Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 57   Go Down

Author Topic: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?  (Read 1288548 times)

rats

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Build the Bismarck - a "Hachett" job?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 12:38:52 pm »

Yes very funny tigertiger - didn't notice it - far too clever for me !!

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 11:03:06 am »

Any one with a pocket calculator would avoid these magazines what ever they offer.

Bismark  Magazines 140 magazines @ £4.99 = £698.60

Anyone who gets it has more money than sense

Harry potter chess set was the same you can go a buy one at a fifth the price

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 03:15:38 pm »

Any one with a pocket calculator would avoid these magazines what ever they offer.

Bismark  Magazines 140 magazines @ £4.99 = £698.60

Anyone who gets it has more money than sense

Harry potter chess set was the same you can go a buy one at a fifth the price

As I said earlier mate if you haven't got a large budget then this is the only way to go.It would take me a couple of years to save even half this amount, by which time inflation has pushed up kit prices anyway, so I will take this route. Its the same as the difference between paying cash or using a credit card, you always pay more for credit!! 8)   
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 06:17:08 pm »

the titanic kit they brought out a few yrs ago was about the same price,hellish expensive and half way though the the weekly bits, it went on sale in model shops and other mags at a price of £250.  if i really wanted to build this model ide wait till xmas when they will be throwing it on the shelves at a fraction of the cost,,,,,,,,,,,,, WOULD I HELL! IDE BUILD IT FROM SCRATCH who seroiusly can afford to purchase this kit and get the last few bits just as your retirement pension comes in the same post,,,NOT ME, ;D ;D

kendalboatsman

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 06:20:24 pm »

Hi there, I have a couple of questions
1) is the Bismarck going to be able to be radio controlled
2) somebody was saying the price was £350 for the Amati kit can you please tell me where did you found that out I looked and could not see a listing for the Amati kit not even there own website
3) I think the bismark on TV does look better than the aeronaut kit (with some allowances for a professional model builder)

I was just looking out of intrest, I went to buy issue 1 and as usual the local large newsagent was useless, how they are still in business is
beyond me so will have to go into the city to have a wee look

Colin

Hello Colin,

I bought the first issue today, it can be radio controlled. I also cannot finding a listing for the Amati kit. I might go the whole hog and buy the series as £5 a week isn't two big an issue. But £400 in one go is. And I detest credit cards so won't purchase one that way.

Clive

evo6tme

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 07:24:00 pm »

The kit is`NT for sale by Amati yet but if u look at the large fold out in issue 1  there are a couple of comment about them including there emblem . They probably have an agreement with hatchett part works not to sell it for a year or so, it will probably be about £500 then ? >:(

slewis

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2007, 09:31:39 pm »

Just been googling this one and if you look on German ebay they are selling up to issue 23 !
Holzbausatz Schlachtschiff Bismarck von Hachette,Ausgaben von 1 bis 23 Neu.Ein paar Ausgaben wurden nur zum Lesen geöfnet,die Holzteile sind alle unberührt geblieben.

Prrivatverkauf-ich übernehme keine Garantie,Umtausch oder Rückgabe nicht möglich.]Holzbausatz Schlachtschiff Bismarck von Hachette,Ausgaben von 1 bis 23 Neu.Ein paar Ausgaben wurden nur zum Lesen geöfnet,die Holzteile sind alle unberührt geblieben.

Prrivatverkauf-ich übernehme keine Garantie,Umtausch oder Rückgabe nicht möglich.

Translate it if you want to  ;)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 05:39:27 pm »

This should translate it.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

If you are interested.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 05:41:18 pm »

or even

Timber construction kit battle ship Bismarck von Hachette, Ausgaben from 1 to 23 Neu.Ein few expenditures only for reading, the felling trees hurry was geoefnet all remained unaffected. Prrivatverkauf prrivatverkauf-ich do not take over no warranty, conversion or return moeglich.]Holzbausatz battle ship Bismarck von Hachette, Ausgaben from 1 to 23 Neu.Ein few expenditures only for reading were geoefnet, the felling trees hurry all remained unaffected. Prrivatverkauf prrivatverkauf-ich do not take over no warranty, conversion or return possible.

