Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Railings  (Read 2419 times)

STEVO

Railings
« on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:42 am »

Hi all,i am in need of some help with railings that i have come across on an old Smit Nederland that I'm restoring,I've looked at some of the posts but still have some questions such as what is the standard gap in between each stanchion and whats the best way to bend the rails and was the kit pre-drilled to take these fitments ect.

Would much appreciate any help as railing are new to me,many thanks.

Stevo. ;)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Railings
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 01:04:19 am »

Stevo:

You may have already looked at this thread (http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10387.0) for the pictures of the railings on my Smit Nederland. The posts are, nominally, 1 3/16" apart.
  I bent the railings with a pair of needle nose pliers. I also have a handy tool that looks like needle nose pliers, but the clamping surfaces are tapered and round. They're excellent when a nice radius is required in a bend.
  I don't know if the kit is predrilled. I doubt it. Since mine is scratch built I had to drill all my own holes.

John

farrow

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:11 pm »

I have been just given the complete kit to make and looking in the box the top is all marked Plywood which has to be cut out so I doubt if there is any drillin for staunchions.

STEVO

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 10:26:37 pm »

Thank you for your help. :-))

Graham Lane

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:17:54 am »

I bent the railings with a pair of needle nose pliers. I also have a handy tool that looks like needle nose pliers, but the clamping surfaces are tapered and round. They're excellent when a nice radius is required in a bend.

I think these are used for basketwork.  Very handy if you can get a pair as the radius gets smaller as you get closer to the end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.