Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bob's board speed controllers  (Read 18691 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bob's board speed controllers
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:01 pm »

I could get an inflatable for the price of an ESC and some exercise propelling it along the river!
But look at the label.....guess where it was made. {:-{
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »

I'll stick to my old English stuff.  At least it's repairable.
And pretty!

Regards,
Vintagent

Regards,
Vintagent

What English stuff would this be then ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 02:50:59 pm »

will look in the club shop I think I have an old unopened one in there!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 03:13:12 pm »

What English stuff would this be then ?

Something like my two Fleet 7-Ch Tx, Rx, switchers, servers and ESC setups? Nothing less than 15 years old and still going strong.

Barry M

Timo2

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »

I'll stick to my old English stuff.  

OK next you will be telling us Newcastle on Tyne is in the North , and pig,s fly  <*<

Timo2

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 04:28:42 pm »

Last time I looked Newcastle upon Tyne is in the north of England.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

Dont think you've got the hang of this Marc  ok2

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:51 pm »

I could get an inflatable for the price of an ESC and some exercise propelling it along the river!
FLJ, I don't know what a Mossfet is and I have no idea what any of the motors available to me draw in amps or even how to test them.
So I'm never going to lay out a lot of money on yet more electronics to control them.
I'm not entirely surprised at your reply. If you want to improve your knowledge of the subject then might I suggest having a look here?
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/ESCs.pdf
If you don't know what current your motors draw or how to measure it then you have two chances of getting the right Bob's Board; they're called Fat and No.
I'll cheerfully swap you one of our (British-made) ESCs for a new inflatable.
FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:24 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) :-))

vintagent

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 07:07:53 pm »

FLJ, blimey, even I could understand the basics of that explanation.  thanks for that.
I never thought I'd see that phrase again...Mark/Space.  That takes me back to early R/C books and the ancient RCM&E magazines I have since No 1, not that I could ever understand much of it.
Being british made also explains why they're apparently expensive, but I imagine very high quality. I would certainly consider one of the cheaper end if, as I hope, my old redundant minidrill motors aren't too high draw (a little one and a typical "buggy" size motors)
Would your ESCs work on my Taycol Supermarine motor, now I have a circuit for wiring it to go backwards?

DickyD, I have some DigiMac and a Mini-hex outfit (provided my son can find it!)

Barry M, I'd love to find a Fleet or a Launch Link set or best of all a Skyleader!

Perhaps my attitude to the hobby doesn't sit well with all you guys who take it so very seriously it seems.
But that's fine.  If you love all the tech. stuff, good for you for even understanding it.
I don't so I just want to use the stuff I always did.  I used to have a Bob's board in a little speedboat and it seemed to work fine. my brother now has it in Australia. he first bought it when he was a teenager, had hours and hours of fun with it on any bit of water bigger than a puddle and it still works on a buggy type motor (550?)
He saved up and bought his own Acoms gear, which also still works.

I am curious about all the new stuff, but I can't help that curiosity morphing into wondering whether there isn't a touch of one-upmanship about it all.
That's what makes me sceptical to some extent.

I see no reason for some people to get a bit aerated about it though.  It is only playing with toy boats after all when we get right down to it.
Having said that I'd probably defend my Rivas, Miss America X and Miss Britain III as scale models if someone called them toys, but you know what I mean ok2

I've come back to boats as a laugh using my old, old stuff.  For me, that's the fun part of it.
My sailing models ..well that's  another story when I get cracking with them.

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:25 pm »

RCM&E magazines , does that mean you are a model flier ?
..well can you land on this?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 07:59:27 pm »

A lot of the old stuff certainly still works and is OK if you don't mind the increased chances of interference on 27mhz. I still use it myself. But generally, if you are in the market you might as well buy the latest gear which has a lot of advantages. There is no particular merit as such in using vintage gear (except to save money!). Bobs Boards were OK in their day, but as FLJ says, you did need to match them to your motors otherwise you tended to get a miniature hotplate and truncated working life! Back in the 1970s a Futaba electronic speed controller would have cost you £70 or so which would equate to several hundred pounds in today's money. These days they probably cost around a third of your weekly excursion to Tesco.

Old stuff isn't inherently better, just nostalgic maybe.

Colin

vintagent

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

Neither is modern stuff, Colin.
If I'd seen the older stuff fail in some way, I probably would use modern stuff, though my objection to cheap and cheerful Eastern would remain, but it never has and it always worked well then.  Maybe my brother was sold to well by his shop in Margate, but his stuff all worked, gave good run times and still does. Why change it?

I don't shop in Tescos either, but I'm spoiled for village shops and roadside stalls here, being SO rural.  And I think our weekly bill would be more than covered by a 20Amp ESC.  So now, perhaps you can see why I don't just splash the cash around. 

You said it when you said (except to save money)

Back in the 70s I wouldn't have even heard of an ESC, but I do recall that which came in a Mardave carpet racer worked well and came with the car, motor, batteries and charger for about £35 or so all in.  Same price as the Acoms radio gear recommended for them.  So the ESC in that couldn't have been so expensive and I believe Mardave were all British made.  In fact I think my son used all the car bits to power a boat!