Not the best translation!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2007, 05:40:57 pm »

This partwork business is a rip-off. Why spend nearly £700 over nearly three years before you (hopefully) get your model finished? Why not save up for a year and buy a kit?
£700 for the bits, then more to finish it, then motors, batteries, R/C gear, etc.
That's one expensive Bismarck!
It'll probably take longer to build than the real one did!
There have been comments that the quality of the laser-cutting is good. For that sort of money I'd want it gold-plated as well!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2007, 07:22:50 pm »

The real one took five years to build.
I have had a look on several forums which mention this kit. The consenus of opinion is yes its expensive but al ot of people are going for it. The two DKM Bismarck forums I read we all in favour of it.
If we all had the same view and tasts wouldn't life be boaring!

Daryl

kendalboatsman

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 07:56:10 pm »

I am going for it on the basis that I couldn't save that sort of money in a year, also the magazines are 4.99 a week which I believe is less than 20 cigarettes from a  newsagent. I don't smoke so £5 per week for my hobby seems fair enough to me and hopefully I should have a cracking model of the Bismarck at the end of my 140 weeks.

As for motors and radio gear, my loft is heaving with them as I had few years buying, restoring and trading/selling on Tamiya radio control cars and buggies so have spare receivers/servos lying around. I also have sufficient glues and paints to avoid too much further outlay.

I look forward in nearly three years time to seeing a sudden onrush of Bismarcks on pools around the country.  ;D

BridRacer

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 11:36:02 pm »

Hi all first off sorry if i repeat anything anyone has already said. I think the bismarck kit is great as a novice builder will very limited time on my hands i can send the wife off to the shop every week to buy my copy of of the mag and i can then decide when i want to build it over that week. I had to search nearly every newsagents in the town to find my copy they were sold out in the first day...

ttfn
Chris  8)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 11:43:30 pm »

That's an interesting point. If you miss a copy does that mean you end up with a shorter boat?

BridRacer

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 11:46:47 pm »

well I've now sent the subscription form off so i'll get it delivered every month you also get FREE stuff when you do that and free is always good  ;D

Chris 8)

evo6tme

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 12:36:52 am »

If u want to do it do it,money is irrelevant (2 pints a week?). I waste much more money each week?

This Post has been moved to Other Hobbies & Interests.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3116.0

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 10:10:41 am »

The thing about partworks is you can devote the time to put together the few pieces you get drip fed,come on admit it how many of us have uncompleted kits at least you can justify to your domestic supervisor an hour or two a week when the commitment to a full kit really does take some negotiating with your wife.with summer coming and lawns,gardens,barbeques,DIY projects shelved for winter and on and on the small bag of bits you get can have a bit of time put aside.I'm staggered by the price but more than tempted as i have a long hours job a high maintenance family but i love my boats!!!! 
badly raised and ill mannered.

Philipsparker

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 02:57:50 pm »

My Dad has signed up for this kit. The model in the pictures looks very impressive. The cost is high, but not unreasonable spread over time.

The main reason is the kits comes in stages. He's had a go at a few kits but finds being confroned with a huge number of bits in a single package a bit overwhelming. Hence being drip fed the bits a few at a time works better. He's always wanted fancies trying a battleship anyway.

The other reason is that the kit is in wood - which he prefers to GRP. I can't see it myself but each to his own.

