Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motors and ESC help  (Read 2613 times)

catengineman

Motors and ESC help
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:40:22 pm »

Hi to all who may assist me in my quest,

I have started to build a Tito Neri tug from Graupner and things are going quite well :)
I've started out with lots of idea's and thoughts about what I want (can) do and now after some e-mailing I'm TOTALY confused as to the best way to proceed.

I want to fit 3 X 6 volt batteries, 2 to deliver power to the main drive motors and the third to supply bow thruster and ALL the other equipment I will install into the vessel.

Graupner recommend the use of their 900 BB turbo motors, ???
Westbourne Models recommends the use of 720 Turbo motors ???
A local model shop said that MFA 550 would be best ???

can any one help in this dilemma? Please

I though I was Thick but now I know I am ;)

Richard
ps: I kept forgetting to sign my posts (sorry)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Motors and ESC help
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:07:13 pm »

Send PM to Bob [Shipmate60] I bet he can help you.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 11:11:44 pm »

:)Hi  Ref your motor problem if i am not mistaken your model is quite large and if it uses large dia props then you may find that 550 motors on direct drive may get warm  and they may use a lot of current. Model motors direct supply  a 777 motor  which may power your model  if not i would go with motors that graupner  use  far better to have power in reserve than  not enough. Ref you speed controllers or controller  please  check what current your motors draw  and match this to the s/controllers  not forgetting to fit in line fuse /fuses  just below the current rating of your controller  i/e 20 amp controller  15 amp fuse far cheaper to fit new fuse than buy a new controller. Dia of props  and direct drive all  affect the amount of current each motor with draw while running. :)

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:23:27 pm »

:)Hi  Ref your motor problem if i am not mistaken your model is quite large and if it uses large dia props then you may find that 550 motors on direct drive may get warm  and they may use a lot of current. Model motors direct supply  a 777 motor  which may power your model  if not i would go with motors that graupner  use  far better to have power in reserve than  not enough. Ref you speed controllers or controller  please  check what current your motors draw  and match this to the s/controllers  not forgetting to fit in line fuse /fuses  just below the current rating of your controller  i/e 20 amp controller  15 amp fuse far cheaper to fit new fuse than buy a new controller. Dia of props  and direct drive all  affect the amount of current each motor with draw while running. :)

Thanks Stan, I noticed that you mention direct drive, I myself will be using the ASD or schottle drive units which give a reduction to the prop. this inturn will reduce draw on the motors so in that view I could use a slightly smaller motor to facilitate the saved space for other things (I HOPE) :)
Well that is my thinking. I could be wrong and I will probably learn from MY COC# UPs :'(

A big thanks to all who assist

Richard (burt)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:32:14 am »

Stan,
The model is running on the Graupner Schottle drives which are rather power hungry due to all the friction, and running a plastic prop.
I would tend to go for the recommended motors even though they seem a tad overpowered and see how she goes.
I have seen a few with this set up and all used the recommended motore sucessfully.
The units are quite noisy though!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:41:26 pm »

:)Hi Bob  see my post ref stopping with motors recommended by kit maker
member of our club  fitted speed 500 in his model should Had 700 result 2 motors burnt out  now  runs on 700

all the best

Stan  :)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:54:30 pm »

Stan,
I do like playing about with different motors in models, but I am lucky in having voltmeter, ammeter and tacho all to hand so can experiment.
Most motors are just history, same size boat with motor and prop.
But I must admit to not knowing much about the Schottle Drives.
If I dont know the answer or can make an educated guess I will either say nothing or give any past experience from others.
I havent personally used the schottle drives, but do know of 2 models that are powered with Graupners recommended motors and perform as expected.
Give me a reference set and I will be able to make an educated guess.
BUT
While I dont mind experimenting ( I have 2 drawers full of motors ) I am always wary about suggesting spending other peoples money.
That is just me.   :) ;)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Modeller51

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 11:31:42 am »

Hi to all who may assist me in my quest,
Graupner recommend the use of their 900 BB turbo motors, ???
Westbourne Models recommends the use of 720 Turbo motors ???
A local model shop said that MFA 550 would be best ???

can any one help in this dilemma? Please

personally i would use the 900BB or the 720BB Torque the 720 is a slower motor will run happily and in my experience at 12V but if the driveline is direct drive it may draw alot of current on the large props the largest i drove is a 90mm RH blade M5 bout the limit direct drive. the 900BB is a larger motor less likely to overheat and better suited to this model . Generally you will findthe larger the motor diameter the more torque it will provide at a given Voltage.
 stay away from all MFA motors i think and have found them to be totally CR*P there gearboxes are also Pants.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.