Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boat Battery Packs  (Read 2142 times)

soldier151

Boat Battery Packs
« on: December 13, 2010, 01:22:32 am »

Hi Guys.
This has probably been raised before but I couldn.t find anything relating to it.  I use buggy packs of 6 cells upto 2700mah to run my Shamrock Police Boat.  I recharge these after each sailing session using a Schultze charger and external power (12v) power source, actually a Car Booster Unit (bought from Aldi)
Recently noticed that the digital readout has shown that the battery packs are only charging to say 2400 mah.  My question is "What is the best way to store NICAD packs, charged or uncharged.  If they should be stored UNCHARGED how do I achieve this, do I stick them on a motor and run it until it is FLAT or do I recharge them and store FULLY CHARGED?  Hope you can help as I'm sick of sticking a buggy pack into the boat and finding that it only runs for a few moments.
Soldier151 %) :((

triumphjon

Re: Boat Battery Packs
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:57:10 pm »

i normally charge mine in the morning before i go to the lake , charging them on my pro peak charger on a fast cycle !

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:37:40 am »

As i understand it you should always store a battery full charged, and before use say the night before stick it on charge again to restore any loss that may have occurred.

Although using 'buggy packs' an 'ok' battery to use in any model, but if your after run time, have you considered swapping to a 6v LA? you do find that these will still give out the required boat speed but also extended run time (around the hour mark or better all day in some cases)

Depending on your boat size will depend entirely on the size of the 6v battery required but possibly look for 6v 2 or 4ah batteries, a fair size not much bigger then a buggy pack generally but would give you around the hour mark on run time pending on your boats electrical setup.

I appreciate that cost may be an issue if your keen to stick with 'what you have' but i assure you that 6v battery's 'can' be vastly cheaper then a buggy pack's (depending on the 'branding') and charger around £5 mark.

There weight can be more then a buggy pack depending on the AH size but generally there around the 500g mark for the size that would do you well.
The advantages of LA is not only the extended run time that can be obtained but they also have a very slow discharge rate.

The choice is yours hope this may help in some way.

BigA

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:09:25 am »

NiCd packs? Most commercial packs are NiMH now - both types have different discharge rates under storage and there's a lot of conflicting data out there on the best way to store them.

NiCd's have a memory effect and the chargeable (maximum) capacity may decrease with time depending on how they are used/cycled. NiMH's have no memory effect - best to use them if possible.
 :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.