Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor Mixers  (Read 3458 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Motor Mixers
« on: February 03, 2007, 10:09:47 am »

Does anyone have experience good or bad of motor mixers used in conjunction with rudder control to assist steering? Is any particular unit considered better than another? Grateful for any response before I spend my hard-earned.

BarryM

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: Motor Mixers
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 11:36:49 am »

Hi BarrieM,

I've used the Hunter Systems mixer on my Whyforce tug and very pleased with results.

When the model is stationary and rudder stick operated on the tx the props counter rotate spinning the model on its axis.

When the model is moving forward or reverse operating the rudder stick slows down the inboard prop assisting with a tighter turn.

A Y lead is needed to connect the rudder servo to one channel along with one of the speed controllers. All instructions are included.

2 speed controllers are required.   The unit connects between speed controller receiver leads and the receiver.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 11:59:26 am »

Ive got a hunter mixer and its very good for steering comp ,But its in a fire boat and as soon as you start to turn it slows the inside motor a bit too much for me and the boat slows and drops of the plane.but other than that its good fun.Ive heard people say that it is hard to "match" two motors to go at the same speed without using a channel for each,but I have found this is due to a lot of motors have been timed and so will not run forward and backward very well ,I found that by choosing motors with this in mind helps
Peter

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:11:13 pm »

I have been using Action mixers and speed controllers in my Al Khubar and US Coastguard cutter. With the cutter I won the SWAMBC medium class in 2005, with 3 Firsts and 2 Thirds in five rounds, speaks for itself for me!

Danny

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:20:27 pm »

Thanks for that info; it's really helpful. I haven't chosen a mixer yet but would be running it with Electronize ESC. Does anyone know if these have any problem with Astec, Action or Hunter units?

Cheers

BarryM

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 09:41:33 pm »

I use  Electronize ESC with the hunter mixer with no problems ,I like Electronize as Ive bean able to fix whatever people have done to them cheaply..

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 08:58:51 am »

Sorry lads but I've had a Senior Moment - should have said Fleet not Electronize. Doh...

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 06:02:24 pm »

hI HS93

sorry for diverting from the thread again - but, HS93 or anyone who has had this mix

Ive just installed 2 electronize speed controllers a 43VR and 43X along with a hunter mixer - and I find - when you keep the stick central and you move the rudders to operate the mixer one forward and one reverse it seems exceptionally harsh - there is no gradual build up of speed - but virtually almost well 2/3 flat out.
Does anyone else find this.
By the time the rudders is hard over.  Is this me, or is this the way they are meant to be?

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:11:18 pm »

Bluebird,

Have you tried adjusting the speed range to a lower position on both controllers. This should give you better control at the lower end of the tx range.

I've similar set up to you (2 x electronize ESC's and a hunter mixer) and all is ok.

Terry.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 07:44:32 pm »

Hi Terry (FC)

well, what Ive done is moved the 'Y' lead that normally goes into position 2 on the elevator mode stick for rudder (left and right) - Ive moved that over to the throttle rudder stick and I have far better control of it.

Strange, but true  :D by changing the position of the plug in the Receiver to a different channel has given me better control for some unknown reason.   I could put it down to the gremlins here in my workroom.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:05:08 pm »

What tx are you using ?? does it have exponential on the tx.?? it sounds like it may have if that is the case..mine start quite slow but I would prefer a bit slower  Peter

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:39:14 pm »

Hit the nail on the head my mate, Ive got a skysports 6, transmitter TX - no doubt I can sort the problemo out now...just got to get me grey matter to work  - I too having a 'senior momento'

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

my excuse is Ive just finished building the /assembling the Electronize speed controllers and to me the components seem a lot LOT smaller than they used to be - got a blinding heedache been using the large magnifying glass all day  ;D

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 01:30:32 pm »

Glad to hear you're making some progress.  ;)

Terry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.