Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamar Life boat 16-12 George Suillivan  (Read 32282 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: Tamar Life boat 16-12 George Suillivan
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 03:29:37 pm »

No they arent moulded in, these need to be made up...

Russ

rg197r27

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 08:19:35 pm »

thanks russ you are correct they are made up from 6 pieces of perspex i have cut the superstructure to locate around them or you could fit them so they fit on the outside and leave a gap between the steps and the hatch flange

rich

CJ1

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »

Rich,
I like the way you have made the steps and cut the cabin sides to fit. I hadn't thought of using perspex..it's obviously what gives it the crisp finish on your model, thanks for that. The lads at Salcombe let me take some photos the other day. Here's what the real thing is like finished on their boat.

Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »

chris the parts for the steps are included in the kit if you check on the cd which you should of got with your kit it highlights where the parts are on the various sheets

rich

CJ1

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:40 am »

Rich,
Thanks for that. I've been concentrating so hard on making up the electrics/internals, I had actually forgotten it's a kit! Seriously! I'll take some time this evening to read the Instructions and parts list. I had genuinly forgotten!  :embarrassed:
Please don't mention it to anyone else on the forum or I'll be demoted to making up the Airfix Severn my sister bought me for my birthday!
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 10:18:32 pm »

Thats ok m8 pm me if you need help

rich

rg197r27

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57:28 pm »

I picked up a big box from the post office yesturday with loods of goodys in it for my tamar it included my radio system two brushless speed controller and the bow thruster speed controller and a how load of other stuff was well

rich

CJ1

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 05:53:41 pm »

Rich,
With brushless motors, do you need special speed controllers?...and did you get an extra servo to make the stern door operate remotely?
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »

Chris

With brushless motors you have three wires going to as they are three phase, and i have got some extra servos and a snake link for the stern door, so i need to plan out the interior on locations etc

rich

CJ1

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2010, 11:32:54 am »

Rich,
Just back from holiday and have started to work on the rear cockpit/upper helm position. I finally located the floor for it, my instructions didn't include the part on the drawings and I didn't recognise it on the perspex sheet. A phone call to Adrian sorted it out. I located the steps for the side decks, but having assembled them, they don't look scale and so I made new ones from ply.

A question. I have made up the mast support boxes port and starboard, but am reluctant to glue these to the stern stowage wall assembly before painting them, as access looks really difficult after glueing, especially to the air vents on the port side box. What have you done?

Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

hi chris sorry i haven't been around due to illness and other problems but he ho i am getting back on track i have fitted the mast boxes to my superstructure but you need to fit the brass mast mounting brackets inside before gluing in place it can be done afterwards but it is easier before fitting

rich

CJ1

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2010, 11:54:54 am »

Rich,
Sorry about the health, hope you're getting better.

I'm feeling a bit sick myself now, but fortunately only mentally!

I assembled the stowage area/upper helm, carefully painting areas which I wouldn't be able to get to later. Looking at the mast support boxes, I thought I could make a better job detailing the port one underneath the air intake, cutting four small slots. When I came to fit the completed stowage area/boxes, I found that the whole assembly was too tight high up and forced the GRP sides of the cockpit slightly out of line. I tweaked as much as I could but there was still a discrepency, but as it was all glued up, I left it...but didn't like it.

This morning, first I read your post and realised that I should have fitted the brass mast support brackets as you explain, then I found the perspex detail sheets for around the air intakes included in the kit and I want to use those, and what with the misalignment......I took the whole lot out!  An hour with my Dremel and a sharp chisel....and no harm done except to my pride. I'm going to start again.

There is a smaller air vent supplied for the starboard mast support box (s/a 34), but I can't see one on any of the reference photos in the cockpit. Is this the one that shows on the outside (starboard side) of the cabin moulding?

Chris

CJ1

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

Rich,
You were right about the brass mounting brackets! Having dismantled the upper helm area, they went in really easily this afternoon, but would have driven me mad, taken hours and probably broken something with the boxes in-situ. Thanks,
Chris

rg197r27

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:18 pm »

chris have a look here i took the measurements of the plans and you are correct it is on the starboard side outter face
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/rg225/tamar/Photo0076.jpg

rich

CJ1

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »

Rich,
Yes, I can see it now, thanks.
I have started to glue the perspex parts to the grp deck, but have used araldite for the first ones, and the araldite has not bonded to the perspex. I cleaned the perspex first, and have ensured the backing sheets were removed. These are the two engine cover panels. At least they came away cleanly and without damage.
What have you used to bond the perspex parts to the grp?
Chris

17-21

• Full Mayhemer
  • I love lifeboats,but don't tell the wife!!
    • Phils Rc Models
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:57 am »

I found the best way is to ruff the underside and then a small area on the grp then a drop of super glue and its sticks  with no problems, just make sure you get it in the right place first time :-))

Phil

rg197r27

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »

The build is progressing i will update photo's soon

rich

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

Hi Rich,

On your Tamar, re the folding hatch to the Y-Boat hold.
I have the kit, but can't seem to find the hinges that cause this hatch to fold. Can you tell me which etch they are on, I think I've looked everywhere, but guess i'm just being stoooopid!!!!

Ken

rg197r27

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »

Brian

It is on the brass 0.8mm sheet of brass part number o6

rich

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »

Part 06 is the hinge for the rear opening door.  I'm after the hinges for the folding deck hatch.  Still can't find them anywhere

Ken

CJ1

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 01:58:27 pm »

Ken,
In my Tamar kit, there was a set of brass hinges of the correct size (albeit with square corners to be rounded off) in a small plastic bag in the big box. I can't think of anywhere else to put them so I assume they are for the doors.

Chris

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »

Thanks, Chris.

Guess that's another phone call to Adrian 'cause they wern't in my box.

Ken

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2010, 04:45:23 pm »

Nor mine...  >:-o

Russ

rg197r27

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 09:36:12 pm »

Please find attached below some mote photos of my tamar
Lifeboat

I am hopefully painting the cabin orange this weekend

Regards

Rich

nhp651

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 10:21:25 pm »

looks lovely, Rich...
oh how i wished i'd kept mine.ceste la vie.
neil. {:-{
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.