!!!! :-)) :-))

CJ1

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 09:22:03 am »

Hi Rich,
That looks good, good photos too.
Did you cut out the two small fore deck lockers in the cabin front (either side of the front escape hatch), or have you placed the covers straight onto the grp?
How are you planning to seal the cabin/deck join later or is the upstand enough to keep water out?
..and the last thing for now....have you got an opening transom operated by r/c?. I am installing my electrics inside at the moment and wondering whether and where to put a servo to do this. I'm trying to work out the position and angle to operate the ram.
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »

Hi chris

No i havent cut out the two small fore deck lockers in the cabin front, they are glued straight onto the grp. I havent decided on how
 to seal the cabin/deck join yet but with the weight of the superstructure the upstand may well be enough to keep water out. The stern door and the deck covers are proving to be a complete nightmare to make radio controlled, As you can see from the photos they are made up and they are ready for which way i install them, You are correct it is the angles to make them work proplery

regards

rich

flundle

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »

Wow! that looks really good Richard. You chaps are doing a super job and it's greaty to see you enjoying yourselves.  I will be at Mayhems Wicksteed bash later in the month and will be taking my prototype Tamar for a spin.  It's a bit knocked about nowadays but its still fun.  I can help with ram positions for the stern door etc. just drop me a line.
Adrian

rg197r27

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »

Hi chris

Just wondering on how you are progressing with your tamar

rich

CJ1

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 09:14:07 am »

Rich,
Good now thanks. We are in the middle of building work at home so I have to take my moments when I can!
The lads on the Salcombe Tamar let me on for a photo session last week and that has spurred me on. (thanks lads!)

I don't have any metal working machinery/tools/experience, but have a friend nearby with a good workshop and he helped me this weekend. I have finally alligned the motors and shafts with the help of his lathe and brass tube, and so was able to make a strong ply motor mount and tray for the escs. I made a pair of brass rudder horns and connected the two rudders together and to the servo. I have extended the rudder tubes to above the waterline inside, but with enough space to work on them under the transom garage. With a little grease, this should minimise the water ingress here. I epoxied a ply web behind each tube to make them rigid, and managed to keep the tolerances fine so there is very little play but they still turn sweetly. Made a servo tray in aluminium, including a spare slot for a servo to operate the transom door in case I go down that route, but have still not made a tray for the batteries. I was going to check the fore and aft trim tonight at bath-time! The tray for the bowthruster battery, esc and switch are also in now.
On the y-boat, I've added detail to the outboard, and assembled, faired and primed the hull.
I've taken some photos, but can't work out how to keep their file size small enough to post on the forum. I'll post them as soon as poss.
Chris
Oh, and the windows are now all cut out in the cabin.

CJ1

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 08:28:32 am »

Rich,
How did you construct the steps on the deck from the side deck up to the aft deck? I clearly need to do that before I trim the cabin sides. Yours look very neat.
Chris.

furball

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »

How did you construct the steps on the deck from the side deck up to the aft deck?

They're moulded into the deck in the Speedline kits aren't they?

Lance
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.