Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523135 times)

rshermanking

Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2011, 02:32:25 pm »

so what happened here graham

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »

I believe this was our first 'waterproofing test' involving a spilt cup of tea. The model stood up to this test well, better in fact than the member, who promptly burst into tears, having just paid 50p for the privilege of a hot brew....
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Yarpie

« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2011, 08:29:45 pm »

Mein Gott!!

what on earth are you lot up to??

Christening the ship with scalding hot tea (five sugars please) and then letting a crazed lumberjack loose with a heatgun so near to that neatly constructed pile of timber. >>:-(

Recipe for disaster. :o :D

triumphjon

« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2011, 09:48:05 pm »

its just as well the tanks wernt loaded , dont want a flash fire on board yet !  what type of filler are you using ? as with most of the trade sized body fillers the hardeners are universal ! is the workshop cold indoors , or have you been storing the filler in an out building as this will affect is curing time ?

farrow

« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2011, 10:36:17 pm »

I expect you probaly have already seen this pic, but in case you havent I have attached it. By the way when will you be trying her out on canooe lake.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2011, 10:10:19 am »

I expect you probaly have already seen this pic, but in case you havent I have attached it. By the way when will you be trying her out on canooe lake.

Canoe Lake will be our testing area, probably in a couple of months. However, we will be ironing out the bugs in our test tank first. Excellent photo that I dont have, have you got it at a higher resolution?

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: February 17, 2011, 12:58:11 am »

We are at that stage in the build where nothing much seems to be happening week to week, currently filling and sanding.

The bow section is here being filled where the vertical 'planks' were fitted, some trouble was encountered with the filler not initially going off, a combination of low storage temperatures and not enough hardener. This is being resolved by warming the filler before use, and not being so 'tight' with the hardener.

A proposal to deter pirates <*<

The other part of the model needing filler is the joins between the three sections, here the bow to midships joint is being addressed. We are using brown parcel tape as a simple release agent on the side of the joint not needing filler, works so far...
The second image shows the bottom profile of the model, its underwater and doesn't need to be pretty, although what this does for the hydrodynamic efficiency of the hull, who knows :o

It is creating a big mess all around and under the model. This calls for a big clean up, new broom etc :embarrassed:

The final shot is from the bows and gives an idea how a pile of plywood sheets has started to look like an iconic Second World War vessel in little more than ten weeks. We are planning to bring the model along to the Midhurst Modellers Show at the end of this month, she may need another dust before that :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2011, 01:07:22 am »

Mein Gott!!

what on earth are you lot up to??

Christening the ship with scalding hot tea (five sugars please) and then letting a crazed lumberjack loose with a heatgun so near to that neatly constructed pile of timber. >>:-(

Recipe for disaster. :o :D

In my defence, I had just come back from felling Redwoods for the next part of the build, got chased by a bear, fell down a ravine, joined the Mounties, stopped illegal liquor being smuggled into Gosport, canoed through the back woods pursued by rednecks, found a dam blocking my way, invoked the ancient forest gods to bring a flood to destroy it, this failed, so I contacted 617 squadron, got an ansaphone message "closed due to lack of interest", so went round the dam, arrived at clubhouse late to find THEY hadn't put enough hardener in the filler, hence, the heat gun :P

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2011, 01:12:05 am »

Making the Horlicks up for the 'older' members :-)

Time for bed...

Yarpie

« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

Wait until Robbie 'the deep' finds out that you have been wiping that stirring stick on the sails of his HMS TEMERAIRE, on the bench behind you. <*<

And I accept your excuse for the heatgun mate.  Perhaps a little bit dubious about the illegal liquor being smuggled into Gosport, but the rest is somehow believable. %)

bat44

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2011, 04:10:15 pm »

as unbuilt said or this filler and sanding doses make for a lot of mess

any one would think we have a dust problem

bat44

« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2011, 04:33:59 pm »

when you are doing a build like this dose size matter?...............well when you are quarter of an inch short of 100 inch then yes size is everthing.So when we found out that the stern of the boat was not how it should be, we had to put it right and make it a 100inch boat.
so the first part was to cut and shape a block of wood then glue to the boat

then we slapped on a load of filler then made some more mess sanding this down

so now we have the back of the boat looking how it should

so do we have a 100 inch boat ? ....ER well ER... no what with all that sanding no but we have a plan 

ben hall

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

when you are doing a build like this dose size matter?...............well when you are quarter of an inch short of 100 inch then yes size is everthing.So when we found out that the stern of the boat was not how it should be, we had to put it right and make it a 100inch boat.
so the first part was to cut and shape a block of wood then glue to the boat

then we slapped on a load of filler then made some more mess sanding this down

so now we have the back of the boat looking how it should

so do we have a 100 inch boat ? ....ER well ER... no what with all that sanding no but we have a plan 

you have a plan

dun dun dun

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:54 pm »

