Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Wakeful  (Read 891 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Wakeful
« on: December 21, 2023, 12:17:05 pm »

A model based on one of the Royal Navy's Emergency Class of WW2 destroyers was built in 2022.  It was to fill a gap in a series of 1/144 scale models built to illustrate how these vessels developed from the TBD's early at the turn of the century.

Construction was my usual "balsa-box" hull with most of the decks being detachable "plug-ins".  The model was 76 cm with a final weight of 1.1 kg, OK for those who won't accept the Metric System, 30 inches and 39 oz!
The drive-line might also seem antiquated, Monoperm motor, small Huco coupling and RipMax 1 inch dia three bladed prop assembly.  The modern equivalents would be something like RE 385 motor and a "RadioActive" prop assembly.

Powered by a 6 cell Nimh pack, it can zip along at a speed that matches the dynamic scale of the full size vessels at around 36 Knots.  Very smooth sailing and stable, if fact it reminds me so much of the first model I built in this series, HMS Lagos some 50 years ago.

Plans drawn up and now in the hands of the Editor of Model Boats, hopefully for publication in 2024.  The only problem is I enjoyed designing, building and sailing this model, I'm having to resist building something else in this series...
Glynn Guest

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Wakeful
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 12:20:50 pm »

Agh....!!!  Photos failed to attach, try again.
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 12:12:11 am »

I have always enjoyed reading your builds and consider the designs to be a good way for people to get into model warships without the fear of failing, a you take a lot of the finickyness out of the job such as fairing hull forms and getting the planking right. It allows the modeller to ease themselves into the more complicated techniques once they have proven they CAN build a model ship.

I appreciated your experimentation with different ideas of hull building within the basic GG ethos. I recall a Japanese (?) Destroyer with a rounded bilge, but retaining the sheer sides.

You mentioned once that you were considering designing a capital ship model and wonder if you have got any nearer this goal? I appreciate that it might not be possible to keep it to your standard scale and fit the drawings to the standard sheet size though.

Pond weed is your enemy

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 06:18:09 am »

My first ever ship build was Paladin, which was retired from my fleet and given to a younger member in the club
 A first class build, especially as I added a layer of lead under the hull then faired it in, which made it more stable without losing any power! I have built and sailed many of GGs designs, and even had the honour of meeting him at Mayhem a few years back,when he sailed his Corvette, that has never been published.  Great designs and even better to sail.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 01:25:06 pm »

ballastanksian,
                 Thanks for your comments.  The idea of a model based on a Capital Ship is still in my "Future Projects" files.  So far I have a couple of drafts for such models and even started assembling materials (the ply skins from an old door).  The scale would have to be around 1/144 again, which I find just right for enough detail to look right when sailing but not to much to make building a tedious chore.

Keeping a Capital Ship model in this scale would be my preference.  So far, using this common scale has worked for warship models from small TBD's up to Cruisers and Carriers. Also, making such a model plan fit into the magazines "free plan" size is not relevant. A smaller scale might make things easier but risks looking somewhat "toy-like" and would look silly if sailed in the company of my other models. Luckily, a 60 inch Battleship would fit into one car...

But, like most things in life, there are a few more things that need my attention.

Glynn Guest
[size=78%] [/size]
[size=78%]  L[/size]

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 02:21:28 pm »

Klunk,
       Glad to hear that your "Paladin" model was successful.  It was designed to be be a simple (I almost said "foolproof" but there are some really determined fools out there) way to build a successful warship model at minimum cost.  I am a little surprised that you felt it needed lead adding to the underside of the hull.  This is something I have never had to do on any my warship models.  There again, I came into this hobby via model aircraft where success demands light but sturdy structures and anything above deck level just has to be strong enough to keep its shape.

I guess we met at Wicksted? and whilst a pleasure I'm not sure you can claim it to be an honour.

Glynn Guest

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 04:57:32 pm »

There was a reason! I always felt she wallowed a bit too much. Plus, a club member named George had a blue happy hunter, which I used to sail behind and make Paldin a submarine! More than once.  Once leaded, she handled better for me with a little speed 400 in. As a matter of fact, I dug out the Phantom civil war paddler as my next build!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.