Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: FSB tenby  (Read 15421 times)

Ben Tickle

FSB tenby
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:58:10 pm »

Hi,

I have recently been bought a FSB tenby made by model slipway. Oobviously, i need to glue the internals into the boat. Do i do this before or after i have painted/ cut the windows out?

Thanks

Ben :P

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FSB tenby
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:19:28 pm »

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 11:19:56 pm »

I would advise to cut all parts and glue parts in place before painting best you can, reasons are simple.

1. You can correct errors or mistakes easier before paint using p38 (body filler) or other fillers/resins that may be appropriate.

2. Gluing parts to a painted surface will only come off in time and in the process will most likely take a lot of the paint with it, making it a lot of work to patch up the damage both a waste of time and effort for something that can be avoided.

This only apply's so far in regards to painting parts before gluing in place, a lot of items sometimes require the paint to be applied first maybe for a number of reasons, but most, as its easier to paint off the model then on especially since the parts could be very small.
In these situations i would recommend painting all areas you can but the glue surface leave as bare as possible rough it up a bit with some wet and dry to give a better glue surface, then touch up with a small brush or similar (mask up spray etc) once its glued in place.

Ben Tickle

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:29 am »

Hi,

How tighter fit should the hull and the upper deck be? Only my upper deck appears to be a couple of mm short. You can get it to fit together if you force it together but im not sure if this is right.

Thanks

Ben

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »

If you have a photo of your issue that will help resolve the problem better, im not sure if the deck is cut to small or if there is supposed to be a gap around the edges, prehaps for inner bulwarks facing? Or if you have fitted deck support frame?

post a pic and im sure we can resolve the problem  :-))

Ben Tickle

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:16 pm »

Hi

Here are a few pics!

Thanks

Ben   :D

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 12:59:40 pm »

Thats quite a gap  {:-{

But its pretty simple to resolve i think going by the photo's.

Do it all as a dry fit to start with, if you can make it fit dry u can do it again with glue.

Put the deck on from the stern (rear of the boat at transom) hooking on with some tape to make sure it does not pull off, now gently pull the deck to the bow,(front of the boat) if the kits made well it should be a tight fit but will slide together. (the boat will flex better to the bow so that few mm gap will be countered by the inward force of the hull being squeezed from stern to bow, and the hull walls will push out this will not only fill that gap but also make the boat a tad wider once the decks in place.)

Now if that all goes well remove and apply the right glue for the job (I tend to use a resin,30 min araldite for deck joining regardless of material GPR,Stiro etc, as this has a enough work time but yet drys quickly) then put the deck back on in the same way you dry fitted it, clamp it together with lots of rubber bands until the glue sets.

If it still does not fit, don't glue it!!, as there may be a problem with the moulding which you may need to address with manufacturer. there are other methods using fillers etc, to fill gaps but i think in this case its not needed as the moulding should be pretty accurate or what was the point of making a kit that dose not fit together correctly....

Model_Slipway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 01:24:04 pm »

Hello Ben

Re telecon this morning. You said you can fit the deck but it's a tight fit. Because the hull is tapered towards the top i.e. bigger, by removing some material from the top edge you will effectively make the hull smaller thus enabling it to fit into the deck.

Regards
Jackie

Ben Tickle

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »

Thanks everyone. I did try to send you those same pictures jackie but my email wouldnt let me, dont know why?

So i put them on here!

Thanks

Ben

Ben Tickle

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »

Hi,

I have just done some work on my boat. now the hull fits the deck. It is still a tight fit but it does just slot together.

Thanks for all of your help

Ben %%

Ben Tickle

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:18 pm »

Hi,

Just another quick question, i was wondering how i get grease in the prop shaft as the prop does not come off?

Thanks

Ben :-))

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:04 pm »

Prop should come off the stainless shaft, undo the nut behind the prop then the prop will unscrew, but leave it be as you can fill the shaft tube with grease/ Vaseline/ oil or what ever lubrication your using another way.

undo the nut at the motor end and slip the shaft out (that the bit with the prop on), get a syringe filled with your lubricant and from the outside (where the prop was) put the syringe tip to the shaft tube and squeeze a small amount up the shaft.

