Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.  (Read 523080 times)

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: SS Ohio tanker build, Pedestal convoy.
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

I dont have that book, however, I believe the fit of weapons is as follows;
3" gun on a raised platform offset to port on the focsle.
Two single 20mm Oerlikons port and starboard on the fwd upper bridge wings.
A single 40mm Bofors gun (probably an early land based mount) aft of the funnel in a high box shaped mounting.
Two single 20mm Oerlikons mounted port and starboard just forward and below the Bofors gun.
A single 5" low angle mount at the stern, on a large circular mount.
There are listed two more 20mm Oerlikons mounted somewhere on the ship, other models show a single gun mounted on the upper bridge deck starboard aft, however none of the photographs support this. We have spoken to an ex-crewmember, now a fellow mayhemmer, who remembers them being mounted directly to the deck, port and starboard, at the foreward part of the aft boat deck. All the images so far seen are jumbled in this area and difficult to make out, however, that is where I am anticipating mounting the last pair of guns.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2011, 05:38:42 pm »

All hands to the pumps!!
Tonight we were working on the aft superstructure sides, 1/8" ply epoxied on....

Flash Trays for the various pyrotechnic effects. These were mocked up in card and will be passed on to our local metalworker/welder who is up for the job and a fellow pyromaniac to boot!

And the first of the bridge wing bulwarks, epoxied and superglued into position. This is the point that inconsistencies are showing up in the positioning of decks (my fault) resulting in someone (me) having to chop off a part to reposition next time <:(

So at the end of a productive night, its getting closer to the water, just a bit :-))

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »

Another night of activity resulted in a lot of mess. I was on filler duty. The aft superstructure had already been clad in 1/8" ply, however not at the 'corners'. Too tight for the ply. Eay fix, filler. I hate filler, this particular brand goes off with a slight tackiness to it. However, as long as you are cautious sanding down ( I use coarse grade Permagrit tools) and dont apply too much pressure, the material cuts down fine without clogging the tool.

Meanwhile, next door the bridge wings were being worked on, this has to be a 'measure, cut and stick' process for each part, as small inaccuracies are creeping in to the build and the parts are becoming more bespoke as the build progresses!

There goes my Cyano again ;)

The two blocks on top of the bridge are not part of the ship, they will be used as formers for the gun tubs on the bridge wings. These are going to be laminated from two layers of thin cardboard, glued and doped. Its a pyro boat, why not build it out of cardboard? :}

ben hall

« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2011, 08:02:44 pm »

alan did you get the gun i left it on ohio

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »

alan did you get the gun i left it on ohio

Gun received, thank you very much,
Alan..

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

Last night was bridge work.... we need a funnel , so I took on that task. Mostly built out of 5mm balsa sheet. The first horizontal part was out of boxwood, all other balsa frames were measured off of this first part and glued in situ, ensuring everything was square as I worked up the funnel. The funnel cap is 5mm ply with a 1.5mm ply addition underneath this part where I screwed up and didn't make it wide enough for the job!!

Jims smoke unit, sitting comfortably above the splash proof hatch.

Dereks very effective ships boats awaiting securing to the model.

The funnel will be clad with thin timber, either plywood strips or spruce strips, depending on what I have to hand. I may have to sleeve the funnel internally to avoid any heat damage from the smoke unit.
Helen and Mark have been working on the bridge bulwarks etc. Yesterday mark was busy working on some sort of Flash Gordon hat that he purchased at Alfold on sunday, leaving Helen to continue with the bridge work.

Standing back, its starting to look very 'tanker' like. A good nights work..

Sorry, it wasn't a Flash Gordon helmet, it was a Springer Tug. Easy mistake :} :}

bat44

« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2011, 07:38:24 pm »

<*< <*< <*< <*< <*< ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :P

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2011, 05:15:48 pm »

Funnel....this has been clad with obeche strip of varying thicknesses, sanded and filled. The funnel cap is layers of ply and the little platform to the front of the funnel is 0.8mm ply.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2011, 05:21:27 pm »

Gun Tubs.... These are assembled using 3mm ply for the bases, and a combination of 1.5mm and 0.8mm ply for the armoured sides. The thinner ply where needed as it bends easily. The supports under the Bofors mount (the square one) came from the club broom. Hopefully nobody will notice that it is 2" shorter than it was last week :}

We are still arguing about the final placement of the aft 20mm gun tubs, reference is painfully thin on the subject and it may be time for an 'executive best guess'.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2011, 05:25:13 pm »

Bridge detail... coming along nicely. Most of the difficult work is hiding the inaccuracies we built in over 2 months ago... they are starting to show up when the bulwarks are being attached. A supreme effort is taking place to hide these  %% {:-{ >>:-( <*< ups.

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2011, 05:32:30 pm »

And finally...the stand back and see how its coming on shots....she is starting to look every inch a beast of a tanker.

