Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: British S Class  (Read 66506 times)

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: British S Class
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »

Thank you Andy will have a look and get some ordered.

Done a little bit more not a lot of time at the moment slowly getting there

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2012, 07:13:29 pm »

collected my next project today, makes my s class look very small

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »

That's going to be one big model. I am pretty sure that the type 21's where mostly of welded construction, so you won't have to start knocking out about 38 thousand rivet heads. I had a 1/48th scale type 21, brought it from a guy called Maurice Rickett, fitted it with r and r tank's. That will certainley go well under the water, very stream lined. Nice. Where did you aquire it from?
Cheers
Phil

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 02:34:59 pm »

Maurice Rickett? Now there's a name from the past, Phil...ex Yorkshire policeman if I remember  correctly, he was in the AMS back when I first joined.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »

It looks like the 32nd Parallel hull Andy Kiernan was flogging a while back.

Dave Wright has one of Maurices XXI's. Very nice boat- lots of detail. Was also originally fitted out with R&R tanks, but he decided to replace all the guts with a cylinder based ona  water pump ballast system.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »

Thanks for that Subculture. It's nice to know that some of Maurices boats are still out there, ans still going strong. Tomp has gone and got him self a real big project now!!! That will look fantastic when completed. Thanks again.
Phil

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2012, 09:58:38 pm »

It looks like the 32nd Parallel hull Andy Kiernan was flogging a while back.

Dave Wright has one of Maurices XXI's. Very nice boat- lots of detail. Was also originally fitted out with R&R tanks, but he decided to replace all the guts with a cylinder based ona  water pump ballast system.
Yeah it was off Andy met him at the weekend he has a lot of subs to be working on. I tried the pump today on a Robinsons squash bottle, it filled it to half way then wouldn't pump any more, then the hose popped off the bottle shot off and I got soaked made me laugh.

wullie/mk2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2012, 11:09:11 pm »

an old friend of mine he was a submariner for 15 years,he  has a few subs, that i,d like to share with you,..they are all static divers,either Engel,or OTW...+ an early Krick,...his first, then after that,he went nuts, he has 2 x Seraph,whatever they are,2 x Gato,s,1 x Akula,...and a monster that has 2 x engel tanks side by side,and what looks like 2 x kort nozzle i forgot to ask what it was,here are some pics

Wullie,s place is an apology free zone

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2012, 04:05:48 am »

I tried the pump today on a Robinsons squash bottle, it filled it to half way then wouldn't pump any more, then the hose popped off the bottle shot off and I got soaked made me laugh.

Yep- 15 psi will half fill a bottle, but no more, so the manufacturers spec is spot-on. You have to vent the tank in some way to get more water in. OTW vent into the dry spaces. With that system you need probes or a float switch in the tank to ensure you don't pump water past the vent flooding the module.

The test you ought to try is, to fill the bottle with water, then see how much you can pump out, drawing a vacuum in the bottle.

unseen

• Shipmate
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »

Re Maurice Ricketts,

His Type XX1 mouldings were sold to R&R Model Engineering many years ago along with the Surcouf which OTW is now marketing.  The Type XX1 U boat was not detailed when Maurice sold them to Ron, in fact the hull was rather poor.  The hull and tower was remodelled and detailed by me during the nineties to what it is today.  Didn't know they were still around to be honest.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2012, 06:13:04 pm »

Some of the hulls are still around, but the original tools were damaged I believe.

unseen

• Shipmate
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2012, 07:47:31 pm »

I just don't know about that at all.  I was asked to rework the hull and bow, which I did from Rossler drawings and close up photo's and detailed it in alloy plate.  After I gave it back to Ron he had new mouldings made and that was the last I saw of it, although I did see one of the first hulls from the new mouldings prior to being sold.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2012, 09:13:16 pm »

Slowly collecting bits and pieces for the WTC, looking for a decent fail safe any recommendations on one, needs to switch 12v if possible Cheers Tom

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2012, 10:05:58 pm »

Failsafes tend to operate an R/C channel, they don't switch power directly. Exceptions to this are some of the Subtech products- http://subtech.co/acatalog/SubTech_-_Products.html

Some products incorporate a failsafe directly. Also many modern receivers incorporate failsafes whih are programmable,  e.g. Shulze.

If you're planning on a system like the OTW module, then you might want contact Mike and ask him if he has one of these kicking about in his box of tricks-

http://microgyros.com/servo_ballast.html

Mike designed that for use with such a system, it has probes for full and empty on the tank, failsafe and can control a servo with microswitches or a speed controller to switch the pump, and valve. ou could use a pinch valve instead of a solenoid actuated valve, cheaper and smaller.

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2012, 10:55:04 pm »

Made a quick test rig for the sub internals need to add in a solenoid, level sensor, fail safe, servos, 2nd motor and the mixer. Going to put it on a board and test it before installing it in a WTC. Tried a optical LED fluid level sensor but didn't work for some reason need to test it see what happened just run out of time.

