OK, so the boat works, now on to the detail. (Video will follow when I can work out how to post on youtube!)
Having started on the upper helm area, with Adrian's lovely laser cut perspex parts, I assembled the whole stowage wall/mast box structure and glued it in place at the back of the GRP cabin moulding, using it to locate the upper helm/doorway GRP moulding. After a couple of hours of careful manipulation, and then allowing the P38/P40 to set overnight, it looked horrible. I'd had to squeeze it in place and the cabin sides had distorted. Then I realised I had left out some of the perspex detail parts from the mast boxes, and to top it all, I should have fitted the mast supports in place first. That was it, I set to with my dremel and took it all out. Glad I did though, because everything has gone together easily this time.
Looking at the brass parts for the mast, I find it a bit daunting with no instructions or individual part numbers. Trying to match up the tiny parts with the parts on the real boat photos is so time consuming. When I finally do though it is so pleasing. Anyone with knowledge of where it all fits, apply here!
I've been playing with the airbrush to get detail effects, and managed to replicate the air intake effect on the mast box with silver sprayed over matt black. Tamiya masking tape makes life much easier. It gives really crisp edges, and no pulling of the paint.