Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 143789 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »

I have spent Sunday afternoon slapping humbrol No111 all over the primer grey superstructure, giving almost all of the model it's final colour. The two boat decks retain the primer grey at the moment. They are going to get the timber deck treatment, so it was kind of pointless laying a coat of colour down to then glue planks to it later. There is the possibility I may try and fake the deck effect with paint instead. There is an area in front of the bridge that is virtually unreachable for planking, paint may be my fall back option. The last fake deck I painted was twelve years ago in a manned battleship and the planks were 1" wide..much easier.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »

I still have details to add, including pop guns ( must put the US pattern 5" gun on that circular platform aft, someone else referred to it today as a 'flight deck'! ), boxes, crates and winches, deck plumbing, all busy busy things, which help to make a semi-scale boat look more 'scale'.
Also the electrics for the whizz bangs, plus associated electrical plumbing still need to be fitted..so it's not finished yet.
Today was a test to see if I could launch and recover the model on my own. I cannot lift it with strops when it is all bolted together, however, if I bolt the bow and centre section together, I can launch this, then attach the aft radio section once afloat.
Also, it was a brushless motor test day, so I had my mid refit Perkasa with me also. 37" model for scale alongside Ohio.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2017, 11:29:48 PM »

Happy noises from me..August 1942, Valletta Harbour, Malta, and April 2017, Canoe Lake, Southsea. Looks good, just need to get the pumps working..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:21 AM »

A short play on the pond on Sunday, 10:45am till 4:30pm. Ran out of batteries!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:36 AM »

Right, to work. Deck planking. One, I'm not planking it. Too much like hard work, so I am trying another option, faking it!
The idea being to produce a deck looking effect, without adding every single plank.
First job was to slap on some acrylic Ochre as a base colour. Acrylic is pretty impervious to solvents, so should stand up to whatever else I do to it later in the process.
Next job is to lay random 3mm wide masking tape, in a planking pattern, to allow me to paint a different colour in the gaps. This all went well for about eight plank widths, after which I mostly lost the plot. Trying to remember what repeating pattern is next, while randomly leaving some planks out, proved too much for my little mind! Not helped by me having introduced four full length tape lines to keep me on the stright and narrow. None of these followed the pattern :o :o

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:54 AM »

Next job was to apply a rough coat of a similar, but lighter deck colour. I went with Tamiya Buff. Light in colour and quick drying. This was chased in, in varying depths of colour, between the tape. Making sure, wherever possible, to build up a bit of thickness along the tape edge, which comes in handy later.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: April 19, 2017, 01:25:07 AM »

Before removing the tape, I chased in an oil based wood stain, randomly applied. it was at this point I wished I had laid this plywood deck with the grain running fore and after, rather than athwartships,
 D Head.... %) ..
Then off with the tape, and in with some more wood stain. This time working on the individual exposed planks. Also, anything that had previously dried and looked a bit tat, could be re-worked with a brush damp with fresh wood stain.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:19 AM »

Happy with that. Once I have some clutter on the deck painted grey, plus cut the planking in with grey, a couple of millimetres in from the outer edge, it should all look tikkety boo ( that's technical speak for 'Not Pants' ).
Three more decks to go...great >:-o
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up