Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Models of Oliver Lee  (Read 23949 times)

knoby

Re: Models of Oliver Lee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 10:33:46 pm »

Took her for a sail tonight in a good wind. Its beautifully balanced & great fun to sail.
Sorry about the picture quality, but the camera is cheap & it operated by a Muppet  :embarrassed:
Cheers Glenn

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 07:02:46 am »

Lovely looker Glenn
What's her draught?
I could fit one in my car but would it fit our lake?
My Marblehead is bouncing off the bottom at the moment
because of the low water situation so a longer fin would be a
no no until we get some decent rain

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:23 am »

She looks great Glenn, nice hull colour too. Ned - Glenn can put you right about the draft, but just on memory the 1.5m didn't draw much more than the OLD style Marblehead draft before the fin length headed south. So if your MH has a modern long fin then the 1.5m should be ok on your lake

Mike

knoby

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 06:46:31 pm »

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

NED, she draws about 19 inches, its hard to be exact cos there isn't a waterline, but definitely no more then 20 inches, which is slightly less than my marblehead. Over the bank holiday weekend the marblehead was grounding out in a few places, since then the water level has gone up a couple of inches in our lake, but the marblehead still touches bottom here & there, but with this yacht, i haven't noticed that problem.

I am a little concerned that the sail size will prove too much for the HI Tec winch she is fitted with, but it coped OK last night in fairly strong winds, I guess time will tell.

Cheers Glenn

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »

When I bought the 1.5 new, I used the old original Whirlwind winch, the same as in my Marblehead at the time and it handled it ok. The Hi Tec seems a fairly poweful beast, albeit slow so I hope your fears come to nought Glenn. Either way you will be in for some exciting sailing  :-))

Mike

knoby

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:50 pm »

Thanks for your reassurance Mike, so far the winch seems OK. As you say its a little slow, which I may have taken as a lack of strength, The pictures were taken during very strong winds & the winch coped OK.

My only regret is I didn't buy a yacht 20 years ago, over the years I have become a little bored with sailing scale boats & the fast boats are way to expensive at the speeds I enjoy going. The yachts have reignited my pleasure in model boats, its many years since I went to the lake 4 times a week.

thanks Glenn

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 08:49:14 am »

Well you have got a lot of good sailing time to make up for, Glenn !  O0
When I returned to model making a few decades ago, after the childhood chuck gliders etc, I bought a scale coaster kit for my first model. When it was almost finished I came across Model Boats magazines and one of them had an article on a S.African Marblehead called Dik Dik. There was a plan reduced to one page which I gridded up to as near the correct scale as I could to get the shadows. After that it was built with everything I could scrounge, the coaster was forgotten completely, so much fun was I getting out of scratch building the yacht. Eventually I finished off both and shoved both in the boot of the car and off to the lake. To cut the tale short, every trip to the lake I took both but only ever sailed the yacht ! Finally one day the lake was almost frozen leaving a channel round the edge so I thought it was time for the Caribbean Coaster's maiden voyage ! I went forwards, backwards, round in circles and a bit of ice fighting. Then I drove home and gave it to a neighbors child ! Been a sail man ever since  %% Each to his own as they say, but I always thought that sailing involved that little bit more to get it right (or as near as you can ! )

Mike

kenthompson

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 07:33:14 pm »

Hi Jon
Did you have gave any luck with information about Oliver Lee.in 2010 ?
I am looking for plans for one of his designs. Trapper ll.
I have the model yacht and it is in a sailing condition, but I would like to make sure it is how it should be.if you have any plans that I could have a copy of, expenses up front if needed.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Ken

Little Rascal

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2015, 01:13:47 pm »

Hi Ken,

Only what was available in this thread to be honest. Funny you should reply just now as I looked in for the first time in years and saw your post! Been aeromodelling for the last few years rather than boating... Other than happily sailing my full size Europa :) my attachment to her grows and grows - as does my respect for Oliver Lee - she is so fast, weatherly and balanced that I cant imagine ever getting another boat!

Cheers,
Jon

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 08:18:07 pm »

Better late than never, but I remember one of his designs (M I think) being known as Squiblet . Nylet still list sails as being available for it

johnk

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »

Hi. The boat you're thinking of is called a MIG 3.5  It is very much like small Squib. You steer with a joy stick between your legs. All the other controls are situated on the cuddy.Several boats were used for disabled sailors at Rutland. The other boat mentioned earlier in the thread is the Illusion. when new yachts and yachting did a comparison test on the two, with the MIG coming out on top [naturally]. The MIG being a much drier and more stable boat. Cheers. John

johnk

• Shipmate

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer

Rhys

• Shipmate
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 09:02:50 pm »

I am pretty sure that Oliver designed the Hunter 19 was designed before he got into models. I bought a lovely 1 metre from him in 1986. I had it taken to NZ for me, and like many of my other projects it was never finished and sold on.
I too had a Hunter 19, amazing for such a small yacht, I loved it.

Geert VB

• Shipmate
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »

Hello,

I am looking for the plan of the marblehead of Oliver j Lee, not the building plans (i have them) but the plan that tells me how the lines go, wich controlls the sails.
I understand there is a main line, wich goes to the drumm-servo. 2 lines attached to it, they go to the main boom and fok-boom...  but then there is a stretcher-line?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply

Kind regards Geert

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2017, 07:43:52 am »

Hi Geert and welcome to the site.

I cannot help you with locating the plan you are looking for, however in relation to your question on the winch line. Basically it is a loop from the winch drum led by various pulleys so it passes along the deck. At one point the line is parted with a hook and eye, to this is attached the two sheeting leads that lead to the jib and main sails, plus some form of short elastic loop to which the other  side of the winch line attached. This elastic holds the winch line loop in tension so no loose coils can jump off the winch drum and stop operation. As to how the winch line is led up on deck and the leads for the lines to the sails, there are no fixed methods and are up to your own imagination !

I'm sure a quick search on google will find photos of the system which is the same for all drum controlled sheeting

Regards

Mike

Geert VB

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2017, 02:31:18 pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Searched on Google, and found plans given by the company that makes the servo's.

Currently spray-painting the hull and rudder. My god, not easy to become a nice result with a spray can..; but hey, first times are the hardest.

Any advice for a good place to buy new sails?

Kind regards, Geert.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 08:20:38 am »

Hi Geert

Here is the link to the Google page for sail makers. I use HouseMartin Sails and can recommend them but all the others are reputable makers. It boils down to how seriously you want to sail and/or race your yacht ie fun sailing go for the cheaper sails etc etc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=oyacht+sail+makers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab&gfe_rd=cr&ei=L4VDWYH8E9L38AfQxbO4Dw#q=model+yacht+sail+makers

Regards

Mike

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2017, 09:29:02 am »

I can also endorse Housemartin sails. :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Geert VB

• Shipmate
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 02:48:22 pm »

ready for first attempt
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.