Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mast Navigation lights  (Read 20000 times)

ruffair

Re: Mast Navigation lights
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 09:52:10 am »

Thanks for the replies guys.  Thats three whites then.  I think I'll change the name of the tug to Ocean Road.

Ron

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 02:04:53 pm »

hi all, so, what colour is the anchor light? is the mast headlight still all white?  because .... ive included a copy of part of the plans for the Seaforth.   I do appreciate that the lights could be labelled wrong on the plans.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 02:40:30 pm »

John, Anchor lights are all round whites in the forward part of the ship.

The folowing pics show the various nav light regulations. You may have to save them and enlarge to read the text otherwise PM me and I will send you the originals.

Colin

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »

Hi there Bluebird, re the plan you posted. It shows a Decca Navigator, should this not be a Decca Radar aerial? My memory of the Navigator system was that it used a passive aerial system (an early form of GPS based on the reception of pulsed signals from three base stations).

Of course this may account for the number of M.N. types who have managed to steam up Ocean Road..... ::)
Tongue very firmly in cheek (of course) but with strong recollections of the Trinity House ship Patricia going onto the putty at Shields in fog back in the late sixties.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 04:00:29 pm »

Sweeper's right - it's a radar not a Decca navigator - wrong label on the plan!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:26 pm »

hI THERE all,

yea, Colin, I tried to enlarge what you put on the forum so I could have a good look at the navigation and I couldnt manage.  But, fear not, I havefound a book with them all in.

What I cant understand is, on the drawing, on the main mast between the funnels - its got two towing lights and a mast headlight.  In the book I have, it states - as you state - that when a vessel is showing two mast headlights  one above the other the tow is under 200 m.   Three on the same mast and the tow exceeds 200 m.  So, therefore the plans should show 4 lights on the main mast, 3 for towing plus the main mast light.   I did not think the 3rd towing light should be on a separate mast ahead of the main mast, although I could be wrong.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

P.S. The radar isnt the only thing that is wrong on the plan, there are several other errors in the plans that I have come across - and what I may do (when I have fished (out the bottom of the lake) or even finished the model) is list them for anyone wishing to build from this plan.   Even though it has faults, its still a nice build.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2007, 07:55:51 pm »

John,

I don't know for certain but my guess is that when towing one of the masthead lights doubles as the steaming light. Seems logical:

1 light no tow normal navigation light
2 lights short tow
3 lights long tow - steer well clear!

(the tow will carry its own lights as well)

I think I'll stick to shallow water in my 1:1 scale boat! ;D

slewis

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2007, 09:50:54 pm »

Colin if you can email me the pictures (full size )it would be helpful to a friend of mine and I will put up a link on this thread so that others can download them for themselves as they look like a really usefull set of pics  :)

Shane

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 10:03:07 pm »

Shane,

Sent as requested. I suggest you edit your post to remove the email link.

Colin

slewis

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 10:12:29 pm »

link removed Colin and thank you for the pics
Here is the first
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/imagedktr/Navlights2.jpg

And secondly
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w72/imagedktr/Navlights1.jpg

hope this helps

Shane

slewis

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2007, 10:36:02 pm »

Thats better  :) :)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:03 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 08:39:57 am »

Martin, it may be worth putting up these pics or the link on the main site. Info on correct nav light combinations is always in demand!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 08:57:55 am »

Good idea Colin, any problems with copyright?

Martin.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 12:14:49 pm »

re. mast lights on tugs (again). Sorry Colin Bishop but unless the "Rules" have changed really drastically in the past few years then Rule 3 still applies.I quote:-

a) A power-driven vessel when towing or pushing another vessel shall, in addition to her sidelights, carry two bright white lights in a vertical line one over the other, not less than 6 feet apart, and when towing more than one vessel shall carry an additional bright white light 6 feet above or below such lights, if the length of the tow measuring, from the stern of the towing vessel to the stern of the last vessel towed exceeds 600 feet. Each of these lights shall be of the same construction and character and one of them shall be carried in the same position as the white light mentioned in Rule 2(a)(1), except the additional light, which shall be carried at a height of not less than 14 feet above the hull. In a vessel with a single mast, such lights may be carried on the mast.

The rule goes on a bit, but thats it as far as mast lights are concerned.  Bryan Young (Master Mariner)
Notes from a simple seaman

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2007, 02:37:15 pm »

but with strong recollections of the Trinity House ship Patricia going onto the putty at Shields in fog back in the late sixties

Hi ya Sweeper - I cant exactly remember the Trinity House vessel going aground but, I do remember a Ship that was in Smith's docks North Shields for about eighteen months to two year being converted into a test oil rig ship  - she was cut in half and a new centre section added with a drilling rig mounted in it with some 'putty'  ;D ;D leaving Smiths Docks on trials and going aground less than a quarter of a mile down river on the black midden rocks & she was resting on the rocks for 2-3 days with some red faces around.  ;D   She then went straight back to dry docks for repair.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 03:05:29 pm »

Bryan,

I was originally quoting from a "Rule of the Road " guide for pleasure craft published in 1996. It certainly did not go into the degree of detail you have given above so may have been simplified a bit for the benefit of yotties who are basically only interested in working out whether they are likely to hit something or not! (of course they may have got it wrong too!)

Thanks for the info which is certainly relevant to modellers in respect of siting the lights on the mast.

Colin

janjac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2007, 04:13:14 pm »

Hi all
With all these entries on nav. light , it could be funny to hear, if you really use all those lights ,when you sail in the dark hours !?
In the small village where I live, we are 5-8 who sail our boats  at the citypond, where we also have made a small harbour with lights, quite a pretty sight in the nice summer evenings, when you have to navigate only by lights.
Jan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2007, 04:28:56 pm »

We have been given permission to post the illustrations on the Mayhem site by Motor Boats Monthly which was nice of them. Hopefully people will find them a useful general reference.

Anyone wanting more precise detail for positioning of nav lights should follow up the official rules and regs quoted by Bryan in his earlier post.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2007, 05:26:13 pm »

Ref. reply 42. One of the clubs that I belong to has a small band of boaters, who tend to sail on Thursday afternoons. During the winter months, this means that by mid-afternoon, our boats would be invisible, so at least correct navigation lights are a necessity. As our lake is in the grounds of a public house, this attracts quite a few extra people down to the lake when the weather isn't TOO bad!

Danny

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2007, 07:47:19 pm »

Regarding navigation lights, My converted Sydney Star has a set of navigation lights, (pictured)

As various lights at various points mean different things, does this set up mean anything in particular? 

Normally the lights are reserved for moonlight regattas / venetian evenings
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Vladimir

• Shipmate
    • MUSEUM OF BALTIC SEA
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:31 pm »

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2007, 10:21:47 pm »

nice :)

this is Gemini, a Graupner Neptun lit up

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »

btw vlad what model is that? any pics of her on water??

farrow

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2007, 05:05:46 pm »

I have a seamanship manual of 1908 and towage lights then are as now , except of course for the extra orange stern light recently introduced. Also do not forget that for some years some tugs on a long unusual awkward tow would and especially inhibited by her tow would also exhibit the optional signal of "special operation".
David
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.