Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Planet T5 radio, a review  (Read 25173 times)

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
Planet T5 radio, a review
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »

Planet T5 2.4ghz radio system

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a couple of months ago, I decided to follow in the footsteps of some other members of the club and try a new radio. The radio i have chosen to purchase is the new Planet T5, is a no frills radio, similar in functionality to the Futaba skysport IV, but with a retracts switch added as well.

What you get
The radio package I brought was just radio and receiver, without any servos or charger, the transmitter module has a small JR (center neg) charging socket, so if you get a charger for the DX61, which also uses 4x AA cells, you will be able to charge batteries in the radio itself using the side mounted jack.

The Transmitter
Unlike many radios on the market, this particular radio is what can be considered entry level, with no computer menus to worry about, this makes it an ideal radio for someone who is just getting into the RC hobby, whether it be airborne or surface modelling, though like any 2.4ghz radio, if you are a submariner, dont bother. (this has more to do with the dynamics of the waveband than the actual radio itself, 2.4ghz is not able to penetrate the water).

The power for the radio is from 4x AA cells, you can either use 1.5v single use disposables, or as in my case 4x 1.2v rechargables, for this i am using Sanyo enloops.

The layout of the radio is very tidy, with 2 very smooth acting stick gimbals, the throttle has a nice positive feel to it, and with each increment easily felt and is available in Mode1 and Mode2, though I have opted for Mode2, simply because i like the left hand throttle. On the top of the radio, there is a small flick switch for ch5, which unusually has two speeds, slow and normal, this is i presume for the flyers who want to have a more scale retract speed, rather than going in at full speed.

the centre part between the sticks is where the On/Off switch is located, with the display for the voltage being located at the top of the facia, rather than like the Futaba 6EXA which has its display located towards the bottom of the facia, and as it is a 4-AA pack, when the voltage gets to around 4.6-4.4v, it will be time to come in and change the batteries.

Unlike most radios that use 2.4ghz, the Planet t5 comes with traditional slide trims, ok its not very high tech, but manual trims have been around since the dawn of RC sets from futaba and hitec. and to be honest if they work, why change it?

To change servo direction, the servo reverse controls are easily located behind a tinted flap on the facia, just below the right hand stick and can be moved with a small screwdriver or a finger nail.

Binding the radio
this process is remarkably straight forward, turn on the radio, turn on the receiver and with a small screwdriver, press the button down on the receiver. yes its THAT simple.

The Rx that came with the T5 is a 6channel unit, about the size of USB memory stick, with a small single antenna on it, range is stated as good for 100m (300ft), which at that distance most models will be difficult to spot.

I have yet to put the boat on the water with this radio, however initial impressions, as someone who is used to computer radios are quite positive, if you want a radio that does exaclty what it says on the tin, then give this one a try. retails in the UK for £50, which is around $75 to $80 US

Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Planet T5 radio, a review
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 12:44:19 am »

Very helpful  :-)) :-))
Can we twist your arm to write reviews about some other sets  O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 01:27:14 am »

Excellent work Ghosty   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

karls

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:49:25 am »

Nice review ghost :-))

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 01:19:03 pm »

thanks guys,

On the subject of battery life:

it uses hardly any power, with one set of 4 nimh's lasting a few weeks at the pond rather than a few hours at the pond.

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

GRRREAAATTTT.....i was looking for a good guidance like this...thank you dicky...

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:13:06 pm »

Nice 1 Ghosty , how about including the rx set up , ie which way is up , white, black red leads against orange brown etc. I know some will find this bit elementary but some may not..  :-))

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:09:53 pm »

i think that can be done :)

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 12:13:46 am »

i think that can be done :)

From the uninitiated much appreciated  :-)) :-)) :-)) O0 O0 O0

ACTion

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »

Can anyone provide the URL for downloading the Instruction Manual, please? I'm one of those old-fashioned types who likes to read it first!
DM

ACTion

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 03:22:31 pm »

Ignore last Posting - now found.

Tutssy

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:14:00 am »

Father Christmas answered my prayers for a Planet 5 2.4ghz .I must say I am well pleased with it.I have now used it four times without recharging the batteries,so I agree it uses next to nothing. Myself ,I dont like the non return left throttle stick, so when I can find a supplier that actually has them in stock,I will by the return spring set, which is only about 50p! I even found it dead easy to tune in to my Mtronics Viper 15s,which I thought may have been a problem but no . I have bought a second receiver to go in another of my most popular boats,and that was only £13.95. I wish I went there sooner. SOooo uncomplicated. Mick

triumphjon

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:50 am »

i can also vouch for the quality and ease of use ,  ive had my t5 for about a year now , easy to bind more receivers , no interference from other models and a reasonable range to boot . im currently operating mine with a wee nip yacht , the recevier is more often than not below the surface of the water  ( inside a plastic pot ) and the model being operated in the solent . to date ive not had any signal problems with this either !  im also now using the later computer planet twister 6 ch 2.4 ghz radio ( uses the same receivers as tthe planet t5 )  both on my kysoho seawind & my fairey huntsmen , all of which are operated at the same location !

ACTion

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 08:02:19 am »

Myself ,I dont like the non return left throttle stick, so when I can find a supplier that actually has them in stock,I will by the return spring set, which is only about 50p!
J Perkins have these in stock @ £1.75. I'm currently negotiating for one. PM me if you'd like to "piggy back" on that order. No promises, mind!
DM

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

thanx for the offer,but I have just found out that a local model shop which I didnt even know about, near Culdrose has them, so I will go check them out.Cheers,Mick

pswinn

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:16 pm »

i have had one of these sets for 2 and a bit years now and for the price of it its very good iv never had a problem with it

i have done some modifications to it iv added a piezo so it beeps when you turn it on and beeps when the battery is going flat.
iv locked out the left and right on the left stick and locked off the up down on the right stick then put the 2 unused channels to switches
iv also added end stops to the left and right channel and to one of the switched channels.

and it all still works
again very impressed with it

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

I have just acquired a Planet 5 and would be interested in how you achieved those modifications.

Could you do us some drawings or info as a low battery 'bleep' sounds great.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

john44

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »

Hi pswinn, I to would be very interested in the ( piezo ) buzzer connection diagram, it does sound great, or it would do if I had one .

john

pswinn

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:55 pm »

Yeah I will do that for you
I will post up the buzzer mod for you its very easy. i think they just didn't add a piezo to cut costs

as i remember you can get them from Maplin for not to much
mine looks like this

for the other mod i will have to do some drawing so i will post up in a day or 2

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 09:30:10 pm »

Thank you very much for the info.

Ken

pugwash

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »

Having just read through the online instruction manual it states this receiver is to be used with a JP something or other servo.
Is that really the case or will my spare Hitec servos do the job just as well. Is it just a case of them trying to sell their own servos??

Geoff

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 10:20:10 am »

I cannot say for sure which ones won't work, but I tested mine on the bench with a hodge podge mix of servos and they all worked fine.

One interesting fact that I've found is  'which transmitter lever' worked which channel, so I've marked them to indicate thus. I particularly liked the channel 5 switch on the top which made the servo slowly move from one end to the other, and back again when switched.

What I didn't like was the pins are rather close together and all the servos plugged in were quite a tight fit. Might need sand on the edges of the plugs methinks.

Hope this helps

ken

pugwash

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 11:29:50 am »

Thanks Ken - will try the hitecs out but will not put on any really heavyweght servos
Geoff

john44

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 02:45:28 pm »

Hi pswinn,
Thanks very much for the buzzer info

john
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.