Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: gautby road birkenhead lake with on board camera  (Read 7729 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
gautby road birkenhead lake with on board camera
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:07:35 am »

short video, using a fleabay £9.00 on board "key chain" camera, at Gautby road lake in Birkenhead, last sunday morning at 8.30am. It was a fab sunny morning, look how calm the lake is, which is used for IC power boat racing and yatch racing.

Apologies for duplication, but I will be putting the video on my Huntsman build thread, but thought you might like to see the lake, and how good these little camera are :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSdb8C9e_JY

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: gautby road birkenhead lake with on board camera
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:17:27 am »

Hi Red

Would you be prepared to give a brief tutorial as to how you set your camera up.

I have one of these, and being a Luddite, have not got it to work yet.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:29:02 pm »

Red, do you prefer comments on this thread or the other one at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.msg263167#msg263167

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »

I'm really impressed. The colour and quality are amazing for something so cheap.

(The boat ride is good, too!)

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

gwa84

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 06:02:43 pm »

have you got a link to the camera please excellent quality  :-))

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 09:21:23 pm »

Hi Ghost, good question, it would be better for me on the build thread, I want to see if I can keep it going for a year!! :}, seriously though, better there as it keeps everything together regarding the  boat, I posted the video seperate to show the lake (there has been a number of questions regarding this lake lately) and to show the camera

Tiger, I just turned it on and that was it, sorry cant give anymore info. I was given it as a present, I do have some basic chinglish instructions, would you like me to scan them on to the forum? One thing, I cannot work out how to shorten the length of video, and they take AGES to upload. I tried to open with windows movie maker, and Nero, so I could edit, but there is something about the format of video capture that would not allow this. If anyone has any help here it would be appreciated. I also used it on a friends rc heli, I will upload that, its fantastic!

One thing I have got from it, when you see the video I am uploading from a much smaller lake, it really show up how rubbish I am at driving the boat! At Gautby, I thought I was doing long straight runs, and clearly I dont!

To stop duplication, I will post further videos of the boat on the build thread, this weekend I intrend to have the camera inside the "engine room", that will be interesting, as I have a volts/watt/amp meter in there, and its belt driven, cant wait to see what is going on in there! :-))

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spy-Camera-Key-Chain-Camcorder-Video-Cam-720x480-30FPS-/180556741646?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a0a053c0e

search keychain camera, there are loads there, you get the lead to connect to camera, and can use a micro memory card if you want

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:48:25 pm »

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21584.0

some more camera work posted on this thread

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 12:21:36 pm »

OK - I have just bought one. It's sitting on my keyboard at the moment, slowly flashing a yellow light. but I can't understand the instructions, and I can't make the thing work.

Any chance of some advice?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 06:51:42 pm »

you plug it in to your USB socket on your PC to charge first, give it a few hours (pc on)  have you put a card in yet ?  if you put a card it you get a solid light to say it is recording. well mine does

Peter

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 07:56:22 pm »

you plug it in to your USB socket on your PC to charge first, give it a few hours (pc on)  have you put a card in yet ?  if you put a card it you get a solid light to say it is recording. well mine does

Peter

Yup - put it in a usb port - machine recognised it as a new drive, got a yellow light- first flashing and now solid. I bought a Micro-SD card at the same time and put that in. I imagine it's unformatted, so I tried  to format the drive - machine says there is 'no disk in the drive'.

Thought I would try to use it as a webcam - ran the capture software it came with - machine says 'you have no video capture hardware' ...

I wonder if it is not compatible with the card I bought...

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 08:06:00 pm »

there are two types of card mine is a standard micro sd their are high performance ones but this is the standard the same as red161 is using.they where harder to get . Ill find the place I got mine.

peter

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:32:03 pm »

there are two types of card mine is a standard micro sd their are high performance ones but this is the standard the same as red161 is using.they where harder to get . Ill find the place I got mine.

Ta. I see that some come with card included - at about £14 - it might have been better to have got one of those....

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 11:41:31 pm »

I got mine hear http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=473889&CatId=0

if you got the HC cards they wont work you need the type in the link  you need the one in the big picture

Peter

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:37:30 am »

I've just ordered one that comes with a 4GB card  :-)

I plan on getting some footage from one of my control line aerobatic model planes, should be interesting  :o

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 04:19:36 pm »

don't forget Ic engines are a bit like crop sprays for oil vapour so try and mount it behind a canopy.

Peter

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 01:23:01 am »

Sorted problem now - I had not pushed the card in firmly enough, and it wasn't connecting properly.

