Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sir Charles Orr - info please?  (Read 3285 times)

sailorboy61

Sir Charles Orr - info please?
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:29:03 am »

Have seen on ebay a plan for the above ship, and old coaster/inter island trader, but I can't turn up any info from a net search.

Does anyone know anything about this old lady??

Thanks

Chuffy

Re: Sir Charles Orr - info please?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:51:43 am »

Model Shipwright, Vol 23 (1994-1995)

There is ref to MV 'Sir Charles Orr' as an Inter- island passenger cargo ship, might be worth following up.

No i'm not the fountain of wisdom, just a bit of luck on google.

Chuffy

sailorboy61

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:27:25 pm »

Tnx... will try some more searching.

Chuffy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »

I mate of mine has just emailed me, having seen the post but not being a member, with the following

Sir Charles Orr, Model Shipwright Magazine, Dec 1994. Don't know what's in it though, perhaps another member has a copy and would let you know. It would seem that the magazine is still available though out of print.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Chuffy

ericwiberg

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:10:18 pm »

This is my first post - I've been researching ship movements in the Bahamas in WWII for four years. Here is what I have:
Sir Charles Orr was built in the UK in 1930
July 10 1930 Capt. E. R. Westmore and 6 crew took 19 days to deliver her to Nassau Bahamas
July 29 Sir Charles Orr arrives in Nassau
Named after Sir Charles William James Orr, Royal Governor of the Bahamas (a colony at the time) 15 March 1927 to January 1932
Owned by Eleuthera Shipping Co. Ltd. for voyages between Miami & Nassau and Eleuthera and other Bahama islands (fortnightly service)
Dimensions: 116' LOA, 21' beam, speed 12 knots
Accommodations: 16 first class and 16 second class passengers with ventilation system, plus cargo / mail carrying capacity
Maiden voyage in service from Miami to Nassau: August 13, 1930, under a 3-year mail contract for the colonial government
Owner - Major George R. Benson was Managing Director of the Eleuthera Shipping Co.
Subsequent name: Monarch of Nassau, serviced southern Bahamas as far as Kingston Jamaica in the mid-late 1930s
March 1942: rescued 30 Greek merchant officers and crew from the SS Cygnet, ex-Mirach, Panamanian flag, sunk by Enrico Tazzoli under Carlo Fecia di Cossato on 11 March 1942 5 miles NE of Dixon's Hill Lighthouse, San Salvador, Bahamas.
Final fate not known, but was listed as disabled north of Kingston in 1951 as the Monarch of Nassau.
I would like very much to have a photo of the ship. Model Shipbuilder 1994 Issue 90 has a pull-out draught diagram of the vessel which I ordered from the UK to US.
My research is posted free at www.uboatsbahamas.com

G-DEMP

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 11:15:14 pm »

Did anyone ever build this from the model shipwright plans ?  shes quite a nice looking vessel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.