Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What Digi Cameras ???  (Read 16550 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
What Digi Cameras ???
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:31:28 pm »

Hi All  ;)
Looking at some of the picture in the forum I have to ask what cameras you all use.

At the moment I have an old Kodak 3200 it does but its coming to it's sell by.

I would like a camera that is small, compact (there is a difference) able to take Macro,possible zoom lens.Also powered by ether AAA or its own type of battery.reasonable size screen.flash of course.

Did notice that the pics of the 2006 Ally Pally (Martin's) were very clear.

Whats your camera ?

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What Digi Cameras ???
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:36:24 pm »

I have two - Pentax Optio - model no longer available - which has all you ask for, plus an optical viewfinder which I consider essential. This fits in a shirt pocket so goes everywhere I am likely to use a camera. I also have a Canon 350D SLR - again replaced but possibly still available - for which I have two lenses, a short zoom and a telephoto zoom. I tend to use this only on holidays.

Barrie

OMK

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 07:10:03 pm »

Until recently I'd been using a Canon Powershot A30. It's probably considered old by today's standards, and it doesn't fit your criteria for compactness. It did, however, take excellent pictures. And although it was badged with just 1.1m pixels the actual picure quality was comparable - sometimes better - than cameras' with a higher spec.
Noticed I said 'did' - not does. That's because it died after I strapped it to my plane. It fell to earth from an altitude of approx. 100 metres.
I would have bought the exact same camera, only Canon has now discontinued that particular model.
Not wishing to twist your arm, if you're in the market for a good digital, then Canon would seem to be a good choice.

Good luck.

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 07:13:33 pm »

At this moment well till next week at least I use a FUJI Finepix S5600 which has a good makro range The range si from 38mm to 380mm so it covers an excellent range,go to the Fuji site and get the full speck pm me if interested mine is for sale  gettong a Canon 400d Stavros

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 07:17:37 pm »

I, too, like Canon cameras.
At present I use a Canon G2. The current G Series is, I think, a G6.  The G series is very versatile, not cheap, but can fit in a coat pocket with ease. It has a Zoom lens , macro capabi;ity and is fully auto or fully  manual.
If you want something better, go for the SLRs. Better pictures etc, but physically larger

KenP

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »

I use an Olympus FE-120 and an old Fujifilm A202, Both use the small Xd picture card, 1Gb for £40 odd and the aa batteries last well.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:16:02 pm »

Two years ago my local branch of Dixons, now called something else had a good range of cameras. I wanted a small compact camera which would work with fast moving objects, (trains) and under low light conditions. Dixons in Gloucester had a folder on their counter which had examples of all the digital cameras they sold , one picture of a member of staff taken in the sore with the flash and one of the high street outside. All of them were printed on the same printer. the one I chose was the Nicon Surepix at what was then a very good 2.3mb. Nicon still do this range but with higher memory. I choose the Nicon as it had the highest resolution compaired to the rest, kodac, fuji, olympus etc. it was not the cheapest but mid range compaired to the rest. The quality of the pictures beat alot of other camers which had higher memory.

The moral is find a store which you can try the camera and compare it with other makes. I have found the name on the front does not nessessarily mean good quality.

Daryl

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:51 pm »

I use a Kodak Z740. 5 megapixel and 10x zoom. I find it great for taking pictures of models on the water without having to ask the owner to cruise past the bank. Too bulky to fit a shirt pocket, but fits a coat pocket. Does for me. Sample pics available on www.pambc.org.uk gallery pages 3 and 4.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:33:56 pm »

Check out this site - lots of useful info: http://www.dcresource.com/

You want at least 4 megapixels,plus 3x optical zoom and ideally an optical viewfinder. If you are taking pictures of models then one with a macro facility is very useful. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4600 a year ago because it gave me all the standard features as well as being quite compact and runs on a couple of AA rechargeable cells. I use it as a second camera to my CANON 350D digital SLR. I found both cameras to be good choices.

A big optical zoom is also useful but can be hard to keep sufficiently steady if hand held which means that the pictures can be a bit blurred, especially on compact cameras.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:02 pm »

I use a Cannon 300D have had it over two years now , great camera with great results once you have learnt to drive it
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 09:52:22 pm »

Hello,
I use a Fuji FinePix S 7000.
It can take photos up to 12 megapixels, or as low as 3 megs if required.
Closeups as near as 1cm.
Fully Auto or fully manual operation.
Video at 30fps.
Powered by 4 AA cells.
Compact Flash or xD Cards, up to 1 meg.
It is the best Camera I have ever owned, previous cameras were Rollieflex 2 1/4 sq, Nikon 35 mm.
Sadly now out of production, Fuji MUST have made them at a loss !!!.
John.  ;)
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

ajg141

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:51:32 pm »

Like barriew I'm using a Pentax Optio - the S4. Traded all my old SLR stuff in when the S4 was new and I've never looked back. Wife is much happier now that she doesn't have to lug around all my lenses, filters and tripods! The S4 fits in the pocket and does everything you could ask of it. Still learning new things it can do after 2 years!