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »

Hi there Tomp. It looks like it is all coming together for you now, I take it that you are going to stand Subculture a pint some time then?
Cheers

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2012, 08:02:09 pm »

Made a quick test rig for the sub internals need to add in a solenoid, level sensor, fail safe, servos, 2nd motor and the mixer. Going to put it on a board and test it before installing it in a WTC. Tried a optical LED fluid level sensor but didn't work for some reason need to test it see what happened just run out of time.

Yey got it working helps if you read the manual. Quick video of it working http://youtu.be/J_ZwVVTzgWA
now to tidy it up put it on a board and test it

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2012, 08:55:32 pm »

Hi, need some help getting there but now I have come to the front torpedo tubes I am struggling with lack of space to work on it. I made a cardboard cut out to try get the correct shape but still can't get it perfect. I have been thinking about cutting the front of the boat off so I can do what I want then fibre glass it back on again when finished. Doing this is it going to make it weak at the front and could possibly break?

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »

Hi there Tomp. That seems to be a bit of a drastic move. If you have to cut the bow off, you can all ways make a couple of bulk heads , one for each part of the hull end, the ones that will meet each other, fibre glass them in, and bolt them together. This will have an effect on the boat as the water will hit the bulk heads as it comes through the torpedo tube doors though. I will do a sketch in the morning if you like. Tired now, just had a thousand mile drive around the uk this week!!! some holiday!!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2012, 11:37:31 am »

Providing you glass it back together again, it will be very strong.

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:45 am »

Tom,

Pm Ken on Subcommittee.

User name is corsairman,
He built an S and a surcouf. he might have an idea regarding the torp/bow area. maybe even a template he could scan and email you for the correct shape...

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10589&p=63053&hilit=corsairman#p63053

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2012, 01:19:31 pm »

Hi Batfish, yeah I have seen pictures of Kens S class, nice sub really good choice of colours. I am a member of the Sub Committee also so have seen Darrin’s build log on there again really nice build. It got converted to the OTW dive module from Darrin’s own I there is a video on you tube of it.
Still not sure how I am going to do the torpedo bulkhead yet but I have chickened out of cutting the front off. I will probably get a miniature contour gauge and build the front bulkhead, then slide it into the boat it seems the best way I can do what I want with it, we will see.
 You will not be disappointed with the kit it is very good, I will get an OTW type VII once I have finished the Type XXI so that might be a while yet. As for the module I’m trying to build my own I have had some great help from Subculture and Spooksgone without them 2 I would not know what I was doing, well that s a lie I would be parting with £860 and becoming a single man again!!
The motors are now sorted along with all the controls for the pump, failsafe, solenoid, level detectors and sump detector all works nicely.  Still hasn’t gone wrong on my little test bed for it so It’s now time to make the module just need the time to do it, most of my time is spent on a trampoline with my 2 year old little boy, loves the bloody thing but I have to be on there also! Cheers Tom

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

Ah Trampoline... horrible thing's cheap poles and the safety net's are rubbish, break in next to no time. Good laugh when wind takes it and it flys past the window  >>:-(

It's good to hear your getting thing's sorted with module and worked out your motor space issue.
Re the pump and probes, I'm sure andy mentioned microgyros and i'm sure mike at MG has updated it. Also subtech seems to be coming out with some new levellers etc. Might be worth a look at there web page.

I know what you mean about the Otw dive module, Not being rude to bob, but it's rather expensive for what it is!!

Have you sorted out a TX and RX??? I noticed a Robbe F16 on ebay for 200 quid seller had 8 avaliable.
Also worth checking Engel as they sometime's have good deals going on Graupner Mc and Robbe/Futaba gear.

Re, own module.. http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/PVCSheet  &  http://www.clearplasticsupplies.co.uk/acrylic_tube_clear.htm

I look forward to seeing more of your build Tom,

regards
adam

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 03:43:45 pm »

I have been lucky with our trampoline net is on the inside so can't get trapped in the springs and its really well built plus an added bonus was given it for free (I know I'm a cheapskate young family and wife part time that’s my excuse) I am going to use LED Optical fluid level sensors and my own relay board in the module, I can get these for £22. 2 types wet sink in the sump and dry sink in the module, they have a 12mm thread that will screw into the bulkhead and are self sealing due to the o ring on the end no other parts needed and cheap enough for me to afford plus they are good for 250psi. I have everything now for the module and total cost is just under £350 but I was lucky to be given a few parts for free which I owe Spooksgone a massive thank you for. I have a 6 channel 40mhz radio from a helicopter so I am sorted there thankfully can't afford another £200. I can kind of understand the cost of the modules they are very well built and a lot goes into the design of them I just can't afford it. It’s just this hobby is expensive, for the money I have paid so far I could of bought a Fleetscale kit with all the fittings and running gear, and electronics. But then it can't go under water!! Cheers Tom

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2012, 09:19:46 am »

So have you worked out a ballast tank size as yet??
Are you placing the main batteries underneath your module??
Does the top of the module sit above or below the waterline??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.