Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a military launch?  (Read 6621 times)

davidm1945

Is this a military launch?
« on: June 13, 2010, 05:55:41 pm »

Hi Folks,
   I took this photo through the security fence surrounding the "graveyard" section of the local boatyard. The construction seemed to me like some kind of service launch. Any opinions?

Dave.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Is this a military launch?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »

That actually looks quite similar to the Seaplane Tender 206 I recently saw in restored condition at Newhaven, see: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23784.0

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:06:30 pm »

Like the old saying about buses , all turning up at once !!

Just come back from Tenby and took a visit to Pembroke Dock , saw details for the Flying Boat Centre and this was on display at the side of the building, Apparently it was used by a local Hermit for some years as a home before ending up here..

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:00:16 pm »

Same with the Adamcraft toy one, one appeared on here and then another in quick succession on fleebay. Ony two i've seen in 50 years (Three with ours)
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

cdsc123

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 07:15:00 pm »

1st vessel is a "broad-beam" 41.5ft British Power Boat Co RAF Seaplane Tender.

2nd vessel is an earlier 200 series Seaplane Tender, this one is called Barracuda she was at Hoo Marina pre Feb 2008 owned by Steve Burgess. She was taken on by the present owner for restoration....... 

Lord Bungle

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 01:40:19 pm »

1st vessel is a "broad-beam" 41.5ft British Power Boat Co RAF Seaplane Tender.

2nd vessel is an earlier 200 series Seaplane Tender, this one is called Barracuda she was at Hoo Marina pre Feb 2008 owned by Steve Burgess. She was taken on by the present owner for restoration....... 

I wish him all the best with it I part owned a Mk1.5 seaplane tender st1510 latter RSL1510 and once the rot sets in they become a money pit. Sold ours a few years ago and it has been restored  :} :-))
http://www.bmpt.org.uk/other_boats_history/ST-1510/index.htm

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:09 pm »

ST1510 is, to the best of my knowledge presently at Dauntless Boatyard, Canvey Island awaiting restoration. She is apparently up for sale at £2400, hull only.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 06:46:50 pm »

wow I thought they had finished doing her up at Marchwood.

davidm1945

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »

Hi Folks,
   I took this photo through the security fence surrounding the "graveyard" section of the local boatyard. The construction seemed to me like some kind of service launch. Any opinions?

Dave.

Now identified as ST362 - sold and renamed "Goosander" and now I suspect will be left to die unless someone with deep pockets takes pity on her.

Dave.

triumphjon

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:00 pm »

its a shame to see our heritage left to rot in this way , having been involved with the restoration of  an ex little ship a few years ago indeed very deep pockets will be needed to bring this poor vessel back to usable condition , what started as a couple of planks needing changing ended up as about twenty , all of which required a skilled shipwright to fit , it was however satisfying to see the project sailing again without the leaks ! the upkeep on these wooden vessel is huge , not to mention the cost of running them when they are working !

Lord Bungle

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 11:20:42 am »

its a shame to see our heritage left to rot in this way , having been involved with the restoration of an ex little ship a few years ago indeed very deep pockets will be needed to bring this poor vessel back to usable condition , what started as a couple of planks needing changing ended up as about twenty , all of which required a skilled shipwright to fit , it was however satisfying to see the project sailing again without the leaks ! the upkeep on these wooden vessel is huge , not to mention the cost of running them when they are working !
yep, it doesn't really help that when they were built they had an expected lifespan of 10 years, and here we are 60-70 years down the line still seeing them afloat. As you say Finding a skilled shipwright that can use wood is hard, but also finding good stocks of non kiln dried wood for the repairs is near on impossible. To restore a seaplane tender in that condition would cost so much it would be cheaper to build a new replica in steel.

triumphjon

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:03:46 pm »

thats the joys of our modern life style , nobody has the time to wait for seasoned timber ! would a steel replica look right , or handle in the same manner on origanal wooden vessel does ?

Lord Bungle

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »

not really but you could build and fit out the boat for less than it would cost to build the hull out of seasoned timber

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 07:38:47 am »

Double diagonal was used on these vessels because it was light, very strong and could be left on deck without warping or shrinking unlike longitudinal planking. To stay true to the real theme of the construction double diagonal in marine ply then fibreglass sheathed would be the way to go using modern epoxies etc.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:39 am »

This company  repairs and restores ex service boats, their site records their past projects :

http://www.newson.co.uk/projects/

Lord Bungle

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 10:32:16 am »

good to see someone has deep enough pockets to restore Zeta  :} :-) worth looking at to see construction detail on a seaplane tender,
have to say it brings a tear to my eye to see them in conditons like that, they are a fantastic boat to handle

davidm1945

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »

Hi all,

It's difficult to see through a steel security fence, but the one at Worcester seems to be in a much better condition than "Zeta". It appears to have had a fibreglass deck skin fitted at some time and this may have protected it somewhat. I'll have to try for a closer look!

Dave.

Lord Bungle

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 08:45:21 am »

A lot did, 1510 when in my ownership (put on before I go her) had a grp skin fitted over the deck, this also incorporated anti slip finish, and around the prop area of the hull also had a grp skin

davidm1945

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »

Hi All,

Someone had deep pockets to convert this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/House-boat-motor-boat-livaboard-yacht-/200533629539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb0bc5a63

Bidding has ended so you may have to scroll down. No bids at £28K !

Dave

Lord Bungle

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:16:10 am »

not surprised at that price, thats the sad thing about boats the cost a fortune to run and repair but when it comes time to sell the only person likely to see a profit are the brokers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.