Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Tanks  (Read 116546 times)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RC Tanks
« Reply #275 on: May 29, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »

I posted this earlier on the General Forum,and although I have had a few replies,I thought maybe I should have posted on this page to start with..........

Hi guys,[/size]I am looking for some kind of mechanism to go in the end of my battleship gun barrels. They would be the same type as what the model Tank boys have.Hopefully this will include as the high powered red bulb that gives off a flash as well as perhaps a sound system,but I suspect that this would not be suitable,because as well as the big bang for the 15inch guns,they also have a machine gun sound also.I am not capable of making my own so would be looking at the complete flash unit.I dont really know what to search for on a certain auction site.Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction please? [/size]As usual,many thanks,Mick F

discovery man

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:33 am »

mine has the ultra bright red led..also ultra bright machine gun led....I got mine form maplin electronics as a terminal on the led broke off...but you can buy them off ebay...as for gun 88mm main gun sound,turret,gun movement and firing comes from a box either mf-01 box or the dmd box ..I know these will work in or out of the tank....as some times I place it out doors..under a sheet on Halloween and scare the trick or treat kids lol..so I know it will fit in any thing..as I fitted it into a tug for a laugh...their was a guy on ebay that I bought all my parts off he lived in wales...he had every thing for model tanks..but my tank is a Tamiya tiger tank mk1 I hope I can help you...........

discovery man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2014, 12:37:55 am »

my turret is moved by a electric motor and tooth ring was only a few pounds complete ready to fit...but my main 88mm gun is steel after market heavy lol..........

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2014, 09:56:39 am »

Hi Rottweiler,  You don't mention the scale of your battle ship, I say this because the flash unit in Tamiya tanks is a fairly bulky cable and the flash unit on the end is about 15mm x 5mm so your barrel would need to be around 6mm dia. plus the speaker is quite large, depending on which tank model but around 120mm x 80mm x 50mm. and also the multi function units are not that small, and although the flash and sound of main gun and machine gun are very good you also have the other sounds, IE. turret turn, gun elevation and depression and of course the engine which differs according to the tank type, not sure it would sound right for a battle ship to have a Detroit Continental radial engine, whether you could mute the engine sound I couldn't say, just thought you might like an idea of sizes :-))  Joe

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2014, 11:01:15 am »

Hi Joe,
Thanks for your reply

my battleship is actually 1/96th scale and is 6 foot 6 inch long, and the gun barrels would indeed take that size fitting. I am not short of space that is for sure.So from what you have said,I assume that the various sounds within the sound unit cannot be easily isolated, to only play what  is needed? I could make use of the turret movements and elevations,but would as you say have no use for the engine sound or the machine gun.Thats a pity, because I thought maybe this would be the way to go.Ah well back to the drawing board.I can use servos and available stuff to turn the turret, it is just this intense flash I really wanted.I think I may be looking at using the flash unit from a disposable camera,if I can get hold of a couple.
Thanks again,
Mick F

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2014, 11:14:40 am »

Hi Mick , I'm not saying you can't mute the sound there may well be a way to do it. may be by just cutting a couple of wires, but they are fairly expensive units to experiment with, but I can confirm the gun flash and sound is very realistic and very loud with volume turned up  O0 >Joe

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: May 30, 2014, 11:32:25 am »

Hi Mick,

Admiralty electronics do a gun flash unit (AE9186) and 16 inch gun salvo (AE9081) that can be used together. They are available here:

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Admiralty-Electronic-Accessories.html

Regards,

Roger.
Roger

discovery man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2014, 12:33:24 pm »

looking at my mf-01 and dmd control unit..its just plug and play..i can remove say machine gun..or main gun you have a choice....but like i mentioned..most of my parts was..what i call cheap off the bay..and the units  dont have to be in the tank..as tamiya made that option...full sound or not....tanks that are made in china..no offence..its built in..and unrepairable if they go wrong but if you could get one..say off the bay...motors not working ect but the sound works..it may be able to solve your problem..like cut up the tank?and build your own sound box?im not very helpful on tanks from china..as iv never owned one...................

discovery man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: May 30, 2014, 12:36:45 pm »

i must mention tho the sound box can be turned up lol very loud..my wife goes on one lol...when i go on patrol with it lol....

