Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523136 times)

triumphjon

Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 03:47:55 pm »

be down for "SEA TRIALS " this weekend then ! ! all saying the lake hasnt frozen up yet ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 09:13:57 am »

Am considering fitting an ice strengthened bow out of oak! sea trials may take a little while yet, quality cannot be rushed!!!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

triumphjon

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 05:32:40 pm »

we have some nice peices of stainless steel here could be sharpened up well !

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 09:26:28 am »

As promised, sketch outlining a proposed method of securing two destroyers alongside the Ohio. I think it is self explanatory. Any thoughts for or against, would be appreciated...

tjones27

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 09:49:52 am »

Hi,
i am nowhere near as experienced as you, but i ma very interested in your build. i have one question about your idea for attaching the destroyers. its a good idea and the diagram is very self explanatory. but what if you want to reverse? would there be no way of maybe attaching the rod from the destroyer to a servo so it can be pushed up into the bracket, that way you will have far more control? just an idea. i look forward to seeing the result.

Tj

Yarpie

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:22 am »

Alan,

this is very much in line with the suggestion of outriggers.  Good principle but (there's always a 'but'....), on model destroyers some owners slide their batteries in through the foc'sle deck aperture. A big stick coming from keel to deck level would tend to get in the way. %)  Notwithstanding, it would be possible to drill a hole in the keel of the destroyer and put a short rod in and make sure it really is secured in position to maintain the watertight integrity.

The idea is sound because it is 'quick release'. As OHIO is designed to sink to her gunwhales, any tendency to over-ballast would perhaps drag her under, causing two fully attached destroyers to go down with her.

I further like the idea as the two 'outriggers' can be designed to be removed from the OHIO's hull when it is on static display.

Also, from experience, there would be no reason for the conjoined vessels to go astern as the only motive power came from the destroyers anyway (propulsion and steering).

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:21 am »

Thanks for the rapid responses. The reversing issue can be overcome by setting Ohios motor running very slowly astern, once the destroyers are attached. The destroyers would provide forward control, but as they throttle back, Ohio would provide astern control.
The holes through the destroyers issue; as an alternative, the post could be secured through the main deck aft of the funnel. Brought up to deck level, maybe under a removable set of torpedo tubes. Any water passing up through the tube would run off the deck without entering the model.

rshermanking

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »

just to prove that there is something bigger than his ego and to give some real idea of length.

rshermanking

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »

Yay! Catch of the day!!
Good job it was bolted together....WHAT EGO?

triumphjon

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 09:17:25 pm »

are you sure hes safe being let loose with a hammer ? 

rshermanking

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

you should have seen what he was doing with it just be for the picture was taken.

triumphjon

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »

it ok ive heard what he was doing to the monster before the camera came out , i know it involved brut force to break the " seal " !

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 10:37:18 am »

Hope everyone had a great Christmas,
16th December: Today we filled out the joining bulkheads with filler. The method here involved doping, then waxing one side of the bulkhead. Then slapping filler over the opposite side and slapping the two parts together. Then wind up the M8 bolts while resting the two parts of the hull on a flat surface.

Then comes the good bit. Once the filler has gone off its time to take the two parts apart. Following winding the nuts to the outer end of the threads, I proceeded to nut them with a hammer... Nothing...and again.....Nothing. Plan B, Place the joint between the two hull parts over the table edge and lean down on it!! Snap!!

As you can see, the joints seperated with minimal damage, easy to repair.
Next up , fitting what I would call horizontal chine parts. These will allow  the hull sides to change angle as they are fitted from deck to keel, imparting a bit of shape to the hull sides.

A good evenings work.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 10:53:28 am »

An ongoing parallel development is our butchering of a Planet T5 radio system to control the effects on four different models. As you can see, some modifications have been carried out to the standard set!!

Our technician, Helen, concentrating on the project at hand, the kettle was obviously empty at the time!!

The yellow dial and the red switch, top right, will control Ohios functions, while the other dials will control other models. The control box shown in the first image at the top, is designed to be interchangeable between different models as needed, kind of how the Royal Navy works these days...! %%

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 11:03:35 am »

December 17th: It were mighty chilly at clubhouse today, so not much work done.

This part was just a fillet between the two parallel frames forming the radio compartment. The foaming PU glue hasn't foamed out yet, but is clamped to prevent movement as it cures.

These two images show the oak motor mount for the blower motor, and the three parts of the model assembled to show off its lines... Looks good so far. :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 11:27:06 am »

Good to see this project back towards the top of the leaderboard!

