Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first springer  (Read 3923 times)

dougp

first springer
« on: October 04, 2010, 01:13:59 pm »

help!!!! finished my first springer , great fun boat,but i can only get it to go in circles in reverse no matter how i put the rudder ,can any-one help me?  its a standard springer built to springer rules.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: first springer
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:26:11 pm »

Have you got the plugs in the reciever in the correct slot ?   If you mean all is normal going forward then I`m sorry but they are not good steerers in reverse.  BTW how about some pictures ?
..well can you land on this?

dougp

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:03:46 pm »

yes it is perfect going forwards only in reverse do i have a problem unless i give it full throttle then it will go in astraight line.i have not posted pictures before but will try. cheers

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:36 pm »

Most boats steer horribly in reverse, and the Springer seems to lead the pack.  Mine has a left hand prop (viewed from astern), so the prop walk when going astern pulls the stern to the right.  I find if I give it full left rudder before starting the motor astern, and give it 1/2 throttle astern, it will usually back straight.  With a lot of practice I finally can steer it in reverse somewhat.  But if it ever gets into a hard right turn it just spins, so I have to stop, go forward a bit, then go into reverse again.

After I had the boat for a year, I added the triangular piece (1/4" wide) to the rear of the rudder.  This makes the boat turn more tightly going ahead, and seems to help with steering in reverse.

Has anyone had any success with adding keels, running strakes, or other underwater fixtures to help with backing?

dougp

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:47 am »

thanks for all replies ,i thought i have messed up some where but it seems it is just one off the characteristics of this otherwise super models as you can probably tell im hooked,now whats next, here  are some pics,hopefully.

doug

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:32:58 am »

Yep thats a Springer, good job.   Maybe needs a window above the door ? :-)) :-))

dougp

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:56 am »

cheers for that arrow5 ,will may-be do that on my next one,by the way im in aberdeen if your ever down this way.

doug

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 01:23:14 pm »

I`m in Aviemore, lots of fresh water , hint hint :-))  I`ve been trying for a couple of years to get some Springer action going at the Loch Insh model seaplane event but no luck so far. Always the second weekend in Sept maybe put in your diary ?,  ( clashes with Leuchars Airshow) Cheers Duncan

Mr Andy

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:46:18 pm »

My Springer will not go astern where I want her to go, however my friend built one with a K nozzle and she was fine steering back or forward.

Andy.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.