Camera and Video now operate well - but the controls are a bit confusing.

You have two buttons and one light. One button toggles it on/off, and the light shines when it is turned on.
The other button either takes a picture (one short push), or starts the video (one long push). But while the video is operating, the light goes off. So there is no apparent difference between a key-ring which is turned off, and one which is recording!

Apart from that, this is a cheap little self-contained recording audio/video camera measuring 2" x 1" x 1/2", and weighing 1/2 oz - I guess there are a lot of modelling uses for such an item...

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 01:35:12 am »

I got one of these as well  simpler to operate  but a little bigger but not much and they come with a load of mounts and the picture quality is better   http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166152

Peter
Main Features:

•Measures only 55mm high x 20mm wide x 20mm deep
•Includes 2GB (up to 8GB MSD compatible) Micro SD card to record up to 90 minutes footage
•Includes rechargeable battery for 3 hours continuous operation
•Standby mode with noise activation
•2MP High resolution recording
•Universal clip

Specification:

Video Quality - 2 Mega Pixel
Video resolution - 640x480 at 30fps
Sound recording - yes, built in mic
Memory - 2GB Micro SD card (supplied) upgrade to 8GB Max
Battery - Built in Lith-ion
Port - Mini USB connection (USB Lead supplied)
Other - Voice activated start/stop recordning

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 11:19:59 am »

I got one of these as well  simpler to operate  but a little bigger but not much and they come with a load of mounts and the picture quality is better...

But it's 5-10 times the price of the little key-ring, depending on where you buy and what your post options are. Do you think that the better quality is worth the £40 price?

nick_75au

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 12:09:28 pm »

There is a similar one to the Muvi that is cheaper, it looks identical except for the buttons are push rather than slide, as for the overall quality some say it is not as good. The Muvi one has available a watertight case, useful for the sub's but its nearly the same price as the camera itself.
Here is some vid. taken with the cheaper version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvsWy0x-H8A

Cheers
Nick

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 03:47:32 pm »

But it's 5-10 times the price of the little key-ring, depending on where you buy and what your post options are. Do you think that the better quality is worth the £40 price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-DV-DVR-Sports-Video-Camera-MD80-Spy-cam-30fps-NEW_W0QQitemZ180556745703QQcategoryZ48632QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D19%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4738503917870533632

try this the same one, it is a lot more water resitant, but not waterproof very light comes with a range of mounts and can be sound activated so you put it on the boat turn on and when the boat sails the sound of the motor activates it that is only an option, I only put the above one on as it had more info, the above link is the one red181 gave and they are on the same page.

peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 03:52:27 pm »

and another one diffent buttons etc but same sort of overall price, might be easyer to fit in some boats

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Spy-Camera-Gum-Camcorder-Video-Cam-720x480-30FPS-/180574512848?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a0b1466d0

peter

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 05:32:08 pm »

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

I've just picked up another small camera - the Muvi clone which is being sold for £12.99 on ebay.

The camera body is a high-class plastic - there are lots of mounts included, and the picture quality seems somewhat better than the key-ring cameras at £8. This looks like the best option for boat pictures...

ghost123uk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »

I just got mine  :-)

£15 with a 4GB card  :-)

Works OK  :-)

Here are the instructions ( I scanned them) =

808 car keys micro-camera

Thank you for choosing our company designed and developed series of security products, hope it can help your life safe and happiness.

Manual mode:
I. Enter the video mode in turn off status, long time press OFF / ON button till yellow light on long time press (video / camera button) till yellow light flash three times, light off enter into the video mode, then click (video / camera button) yellow light on for stop and saved, long time press OFF / ON switch off.

Camera mode:

Enter the camera mode in turned off status long time press (OFF / ON button) till yellow light on, click (video / camera button) the yellow light flash one time then take one photo and again and again and again.  Long time press OFF / ON turn off.

Time same time display adjustment
The product video recording same time with time display function, can adjust the time according to their own.

Amendments as follows:
First create a new Txt file by root of the storage TF and change the file name in "SetTime" “Open" SetTime" file, inside edit year, month, day, hour, minutes and seconds format (for example, 2009.05.13 IS: 10:00), and save the file before exit time created and modifications completed, when next time you start the machine, the time will be recorded simultaneously.

Ummm

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 09:34:43 pm »

My, that looks almost sensible!

From my box:

"Full to the folder with the use of small gimballed to the whole point of recording/monitoring functions. Easy installation, suitable carrier materials, the installation of the use of complex scenes."

Works well, though....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.