And finally a shot of the real ship, photographed, I believe, from the deck of HMS Penn. This is the latest image we have found, still difficult to define detail for the model build, however, dont forget the circumstances under which this and other photographs were taken, modellers requirements seventy years later were not really the issue on the day.

farrow

« Reply #236 on: June 17, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

Allen,
Have you seen the movie clip of her entering Malta, I have seen it on the net and it is included in a couple of old B/W movies.
David

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2011, 09:26:29 am »

Allen,
Have you seen the movie clip of her entering Malta, I have seen it on the net and it is included in a couple of old B/W movies.
David

Hi, yes I caught it last sunday on Yesterday.( I think that makes sense?). It is a short but useful clip, that I have been watching repeatedly. It helps that we have a copy of the 'as built' plans of Ohio, as it helps when identifying blobs in photographs!
The build is progressing, however our plans to have her ready for this years Weymouth show in July have gone for a burton, at the moment we are hoping to be on the water locally at our Canoe Lake display in August, even then, that is pushing it....

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »

Tubs, Tubs, Tubs......20mm gun tubs to be precise. Two aft and two on the bridge wings. All four are fitted with an M4 stainless bolt through their bases for securing the ( as yet unbuilt ) 20mm Oerlikons down.

Coming together nicely, however the closer to finished it appears to be, the more jobs come out of the woodwork for finishing. Will it ever get wet, can I afford to loose the 5p bet?    I have got used to it  ok2

farrow

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2011, 10:04:50 pm »

Well let us know when she does her maiden voyage on canoe lake, so that I can pop over and see her.
All the best, it has been a very interesting thread to date.
David

Pat Matthews

• Full Mayhemer
  • Get your boats wet!
    • Matthews Model Marine
« Reply #240 on: June 25, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »

FYI, here are some photos of what appears to be THE builder's model for the Ohio, temporarily removed from under her glass...some good views of the deck piping:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143851

For example:

Pat Matthews
Get Your Boats Wet!
Matthews Model Marine

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2011, 12:54:14 pm »

Cheers Pat, Trimphjon has already put me on to this site, excellent reference which has already highlighted a couple of variations that we missed using builders plans and old photographs only. I have to balance the amount of scale detail that can be added within the restrictions imposed on us regarding the pyrotechnic effects. Fireproof plumbing is what we are currently examining!

triumphjon

« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2011, 08:11:02 am »

hows the progress on this build , its gone rather quiet since the start of the "summer "  !

ben hall

« Reply #243 on: August 17, 2011, 04:17:34 pm »

i think the attention has been put to displays and the new mould the club are making not forgetting ubns own projects

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »

Ohio is hibernating. Suns shining ( somewhere!), displays to organise, sailing ship molds to finish, Nautilus to design, that sort of thing. I finished the CHANT, that must earn me some brownie points,surely?

ben hall

« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2011, 07:51:12 pm »

Ohio is hibernating. Suns shining ( somewhere!), displays to organise, sailing ship molds to finish, Nautilus to design, that sort of thing. I finished the CHANT, that must earn me some brownie points,surely?
:-)) ok2

triumphjon

« Reply #246 on: August 19, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

hibernating or just in DRY DOCK ?

ben hall

« Reply #247 on: August 19, 2011, 08:34:54 pm »

hibernating or just in DRY DOCK ?
hibernating sounds cooler so we will just stay with that 8)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »

Welcome from the Portsmouth Yard, dormant for a few months now as other projects have taken precedence. However, the build is back on!
The first problem encountered this week was this, I am building a Pyrotechnic Effects model, not a scale one! Sounds obvious, but I keep forgetting. Monday was the fitting of the walkway (highway?) from the main blocks of superstructure aft to midships, over the tank deck. This has been detailed in a fantastic build/re-build thread elsewhere on the forum, featuring an RFA Tanker, and whose authors name I cannot remember! However, this aint no scale model, and that sort of super detailing will just get blown to little tiny bits the first time I over stuff one of the charges! In the interest of survivability I have instead opted for...

Only the best quality Aluminium 'U' section cut and screwed and bolted to fit. It is held down with a combination of stainless self tappers and M5 stainless bolts into captive nuts. Todays advice... do NOT fit your captive nuts in place with cyanoacrylate as a) it isnt strong enough for the job, and b) when it drops out of the bottom of the deck it IS strong enough to bond itself to the stainless bolts. The whole assembly now rattling up and down through a hole in the deck. I have invented a whole load of new swear words if anyone wants to borrow them for a special occasion, just drop me a line :}
Usually, tankers are adorned with large 'NO SMOKING' signs, this one will have 'TRIP HAZARD' at the end of the walkway, due, mostly to all the screw and bolt heads sticking up!
Next was davits, ten in total. These are being made from a material called 'Foamalux' which is used by sign writers. I imagine it is a cheaper alternative to acrylic, as the surface finish is not as good. One advantage is that it is mildly flexible, which is good news for davits. these seem to spend much time being knocked, bent and dented during transport. I have already built a bigger set for the CHANT tanker, posted elsewhere on the forum, and these have proved tough over the summer season. So now was time to scale down.

These are 'in build' at present, cutting two at a time from two sheets of material taped together ensures they are paired and matched visually.

So thats it so far....

triumphjon

« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:56 pm »

nice to see youve sorted the strike in your dry dock !
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.