We are back on the build.
First up, i wasn't happy with the bow profile compared to side views of the real ship, this coupled with some very good top views of the model on display in Malta indicated a slight change in profile would be acceptable.

Although one or two of the images are out of focus, I hope it gives an idea of the process.
Firstly, a plywood profile was cut out of 8mm ply, this was drilled to accept 4mm stainless pins which were drilled into the bow.
This was firstly epoxied, then secured with the green Glassfibre Repair Paste, Then filled with Marine Filler... in fairly rapid succession. The different adhesives/fillers were applied as soon as the proceeding materials had started to gel off. The bows then proceeded to generate a healthy amount of heat!
The finished bow has a far better profile and shows to good effect the excellent finish obtained with the Marine Filler ( i'm still not buying any  ok2 )

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2011, 06:08:03 pm »

I am ,apparently a fussy git when it comes to certain details. Hawse pipes, for example, should be fitted from hull to deck, I dont like seeing an anchor stub glued to the bow of a model, having been sheered off in a collision, leaving a stump of epoxy or cyano.
So, lets drill holes in that pristine bow :-))

To have a fighting chance of getting all the holes in the right place a block of timber was drilled as a pattern, this was marked with pencil lines, aligned with marks on the deck, and clamped in place. A drill then carefully did the business, until it emerged from the hull side. A brass tube was then slid into position with epoxy smeared around it, Success :-)) ( the first time and the third time, don't ask about the second time!!)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2011, 06:13:42 pm »

As with the bow profile, I felt we could improve on the stern profile, looking at photos of the original vessel being towed into Grand Harbour, it looked      different. So, out with the timber block, Jelatung this time( about time we used some of it up!).

Once again, Marine filler was used, giving a great finish, note that the profile of the model changes between pictures 1 and 3 as Mark sorts out the 'slight' imperfection visible on the port side of the model.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

I have been hinting at 'plating' detail for a couple of weeks, it is usual when this happens to receive much mocking and complaints about slowing the project down, for the sake of  'pointless' decoration. However, I like pointless decoration, even on a model destined for soot, rust and gunge throughout its life!
And it was going on, no matter what :-).
I wanted to try out a technique described by David Merriman, a model sub man from the US of A, involving filler and tape to create raised plate detail, so starting small, I taped up around the hawse pipe outlet, two layers of masking tape, and applied a thin skim of filler, this was then rubbed down with the tape in situ, avoiding rubbing too much away.

So far so good, the last picture once again shows how nice the finish of Marine Filler can be ( still not buying any...).
With the test out the way came the big one, right down the hull side, both sides...

Same technique only much more filler, and tape, 32' plus that extra inch the model has grown by %% %%.
This time a different approach was forced on us, it was getting late, so, off with the tape as the filler gelled off....................................TBC

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: February 25, 2011, 03:02:20 pm »

That's a technique I haven't seen before. It does look impressive.

Can I ask what material you used and if such a length will crack or break off.

Watching with interest.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Yarpie

« Reply #168 on: February 25, 2011, 03:40:42 pm »

Agreed Tug --- Kenny, different technique, never saw it myself either.

Recently I glued 0.25 mm plasticard "plating" to my 1:72 scale HMS RODNEY. Reasonable finish. See here:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27664.50

As both models belong in the same Team, it will be fascinating to compare the merits (or de-merits) of each technique. But we must bear in mind that RODNEY will not suffer quite such a pounding that OHIO will sustain during pyrotechnic displays.

Watch this space ...........  %)

I'm also in full agreement with the addition of the plating effect on the OHIO. :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2011, 05:52:00 pm »

That's a technique I haven't seen before. It does look impressive.

Can I ask what material you used and if such a length will crack or break off.

Watching with interest.

