Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MODELBOATBITS WATER-JET CUTTING SERVICE  (Read 4733 times)

modelboatbits

MODELBOATBITS WATER-JET CUTTING SERVICE
« on: January 10, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »

MODELBOATBITS are now able to offer a profile cutting service at a very competative low cost
that is available to the individual model builder to trade volume customers
We are now supplying MOUNTFLEET MODELS all their ply deck kit profiles

Our facility can  cut most materials used on model boats,  If you are looking for precision cutting
or just to save time then we are pleased to offer this service at a price that is very affordable.

You can provide me your requirements in various formats: Drawing's, Templates of CAD Data ( DXF File format )

Being located in Telford, Shropshire we are centrally located for collection or we can ship by carrier

Please view photos below showing our facility.

Contact Steve for more details and enquiry's

Tel: 07921 032624
e-mail:  steve@modelboatbits.com :o :o   :-))

Lord Bungle

Re: MODELBOATBITS WATER-JET CUTTING SERVICE
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:21:49 AM »

as a ballpark figure what would this cost ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:58:41 AM »

Will the cuts be vertical, or can the software also work out and cut the frame/bulkhead to allow for fairing. If you can do fairing, that would be a major boon.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

carlmt

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »

Steve - your email address in the first post is missing the .com from the end.... :-))
Carl

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 12:08:07 PM »

Steve - your email address in the first post is missing the .com from the end.... :-))
Carl

Not now it isnt

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

Will the cuts be vertical, or can the software also work out and cut the frame/bulkhead to allow for fairing

The cutting head shown in the photo won't, but a programmable angling mechanism is available. Depends how much more you would want to pay for the privaledge compared to the cost of  a few sheets of Garnett paper?

Advantage over laser is that you don't get the luverly charred edge feature.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

modelboatbits

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

as a ballpark figure what would this cost ?

The cost is dependant on the size and complexity of the profiles to be cut.

The thinner and softer the material the quicker I can set the travel speed,  Have to slow it down for
thicker/harder material's:    Wood, Plastics, soft metal's to

I can give estimates if provided with sketches, templates or CAD data ( DXF File Format )
together with a few key dimension's and the material requiring cutting

So has anybody got anything to start with?    Oh it cannot cut angled edges

I supply mountfleet their deck kits marked with part numbers and lettering on easy
pop out tabbed sheet's :o 

modelboatbits

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »

Not now it isnt

Thank's for the dot com give ya some discount for that {-)

carlmt

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »

Hi Steve - thanks for your email reply a little earlier today....

I have some AutoCAD prepared drawings ready that will need your services - to produce in 1 and 1.5mm styrene sheet (the usual boat superstructure stuff!!)

How big is the bed on the machine? A3? A4? At what size would you produce the finished sheets ready for 'popping out'?

The final kit hull will be something just over 1.2m long, so the kit box would not want to be much longer.....and probably no wider than 300 - 400mm. So any final sheets would need to fit flat in the box (obviously!!).

DXF format at finished size be ok for you? If so I can get you an example set to you tomorrow morning for a price....

Tell you what - will give you a call tomorrow lunchtime just after 1pm if thats ok to discuss?
cheers
Carl

modelboatbits

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:50:15 PM »

A4 / A4       ' SAY WHAT'      HOW BOUT TRYING    3000MM x 1500mm  I dont mess about ya know

Well the machine is manufactured in the U.S.A.  it has got to be bigger :}

Your sheet sizes can be to suit the best yield for your material

The dxf file can be to size if not I will need to know the scale so I can expand to full scale

Call me anytime you wish tommorrow

Thank's   Steve 8)

Talisman

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:10:27 PM »

One problem with with water jet cutting styrene is that it leaves a rough edge.
Have you thought of Laser cutting your styrene?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »

Can you cut from just a plan , like the type supplied by Model Boat's  http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/group/29/model-boat-plans. some aircraft cutters will .

Thanks

Peter

modelboatbits

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:01:21 PM »

One problem with with water jet cutting styrene is that it leaves a rough edge.
Have you thought of Laser cutting your styrene?

I would provide test sample first to establish my customers satisfaction,  The finish on water-jet depends
on the cutting speed selected for desired finish required for the customer's project

We have 4 water jet cutting machines each costing 400,000 you don't acheive this investment with poor
quality Finish  I can assure you I am one of the country's leading sales director's on water-jet technology

My moto =  If it ain't right don't shout about it

modelboatbits

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:07:52 PM »

Can you cut from just a plan , like the type supplied by Model Boat's  http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/group/29/model-boat-plans. some aircraft cutters will .