Andrew

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:43:19 am »

I bought my wife a Nikon just over a year ago.  It was a 6 Megapixel camera from a camera with a zoom that is only a little bit bigger than a credit card.  The pictures are superb and you can download through either the included docking station or take the card out and put it in a reader.

For an in the pocket job these things are amazing.

Mine is a Canon 30D with all the gear and the really irritating thing is that by the time I have got the right lens on the thing she could have half a dozen shots on the card!!!

The trouble was this year I had to buy her a laptop to keep all the pictures on!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 09:03:59 am »

After consulting with a friend of mine (via another unrelated forum!) who is a professional photographer, I recently bought a Ricoh Caplio R4. 6 mega pixels, 7.1 optical zoom equivalent to 28-200mm on 35mm, dedicated battery and charger. The only slight downside to the camera is no separate viewfinder, you have to rely on the (largish) screen. Very satisfied with the camera on the whole, purchased via www.warehouseexpress.com who are very helpful, and cheaper than most.

Danny

Telstar

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 10:02:00 am »

Hi.
For a number of years both my wife and myself have used Cannon A40 cameras with good results. While a good reliable compact camera it is not small (something my wife commented on regularly). Recently she got a Cannon Ixus 65, and I must say this SMALL camera has a big performance. As well as a fully automatic point and press action, it can be switched to a manual mode where shutter speed, aperture etc can be played with to give special considerations. With built in flash, zoom lens, and selectable macro, its a nice small camera 90x60x20 mm. I have printed a photo from our hols at A2, without pixillation thanks to its 6Pixel format
Hope you have success with you search
tom

SureShot

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 10:58:26 pm »

If you are serious about taking great shots go for a Canon 20D. I photograph racing motorcycles and if it can capture on of these flying machines at 120 MPH it will do a model boat at alot less speed.

Chris

Roger in France

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:51 am »

I am no photographer and so I need something straightforward, point and shoot. I have a "Olympus MU 400" which I find takes good photos; is compact; foolproof and largely weather protected ( I avoid saying "waterproof"). The XD Cards can be expensive but the large capacity cards are a huge help. The interface with my PC is swift and easy. the screen and through lens finder both work for me. There is a micro setting and other selectable features but I leave well alone and just point and click!

Not much help I guess but a slight antidote to all the previous contributions from the  "Photography Enabled" Mayhemmers!

Roger in France.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 10:53:36 am »

All the pictures on Model Boat Mayhem are taken with a Minolta Dimage x20 ( 2.1 Megapixel )
I like it because it very small, VERY fast, has optical zoom ( internal - no sticky out lens! ) and takes ordinary AA rechargeable batteries.
The other camera I use is a Nikon Coolpix 4100 4.0 Megapixel - again 3 x optical zoom & AA batteries.

Whatever camera you choose, have a look on Steve's digicanms for excellent reviews.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 02:34:47 pm »

Cheers mates lots of choices too many these days unlike my first which was the Kodak instamatic.

Will have a serious look at everything at the week end

Thanks.

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 07:02:31 pm »

"All the pictures on Mayhem" Martin....all the pictures!

Roger in France.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 07:09:42 pm »

OK, edited the post.

Thanks Roger ( Plural police!  ;D )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:30 pm »

I like the casios myself - nice big screens and old-fogey-proof menus. Though I do hanker for the Fuji with 10x zoom and image stabilizer - the kodak 10x zoom doesn't have a stabilizer and I reckon at high zoom you will need one. Go to Jessops, play with one and then get one from Amazon or 7dayshop - unless Jessops will match the net price.Apparently they used to, but I dunno if they still will. Get any extra cards batteries etc from 7dayshop because their prices really are quite keen.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 09:37:14 pm »

Nikon Coolpix untill some "illigitimate" nicked it.

Now Use an Olympus SP500 UZ. 6.0 mp.  its the nuts.

Stavros

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 09:54:21 pm »

tobyker the Fuji s5600 does not need the image stabilizer on the 10x zoom,it is the same with any camera,change to manual increase speed and change aperture,if your camera does not allow this well change the range to a higher number ASA

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 10:37:26 pm »

Ok, Stavros. But I'm lazy, me. Biking and photography - point & shoot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.