Regards,
Vintagent

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »

Back in the 70s I wouldn't have even heard of an ESC, but I do recall that which came in a Mardave carpet racer worked well and came with the car, motor, batteries and charger for about £35 or so all in.  Same price as the Acoms radio gear recommended for them.  So the ESC in that couldn't have been so expensive and I believe Mardave were all British made.  In fact I think my son used all the car bits to power a boat!

Regards,
Vintagent

Mardave were and still are British made.

http://mardaveonline.co.uk/v12setup.htm

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 10:38:14 pm »

If you have vintage gear that works, there is little point in replacing it.  On the other hand, looking to buy vintage technology when modern gear is available at lower cost is not a good idea.  I spent enough of my working life polishing bits of brass and nickel silver to keep switching systems working to know beyond any doubt that solid state gear with no moving parts and a a lower price is BETTER. 
My preference is to take my boat to the lake and play at being the master of my boat, rather than be its mechanic.

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 08:06:36 am »

Would your ESCs work on my Taycol Supermarine motor, now I have a circuit for wiring it to go backwards?

Nah - far too expensive, matey. You want a good old-fashioned rheostat. You could probably make one from an old electric fire element and use an ACOMS servo to move a wiper contact across it; old clocks are a good cheap source of metal for this sort of contact. For reversing the current then why not break into a traffic light control box and nick a circuit-breaker switch? These are quite easily adaptable to Double Pole Changeover mode - and there won't be many donkey carts held up by the faulty lights (you do  have electricity and telephones around there, don't you?). Finally why not encase the whole thing in an old Oxo tin? I'm sure there's one in your junk cupboard. Slap on a bit of proper lead-based housepaint to hide the Oxo logo and the job's a good 'un. Total cost should be less than a stone of spuds.
FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 08:48:07 am »

Excellent Dave, bloody marvellous.

Off to play with my very expensive toy boats now.

vintagent

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 09:34:28 am »

Dave,
 why on earth would I want to cover up the fine OXO logo with lead or any other paint?
Although I could do exactly that as I have 5 litres of red lead paint which I use on the iron knees of my full size 1937 historic narrowboat.

Electricity reached us recently and what a boon it sometimes turns out to be, although it is quite useless for digital radio and television which steadfastly refuses to work with any reliability, so I simply listen to the Home Service on my accumulator wireless, the trip to the garage to recharge being always accompanied by a cuppa char, a wad and a nice chat with the blacksmith, while the Lister Autostart does its work.

A short wave radio ham in the North has given me a perfectly good circuit diagram of some whirring electrickery to switch and control my old Taycol, so I'll have no need of the traffic lights, which I find always so very tedious to deconstruct.  I've invariably found that street lights are more accessible, though only for power supplies.  A redundant GPO Telephones sub station was a useful source of switchgear when I made a lap counter for my Scalextric, so may prove equally suitable for the Taycol.

Finally, I've checked with my neighbour who does that pony trotting thing and his best mare is apparently unmoved by any amount of testing of my motors, so your kind concern has been answered in that regard.

I should like to thank you for your ever selfless help and advice and look forward to doing business with you when I next need a soft valve or two for the REP.

Oh, BTW, since I have a car which uses a condenser, may I ask if it is possible to test them in any way, other than by installing a new one every time?  I thought you might remember them and have an oscilloscope handy for the job, perhaps.

Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 09:36:57 am »

I think I should apologise profusely to Ivanhoe for the hijacking of his thread, albeit in fun, (I hope).

Perhaps Dave and I should let him get back to his thread.

Regards,
Vintagent

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 09:43:03 am »

8)
FLJ

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

Oh, BTW, since I have a car which uses a condenser, may I ask if it is possible to test them in any way, other than by installing a new one every time?
Sadly, only with a resistance meter, of which you may have found one when performing your recycling on the telephone substation.
Get the condenser on its own (no witnesses, no other components to confuse the readings), switch the meter to the highest resistance range, connect the condenser while watching the needle.  The needle should kick and return to infinity.  Reverse the connection, it will kick again.  Condensers in cars tend to be a high enough value to allow this.  If the needle starts or finishes anywhere except infinity, the condenser is probably broken.

vintagent

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 11:30:47 am »

Malcolm, thanks for that. By resistance meter, do you mean the ohms dial on a multimeter?

Condensers have such a poor reputation for quality these days as do coils, distributor caps and even rotor arms. Those of us with "classic" cars have to keep a box of new spares from which to choose.
My son used to work for a Maserati racer restorer and they always took at least 6 condensers per car when they went testing or racing.
Even a million pound car still uses an ordinary Commercial Ignition condenser!!

Thanks again,
Vintagent

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 11:57:49 am »

do you mean the ohms dial on a multimeter?
Yes.  The higher the "ohms per volt" figure the better, as it then gives a more long lasting kick, so you get a better chance of seeing it.  This would be most post-1965 meters, when 10,000 OpV started being regarded as low.  Its one area where digital meters are not a lot of help, just giving what looks like a random collection of numbers, unless its one of those real flash ones that have an analogue display as well.

vintagent

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:03 am »

Thanks again, Malcolm.
I'll pass the info on to my son, too as he runs a classic car too.

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.