Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MH&B PB2 REVERSING GEAR  (Read 9710 times)

MOG8

Re: MH&B PB2 REVERSING GEAR
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 01:46:43 pm »

Yes please go into details.
At 1,5 kg the steam plant is a reasonable weight. Just for comparison, I consider Cheddar plants heavy.
For the next plant I'm assembling my target is to stay under 1,5 kg if possible.
DETAILS.
This  boiler is very light because instead of using a 3 mm. copper barrel a nickel silver steel plate (0,0028" thick) is wrapped around the endplates and silver soldered to the endplates and vertically along the two edges, slightly chamfered, which overlap slightly.
This is the cross section of this boiler. It may not be as efficient as a vertical multi-tubular, but it is very light indeed.
Sketch by Brian Marten.

kno3

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »

Thanks, great drawing! If it has the crosstubes and the superheater it must be a good steamer. How much water does it hold?

MOG8

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:32:51 pm »

Thanks, great drawing! If it has the crosstubes and the superheater it must be a good steamer. How much water does it hold?
I HAVEN'T TESTED THE BOILER YET, BUT I WILL TELL YOU  ITS WATER CAPACITY WHEN I DO,

logoman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 10:34:38 pm »

I was just looking at one of these boilers and thought the layout of the superheater may be interesting to anyone going looking for Opal information.
Apologies for the poor photo quality .

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:11 pm »

How much does this boiler weigh?

logoman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 10:11:09 pm »

This is a feather-weight steam plant, mainly due to the particular boiler construction (if you want I will go into details).
Engine  361gr.
Boiler (fully fitted less wood lagging): 844 gr.
Boiler funnel: 47 gr.
Boiler gas burner: 50 gr.
Separator & Gas tank: 137 gr.
Assorted copper pipes: 27 gr.
Total: 1466 gr.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:30 pm »

DETAILS.
This  boiler is very light because instead of using a 3 mm. copper barrel a nickel silver steel plate (0,0028" thick) is wrapped around the endplates and silver soldered to the endplates and vertically along the two edges, slightly chamfered, which overlap slightly.
This is the cross section of this boiler. It may not be as efficient as a vertical multi-tubular, but it is very light indeed.
Sketch by Brian Marten.

Makes my Cheddar Puffin plant look like a brick, the boiler naked is 1.5 kilo. I was worried that my MH&B Topaz hull could bear it without floundering. However the Opal has a max displacement of 3.6 k and the Topaz max displacement is 4.5 k so I can suffer a bit more weight although I also have a largeish cabin structure to carry.  Hope I don't have to restrict myself to half boiler fills , things could get a bit tight.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.