It's ambitious and unique to say the least. So many new ideas incorporated in its conception, it obviously requires a lot of pre-planning.

Great progress despite the weather conditions. Well done, and keep up the good work. :-))

Thanks also for keeping us posted on progress. :-))

As its a WWII tanker, can't wait to see the spaghetti arranged on the upper deck. %% :}

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 11:38:03 am »

december 19th; Rear hatch cut out from the deck part, then screwed and glued down.

Shown next is the scale, authentic to the period, Octura 47.5mm, 3 blade, Carbon Hydroprop. Dog drive type.

Well, it may not be authentic, but it is well made, and tough as old boots. :D

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »

Good to see this project back towards the top of the leaderboard!

It's ambitious and unique to say the least. So many new ideas incorporated in its conception, it obviously requires a lot of pre-planning.

Great progress despite the weather conditions. Well done, and keep up the good work. :-))

Thanks also for keeping us posted on progress. :-))

As its a WWII tanker, can't wait to see the spaghetti arranged on the upper deck. %% :}

Cheers Mate, much appreciated.
The Pre-planning has proved to be a bit of a problem as 80% of it is in my head, while 20% is from plans ( which have not been out of the roll for two weeks!!). with the help on the build from fellow members, we have caught up with all the pre-planned stages and are now building 'in the dark'. I find myself staring at the model on occasions, not sure what to do next.. thank god for members input :-)).
Spaghetti will need to be fire and blast proof %% %% %%

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 04:14:03 pm »

December 23rd, the next series of photos show the deck access hatches cut into the centre section, also the two bilge pumps provisionally fitted. One to fill the centre section and one to empty it.

Centre deck is now glued down in preparation for fitting the sides.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 04:24:45 pm »

Back to December 19th a moment...
On the bottom of the model, the plan was to fit two battens 1" x 1/2" down the centre of the model, spaced about 6" apart. To provide stability when resting on the lakeside and to protect the prop and rudder. However John says "Why dont you do it like this??"
'This' entailed moving the batten to the edges of the hull, including the shaped sections fore and aft :o
However, in a moment of immense generosity, he then offered to fit them himself... who am I to argue.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 04:32:19 pm »

Back to December 19th a moment...
On the bottom of the model, the plan was to fit two battens 1" x 1/2" down the centre of the model, spaced about 6" apart. To provide stability when resting on the lakeside and to protect the prop and rudder. However John says "Why dont you do it like this??"
'This' entailed moving the batten to the edges of the hull, including the shaped sections fore and aft :o
However, in a moment of immense generosity, he then offered to fit them himself... who am I to argue.

What then followed could be described as the 'great christmas G-clamp hunt of 2010' , as the parts had been weakened by placing bandsaw cuts into them, it seemed unwise to drill and screw them into position. therefore it was decided to clamp and glue them only, a good test for the PU adhesive..

triumphjon

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »

soon be putting the skins on ? ?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 09:50:39 am »

December 23rd again,
At the stern of the model, members were working on producing a pattern for the plywood hull plating. The intention is to use 8mm thick ply to skin the model. This is a bit heavy for normal use, a more practical hull thickness would be about 3mm, which would bend around awkward curves easier, however, this needs to be literally 'bomb proof'!

The next series of photos show the pattern being produced from a heavy card, prototyped with a light card, and finally marked and cut out of 8mm 'flexiply'.

The next job will be fitting it :o

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:43 am »

December 23rd...
The first image shows the bottom timbers trimmed to fit, thank you mister angle grinder :-))

The next three photos show the provisional fitting of the two marine bilge pumps, what we call an action shot amongst them!!

The final photo is an example of the law known as 'Murphys'...the model needed a drain hole through the centre bulkhead, so I get out the 22mm flat wood bitt and proceed to drill through the bulkhead..."you should drill it from both sides," advise the members helpfully. So......WHO put that wood screw THERE??? The same person who was drilling the hole and the same person who should have checked there were no screws in the way...
Being a genius should be a full time occupation {-)
Thats the build shut down till the new year, thanks for looking :-))

Yarpie

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 03:34:54 pm »

Good progress Alan and helper monkeys. :-))

Your last image indicates that you have a water vole in residence! O0

Have you worked out the effect of the water volume pumped into the centre section against the overall displacement of the vessel? From the images posted it looks to be considerable and should bring her down to 'gunwhales awash' position easily. It looks to be a very sturdy build so far and a vessel that's built to last. Almost as bombproof as the original. :-))

Keep it coming and Happy New Year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 23 queries.