Ken

We are using bog standard car body filler, available from any car accessory shop. The tape is 2" masking tape laid two strips thick to give a bit of depth. This is removed either when the filler has been sanded down, as with the hawse pipe, or when the filler becomes 'green', just before hardening off, when it can still be trimmed with a knife. So far it is sticking like the proverbial, as this is how it would be used for automobile repair work. Next week we will be trying a variation on the theme, laying the tape to represent one side of the plate only, the filler will fair into the hull on the other side of the 'plate', smoothing away to nothing.
Ultimately, this effect will help when it comes to weathering the hull, as washes of rust and chipping can be applied to the plate edges to greater effect than to a smooth hull.
Thanks for the interest...

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

Okay,back to the build.
Yesterday, in an all fired rush to prepare the scruffy looking, dust covered heap for the Midhurst Modellers Show this coming weekend (27th Feb, The Grange Centre, Midhurst, Darkest Southern England.) we tidied, vacuumed and sanded.
1) Pumps fitted, these were bolted in the case of the 'pump out' pump, and siliconed in in the case of the 'pump in' pump. The 'in' pump is flush with the bottom of the hull and fitted into a 2" dia hole. The 'out' pump is raised off the tank bottom by about 3mm and secured with stainless M4 machine screws.

These pumps are Whale Industries marine bilge pumps and will pump up to 50 litres a minute, if you ever want a firefighting monitor pump, these are the kiddies :-))
2) The rudder is next, this is loosely based on the Schilling Rudder concept, with a wedge at the trailing edge to deflect water sideways similar to a Becker Rudder, but without any moving parts. This started life as a commercially available rudder which then had a copper blade soldered to it using Plumbers Solder, hammered to shape, and filled with Glassfibre Repair Paste before being trimmed down with various sanding implements :D

3) Push Bars, these are for the two Destroyers to locate into, as they come along side for the last part of our display. The bar is 4mm Stainless Steel, the tubes are redundant 8mm dia propshaft outers and are drilled through the model BELOW the lower hull, but through 3/4" of timber sides hanging below the flat bottom.
These bars are removable for transport and for playing down the lake on a sunday. Only one has been fashioned so far.

The Destroyers have an aproximate beam of 5 1/2" and will have a pin protruding below their hulls at the centreline. The 'vee' in the rod has been placed at 3 1/2" from the hull side to 'stand off' the destroyers slightly from Ohios sides, allowing them a little manouvering ability and to protect their much nicer detail work from damage....Thats the plan anyway %%
Anyway, see some of you at Midhurst :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »

Todays jobs, add a bit more plating detail to the bow. This time I filled up against one side of tape only, above and below the existing plate line.

I am looking forward to the painting and weathering process with this plating detail to work on, not yet though 8)

Next a bit of detail to the bow bulwarks.

A bit of flattened tube and a hole to fit...
The next job entailed fitting 'through routes' for the cables that will serve the underwater pyrotechnic effects. These have to run from under the hull to 'on deck' terminals.

And with that lot fitted, today was finished off with the first coat of cellulose dope, thinned 2 parts thinner and 1 part dope.

ben hall

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:17 pm »

COMING ALONG WELL  :-)) :-))

DO YOU WANT TO LET ME LOSE IN THE WEATHRING ON HER? {-) %% %% %% %%

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:46 pm »

After a short hiatus ( I could have shown 2 weeks of cellulose dope drying, but even I sometimes know when to draw the line!! ) we are back with some new photos of the build.

First off, a waterline marker, home made, cheers Jim :-)) Consisting of ball races for wheels, vertical bar in aluminum and a hardwood block drilled to take the vertical bar and horizontal pencil.

The next three images are meself and John painting the bottom and deck of the model with red oxide primer, this particular one is from the car accessory guys at Halfords. It dries quickly and is pretty tough when on the model.

The next image is a close bow shot and shows the plating detail to fairly good effect, its a pity that, so far, only a small part of this effect has been painted, just visible in the red paint.

Final image of the night. With the decks red oxide and below the waterline the same, it was time to call it a night. Pay close attention to the first stages of the hull painting because I will be incorporating a 'weathering' effect into this stage that is both simple to do and looks effective. No clues yet though...
Next job will be the plumbing for the ballast pumps, as the plan is to tank test the model on the 27th March %% %%

Yarpie

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »

Good to see and hear from this project once again. :-))

Is it just a coincidence that when you float test her, there will be a 19th century full size beam engine pumping station operational and on hand just in case ........................................................................  O0

Look forward to learning some weathering techniques in the future. ok2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.