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: May 30, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »

Hi Mick, on close inspection the flash unit is a cable with a capacitor about half way in a shrink sleeve and probably an ultra bright led on the end in an orange shrink sleeve, the other end has a plug with four wires, now I am no electronic wizard but it would seem to me that two of these wires charge the capacitor and the other two by means of a momentary switch, trigger the capacitor to discharge to the led. these units are sold as a spare part, it may be worth experimenting with one, just a thought,   ok2  Joe.

discovery man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: May 30, 2014, 02:59:18 pm »

i was once at the local purpose built boating lake/pond..when a guy came on to water with huge battle ship...on the side of the pond/lake was a cafe....people was eating/drinking out side.it was a nice hot sunny day..getting back to battle ship..it was about half way in the pond.when explosions came from the boat..the guy used black power in his guns..the park wardens/workers told him to get the boat out and not to bring it again....but the guy with the battle ship..said theirs no restictions  in what boats go on the water only petrol boats was banned as kids also go on the water with paddle boats..but it was a school day and their was no paddle boats in use.............but they did make him take the boat home...............

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: May 30, 2014, 03:10:11 pm »

No surprise there, you need a licence for black powder and a pyrotechnics licence to use it in public displays  :police:

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42:28 pm »

Hi Mick,

Admiralty electronics do a gun flash unit (AE9186) and 16 inch gun salvo (AE9081) that can be used together. They are available here:

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Admiralty-Electronic-Accessories.html

Regards,

Roger.

This looks like the best option for your needs. however, I dont think the flash is synchronised with the sound and that is the problem. Without using a Tamiya tank system, I have yet to find a suitable 'Big Gun' light and sound effect unit. I am pursuing AA gun effects, but these will lack the co-ordinated flash and bang effect, but will simulate multiple AA guns firing at once with a single gunfire sound effect backing it up. My excuse, the model is a scale 1/4 mile away and you would expect a lag between flash and bang...good excuse?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: October 21, 2014, 05:49:56 pm »

About time I put a tank up in the RC Tanks section...my latest addition to the 'fleet'. A WWII German Sturmtiger, not a pretty tank by any standards. I obtained it from the Treasurer of Portsmouth and District Model Powerboat Club ( yup, thats why he is never at events, building tanks!! :-)) ).
Received nicely primered in a three tone camouflage, which I then painted over...

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2014, 05:54:59 pm »

Then I took it to the Model Show at Bovingdon in Dorset a couple of weeks ago. The Display Team were attending with ONE boat...and lots of Tanks!

Pyrotechnics going in it later..single shot, lots of flash and smoke only. As its land based I will be excercising even more caution in the installation than I would in a boat..publics a lot closer.

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: October 22, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

Here's a few pics of my 1/12th scale Cromwell Mk.4 build.
All my senior moments seem joined together these days.

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: October 22, 2014, 07:49:42 pm »

The last few pics of Cromwell build.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: February 06, 2015, 05:29:02 pm »

Are there any shows, shops etc. that cater for this side of the hobby, I am thinking of a small tank but would like to see them before parting with cash? I live in Yorkshire. Thanks.
Nige
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

Geoff C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: February 06, 2015, 07:34:15 pm »

Hi a3nige,    Sorry, I'm not sure, but look on google for R/C Tanks and Heng Long Tanks.      I made mine from scratch from 3mm plywood and Heng Long motors and gearboxes.       regards.      Geoff C.

a3nige

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: February 06, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »

Thanks Geoff  :-))
"You're a hard person to ignore, but well worth the effort !"

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: July 15, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »

Hi all. I have just purchased a Heng long Sherman, for my grandson, honest :-) I have tried to apply the decals, but with out any luck, they will not leave the sheet. I followed the instructions to the letter, but still no joy. Any ideas any one. Cheers all. Phil

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:16 pm »

Well going over the obvious is the only thing I can suggest. They are like letraset or vinyl transfers from BECC. Remove the backing or low tack film from behind the transfer. Place in position and rub down vigorously with a wooden implement..lolly stick, bit of balsa stick etc. Leave for at least fifteen minutes before attempting to remove the shiny upper carrier film, peeling back against the transfer to reduce tearing load on the decal.
If the above doesnt work, you may have a problem :}

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2015, 07:56:52 pm »

Thanks for that unbuiltnautilus. That makes sense :-)) I haven't tried it yet, had a tough day at work today. I will give it a try tomorrow. Thank you once again for the help. Cheers.
Phil
ps what has become of the salt water Darnell build?

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: July 17, 2015, 01:31:27 pm »

Hey guys, just seen this thread. Tanks are my first rc love, I've got around 20 at the moment in various states.

Heavily modified Tamiya sherman m51:

Taigen Panther commission:

Henglong based Panther updated to a Panther F

My tigers, initial Tunisian tiger "Norbert", late tiger, sturm tiger:

Tamiya leopard 2:

Early tiger

Tamiya Jagdpanther

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #299 on: July 17, 2015, 04:54:51 pm »

Hi all. I have a hl tiger 1. But 8 also have a tamiya leopard 1a4. The leopard is off the road at the moment as I cannot source the little 2 hole clips that go on the outside of the tracks. I need about 40 at present.   Any ideas before I get a new set of tracks? ?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.