Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 8533 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2017, 07:02:21 PM »

I don't believe this. I had another stinker of a rattle can  <:(
Bought two cans of brownish red oxide for the lower part of the hull. The first one worked like a charm, but the second one started behaving a bit like that dreadful can of Agent Orange: dry powder exiting the can. I can only assume that one of the two cans was sitting in the shop for too long and part of the solvent evaporated. I always give all the cans a very thorough and vigorous shake, this can't be the problem (and the first one was OK, as I said).
Well, not much of a problem, provided that I can get my hands on a proper can  {:-{

I don't know if you can see it on the pictures below, most of the color is from the good, first can but the white patches is from the bad one where the dry color didn't stick.
This really can't be true.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Proper Pain Job Part II
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 08:48:22 PM »

I can only echo my sentiment from earlier: what a difference a proper can of paint makes. Today I bought not one but two cans of brownish red (or is that reddish brown?  :-) ), just to be sure, for good measure.
And what can I say: mucho better - like a can of spray paint ought to behave. The result was accordingly convincing. This time I left some of the rough, powdery patches from the earlier Can of Death in place on purpose to give it that slightly rusty, weathered look that I came to like from the Orange Disaster last week. I think it looks the part.
Next up is determining her waterline (talkum powder is at hand) and spray painting the upper part of the hull in Tamiya Black.

I also got some pots of paint and started hand painting some of the fittings. I like doing that - it's almost meditational. And I can listen to some good music or to an audiobook or twenty  {-)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 09:06:26 PM »

Revell do some good colours, I bought some to paint an Albacore some years back and the acrylics were a delight to use.

Re the rattle cans, did you buy them from the same shop? If so, I would avoid them and find another stockist, not always easy I know.

Your hull looks good  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #128 on: Today at 06:32:28 AM »

Thank you!
Nay, the two cans were from different shops and they're not even from the same manufacturer. My guess is that these two colors are not exactly bestsellers and sat on the shelf for too long... but I wonder. There's no exp date on any of the cans, nor a lot number or anything. How does one keep track of one's cans, age-wise?

Anyway, for the black paint job I have Tamiya rattle cans and I'm positive that they won't cause me any trouble. And after that it will primarily be hand painting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up