Thanks

Peter

Hi, Peter

Yes I can create CAD Data from drawing plan's supplied, This is most welcome if it help's my customer's

Any uncertainty I can supply a thin card pre-cut set of profiles for customer's checking prior to cutting
final material profiles.   It's important to get it right for the customer, Recommendation's often get made
on this sensible approach

Talisman

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:35 PM »

My moto =  If it ain't right don't shout about it

As a supplier of water jet cut parts i would sugest you change your moto to - be honest!

Regards

modelboatbits

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »

Don't know why that last comment was placed  If you are unsure please ask question's I will answer ' HONESTLY '

My reputation mean's more to me than any un-justified comment's

Thank You

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 02:08:04 AM »

How thick can you cut wood?

For example, I build models of length  1m plus and the frames are cut from 6mm or 8mm ply. Can you cut this?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

Might be a bit outdated now, but last time I used the services of a local splash chopper, ANY material, including armour plate, up to 90mm (3 1/2") thick.

We don't seem to have a problem using abrasive papers after band sawing, so whats the  rub (Bad Pun) in using it on a MUCH finer waterjet cut item??

I might add that I have NO connection with the original poster but as an Owd Ingineer, first used the teknowleggy more than twenty years ago and am still impressed. At that time, to use lasers on Alluminium sheet resulted in a K******d laser and above 3mm Stainless, lasers were non starters for component cost effectiveness.

The "Golden Oldie" kits we raved about, in comparison were cut out with an axe.

Regards  Ian.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 05:49:31 PM »

I cannot understand all this rubbish in this post a chap who has been selling nice parts to model boaters decided to expand his business and offer a extra service that a lot of us may use or may want to use and he gets the third degree and all sorts of veiled allegations.use his service or don't but put people of offering a Good service to model boaters.

Peter

Talisman

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 06:16:18 PM »

Hi All,

I stand by what i have said - the simple truth is that Laser is better in many respects at cutting Styrene and water jet has advantages over laser in cutting wood.

This is why I offer both types of manufacturing options. Or why not combine the two technologies and get the best of both worlds?

If you were about to make an investment in a production kit wouldn't you prefer to be given the right info and not just a bias option?

My comments are in no way veiled and I'm happy to identify my company but would probably breach this forums rules.
Regards,
Kim

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »

Pity the "Choupette" builder recently asking about having to skin his hull hadn't been given the water jet cut option. The scortched zig zags wouldn't have been a problem. one thing not mentioned is that at a molecular level, there is no heat damage to the substrate using water cutting.

Regards  Ian.

Talisman

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »

Pity the "Choupette" builder recently asking about having to skin his hull hadn't been given the water jet cut option. The scortched zig zags wouldn't have been a problem. one thing not mentioned is that at a molecular level, there is no heat damage to the substrate using water cutting.

Regards  Ian.

You are right Ian there is many advantages and disadvantages to all the production methods and each will have to be a compromise.
One problem with the choupette kit being water jet cut would be the abrasive getting ingrained into the wood giving the wood an almost mildew appearance ... however we have developed a simple  soloution to that problem.

I will leave it at that .... dinner time.
Regards,
Kim

modelboatbits

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »

Due to the size of our pressure pump's we DO NOT have to use the aid of abrasive on our cutting of most material's
We do however have a conversion kit for one of the 4 machines to introduce abrasive if necessary ' Very Rare '

We use one particular machine for production of components that are destined for medical use and the importance
of clean product is a absolute essential part of the quality control

However let's get real on this we are talking model boat profiles that most modellers cut free hand or bandsaw plus a
slight bit of sanding,

All I have done is offered my services to the model boat builder from total novice to the most experienced craftsmen

Also for one off private builds to production volumes  All at a very reasonable cost that untill now has not been viable

I assure everyone I will work with my customer's to establish the expected result's of the service I am now offering

My aim is to please customers not annoy disgruntled competitor's

So to put a final end to this may I respectfully ask that should any providers of water-jet,  laser cutting or any other
method of cutting please let's have a bit of respect for each other and concentrate on offering our potential customer's
our services

I am sure that if our customer's see service provider's bickering in public then it suggest's to them we are not proffesional
and are not worthy of their valued business

I finish with assuring potential customers that most form's of modern cutting technology will give excellent result's

Now let us all get on with our modeling  let's all have a great year

Yours sincereley

Steve  O0

nhp651

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:33 PM »

Steve...a great response...............take care and i wish you well.

take care.
neil.

Talisman

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »

Hi Steve,
That is a much more informative posting to the original. I just didn't like your Moto when there are other processes that might be better suited.

I suspect water jet cutting will be more popular with model boat builders as it becomes more available and peoples understanding of its potential and ways to interact with the technology.

However, The process has been viable before now  (like i say best to be honest ;) ) and i believe we were one of the first in the Model Boating world to use and, advertise & make the process accessible to them at far less than Industry prices. But we have also make significant investment in other technologies to suit the variety of needs of our customers.

I wish you success.

Matter to bed?

Regards,
Kim

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up