Then put your finger over the hole of the shaft tube inside the boat and slip the prop and shaft back up the tube, your fingers gonna stop all the grease from pouring out of the shaft into the boat, once all done clean up the threads and put the nut back on and give it a few turns to bed in the grease.

Job done  :-))

LarryW

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »

hi heres my build fsb tenby , as a beginner model it went well, but rear hand rail was tricky i would use brasstube soldered on my next build,
also put a bit of flotation in upper deck house , i did not ,after this pic was taken i was hit by a fun boater and deck house went to bottom to Davey Jones ,
 i am in  middle of building a new replacement of card and balsa will post pics of build when the weather gets better .
good luck with build , i am sure you get lots of help from the the top modelers on mayhem :-)) cheers Larry

Ben Tickle

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:31 pm »

Hi Road runner

My prop shaft has just the prop on. Does the tube come off the other end?

Thanks

Ben

LarryW

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 03:10:41 pm »

hi Ben are you using prop  shaft and  motor connector that came with the kit? Larry w.

Roadrunner

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »

Im not sure what your shaft looks like, i would have assumed it was an m2 or m4 shaft given the size of the boat, I've looked at 'MS' kit content photo, still not able to fully indent the shaft but it looks like an m2, with a flexi tube on the end as the motor coupling.

If this is the case just pull off the flexi tube coupling and remove the shaft, then fill shaft tube with lube as previously stated, then push the rubber flexi tube coupling back on after the shafts fitted.

That's the best i can advise you on as i have not built the kit, nor used shafts smaller then m4.

Ben Tickle

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:39 pm »

Yes Larry,
javascript:void(0); 8)
Im using the prop shaft which comes with the kit

Thanks

Ben

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 03:56:25 pm »

hi Ben  i change my shaft and motor to a m4 threaded both end and fitted a 30 mm 3 blade prop i fitted kit stuff but it gave me trouble , a club member helped me , it now runs with no problems
  hope this helps.  Larry.

Ben Tickle

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »

Hi Larry,

Should i do this now while im still building my boat??? If so how do i get the original prop shaft out? and where do i get a replacement m4 shaft from?

Ben :embarrassed:

LarryW

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »

hi Ben when ready do changes , i get all needs at SHG MARINE, AT WWW.SHGMODELSUPPLIES.COM they have down load catalog , and they no there stuff ,
 and help full on the phone, but don't to give your local model shop a try . theres few pics to look at about i hope this helps :-))Larry

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »

Hello Ben

Re telecon this morning. You said you can fit the deck but it's a tight fit. Because the hull is tapered towards the top i.e. bigger, by removing some material from the top edge you will effectively make the hull smaller thus enabling it to fit into the deck.
Regards
Jackie

This is how I fitted mine, had a gap too. Remember the fendering will help disguise the join too. Dave.  :-))

LarryW

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »

nice build NO 6 is it standard build or have mods been made ,  ;) Larry w .

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »

Thanks for the compliment. She's got twin brass props, twin rudders like the real thing. I've tried to make her look close to a Tamar but didn't go too over the top with detail to keep the weight down. I ordered the extra running gear from SHG Marine. I run her off a 7.2v 4500 mAh battery, single Marine 15 esc. All the markings are from Barrys Model Lettering. She performs well and has good run time if kept at a scale speed. Cheers, Dave.  :-))

Ben Tickle

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »

Im just wondering how i would remove my standard prop shaft which comes with the boat. Larry, am i ok mentioning your name so that i can get the right prop shaft?
Thanks

Ben :embarrassed:

LarryW

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 08:09:07 pm »

hi Ben  no problem , just what boat its for its pretty well known ,they will do the rest. .LARRY
 IF SHAFT IS INSTALLED ,just ease round entry point with sharp knife  and replace with new shaft fix with epoxy and fill  car      body  filler and sand off with wet and dry .
 to finish . job done. :-))
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.