Phil www.pagenumberone.co.uk

jinks8

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »

I have started to do the kit and it is a bit unkind to knock the thing before they have started it seams as though if (I do not want to do it i will deter as many as i can) Going in to this one knows ti is going to be a long job and cost a lot off cash ,but i for one would not be able to afford a model of this class  i did get a cossack sum time a go but that was a Christmas cum birthday presy form all my kids. The model has been out in Germany for 28 weeks or so. SO i say good luck to all those building it. Yes there are going to be problems no the way but is that not what model building is all about, over cumin them and ending up with a fantastic model>I{wood }ask all to wish me luck  the German site can be found on this link                                                                                    }{[url]http://www.baue-die-bismarck.de/viewpage.php?page_id=1 if not try putting      Build the Bismark into your googel or what ever you use good look and keep your feet dry

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2007, 07:34:38 am »

Its now at issue three and its full price from now on, ive got to say its the first amati kit ive tried and so far the fit and finish is superb i know its expensive but me and my lad are putting it together and he has been off the playstation and is going out with me to the local club to sail my corvette money well spent i think! 

Down below

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2007, 09:23:49 am »

Sorry to be on a downer for a first post but thought the below info might throw some light on the project and a word of warning before the builders of this project get in too deep :o

1) In Germany they are at issue 27 and sadly already reporting many build problems that will no doubt be encountered here in the UK, that's bad so early on in what is a very long and expensive series.

2) The cost of £700 to collect the 140 issue series is miles out if you want to build the RC version, the RC conversion kit on offer from Hachette costs 169 Euros in Germany which is about £115. You will also need to buy a battery pack & charger, plus the obvious quantity of glue & paint etc, in issue 18 they are now talking of the use of a muslin/gauze bandage to seal/strengthen the inner sides of the Hull, this is also not supplied either!

I would hazard a guess that you might not see much change out of 1k to build the RC version :o

The big concern for the RC builder's is that from the outset there is no mention to use a waterproof PVA glue such as Aliphatic resin, issue 1 supplies a nice pot of standard PVA glue which is great for the static build but totally unsuitable for an RC buld....unless that is you want it to replicate the demise of the original ship ;D

The word via Germany is that this seriesl was only intended to build as a static display model, it was a last minute Hachette thought to give the choice of also an RC version.
This seems to back-up the available info, there is no mention of an RC version on the Hachette web site and only brief snippets of info via the backing boards that come with issue's 1 & 2 and a pull out model info sheet, neither is there any word or photo in the first three mags that suggests an RC version, hence the errors now coming to light which am sure will only grow along the way ::)

The quality of wood parts supplied via Amati are good but the marriage between static display & RC version seems frought with problems for this series, so if you are to build the static version then build away warily as suspect there are hidden problems there too, but if it's the RC route then anticipate a whole load of future headaches and complaint call's to Hachette >:(

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2007, 09:38:31 am »

Well pointed out i looked at the german site and read the comments these problems will sting a few im lucky i have spare gear to make the r/c version and have already used waterproof glue on it  the sealing of the hull will be a real problem for some again ive already anticipated it ive got  :)the materials to hand now as im doing a plank on frame build  i just hope this doesnt ruin this build for the less prepared,but im ploughing on with it,as a joint build with my lad im looking forward to it.

Down below

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2007, 10:07:03 am »

There is also some confusion over the RC pack being supplied, in Germany they have two motors and three prop shafts, the inset photo on the pull-out sheet within issue 1 in the UK shows two motors and two prop shaft's, so lloks like is there no drive to the centre shaft ???

If you look on ebay Germany under hachette bismarck you will already see some three motor set-ups for sale using Speed 400's, a bloomin minefield of a kit is this for the novice but glad to read your aware of the pitfalls ;)

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

It was only by doing the necessary digging i found this not everyone has this info i have read all all the negative comments on this thread and have taken it all on board apparently the titanic of a few years ago had its problems. However although a know i am being overcharged(i cant say ripped off) but i am volunteering for it i love my hobby and i need the distraction it provides hopefully some of the people who do get bogged down can be helped by contributors to this site an unfinished project is a sad thing. ;)

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2007, 11:01:46 am »

Personally i would like to see someone on here posting weekly pictures of the build process to show all us people that DONT wish to buy the magazine how the build is going.

Okay it might be a long winded build thread but im sure it would be a good one.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 57   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.