Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 281331 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Carl - have you got an image of the 'ugly' arrangement?

Dave

Here you go Dave.........

wartsilaone

You won't stop people buying models of the space shuttle or Concord. And you can't stop making them because of the events they were involved in.
Ali.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

I agree with both of you - it will not stop me offering the kit.

At the end of the day, P&O would not exist today if it wasnt for TT...............and car ferry travel would not have progressed in the UK as it has without the pioneering vision of Stuart Townsend as it was he who forced the rail owned ferry company to cater more for the motorist by providing them with some serious competiton and driving up standards on the Straits.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.

Hi Carl, I am not worried about the history, I just want a nice model to build with good freeboard. That unloading contraption they have installed is hideous, I would bet you will not see many models built with that attached. The model will be quite a nice size with a good turn of speed. Thanks again, Mick B.
Mick B.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Good evening all,
Another full day in the workshop - but I think I have finished with sanding the foam now....

As soon as the filler arrives, it will be on to the next stage:
1 - apply the filler
2 - sand it to shape and smooth
3 - add the detail / windows / openings etc.

This is how she is looking this evening.....
Carl

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl

You must be so glad to have reached another stage in the build, another box ticked. Looking Goooooooooooood  :-))

Dave

Talisman

Carl well done another little milestone ... although after all that work your probably hoping it is a big milestone!

Now i was never good at spot the difference...  but unless i'm overdue at spec savers i see two plugs there :)  Well done you!
Regards,
Kim

The long Build

Carl well done another little milestone ... although after all that work your probably hoping it is a big milestone!

Now i was never good at spot the difference...  but unless i'm overdue at spec savers i see two plugs there :)  Well done you!
Regards,
Kim

Stearn & Bow shot..  just 1 plug I think.

Talisman

Stearn & Bow shot..  just 1 plug I think.

Ah, i see .. said the blind man, who picked up his hammer and saw!

Are specksavers open on a Sunday .... lol

Thanks for that
Kim

MikeyB

Hi Carl,

I am very impressed with your work. Looks like a real labor of love. I would also like to compliment you on your choice of ship for various reason I will explain. I am somewhat less than impressed with these newer slab-sided, all upfront ro-ro designs; they seem unbalanced and no at all appealing to my eye.

Although I am a relative newbie to the scratch built models I think there is a definite gap for advanced kits, with lots of details and featuring a ship of great proportions and recent historical significance, like the FE V. I can only imagine how impressive a model in green livery would look like underway.

I must admit to a small amount of vested interest. I was employed as a steward on board a number of Townsend Thoresen Ferries during the summers in the late '80s, including a season on the FE V, and my Dad was also master of a few including this one (but not at the same time). He has a nice oil painting (I think the FE V in orange livery) and I'll try get a snap of and posted it here if you are interested.

All the best,

Michael

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Welcome to the Forum Michael - and many thanks for the compliments for the kit..........she really is my favourite  :-)) :-)) :-))

Like you, I cannot say I am too enamoured by the modern ferries - although technologically, they are a marvel................be almost impossible to model at a sensible scale though!!!!

I am intrigued by you connections to these ships - what with your father being a past Master and you being lucky enough (in my eyes) to have worked on board. Would you or your father have any photographs you would be willing to share from those times?  I am looking forward to seeing a photo of your dad's painting especially!!!!

Please do stick around - i am guessing you would have many tales to tell of life on board!!!!
Cheers
Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
The Ferry is looking good. I see in the plug you have mouleded the super structer . Can I ask how you are going to do the mould. hull only or hull + super structer.

To day I went to the science museum to see the Sprite of free enterprise 1:100 model. Wow what a model/I have take a fair amount of photo of her. From what I can see compaired to orignal photos of the real ship it is an acurate model. The main problem was the very poor lighting and the model was in a glass case. I spoke with museum staff and they conformed that the marine exhibit will close some time in Febuary 2012.

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi John- the intention is to mould both the hull and the majority of the superstructure - the sides in particular - in one go. The front and rear superstructure elements that span across the bow and stern will be moulded seperately for the modeller to add and will give strength and rigidity to the sides.
As for the SOFE at the science museum - I intend to visit in january - what I wouldn't give to get my hands on THAT model!!!
C

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Carl, Britain PLC is up for sale - so you never know  matey - possibly get it on loan  :}
Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

As for the SOFE at the science museum - I intend to visit in january - what I wouldn't give to get my hands on THAT model!!!

Don't leave it too late, they are clearing the galleries in the New Year with the models going into storage. Probably not until may though.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

hello
Colin your are correct. The muesum staff could not give a date as of yet. All they know is Febuary is still the target date .
Carl there would be a queue for people wanting that model.

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

hello
Colin your are correct. The muesum staff could not give a date as of yet. All they know is Febuary is still the target date .
Carl there would be a queue for people wanting that model.
John

Well - I will just have to get on and make one then wont I????? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
C

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Another build Carl :o - you need to sleep occasionaly mate - just so as you can dream about ferries   O0  {-)

By the way see  http://today.seattletimes.com/2011/12/kalakala-update-1-with-conditions-coast-guard-wants-it-gone/  <:( <:( <:(

Dave

MikeyB

Hi Carl, my father he's dug out a few early photos of the FE V. I have asked if he has any from during construction/launching but have not heard back.  Also, I am not sure if you have seen a book by Miles Cowsill and John Hendy called the Townsend Eight (Ferry Publications ISBN: 1-871947-60-x) with a mixture of colour and black and white pictures. I hope these photos are of interest. All the best, Michael

Ferry Across The Mersey

Keep up the good work Carl, she's getting there. Below are a couple of photo's of FEV now, laid up in Vlore Harbour, Albania:

Thanks Antony

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Michael - Thanks for posting those pictures  :-)) She sure is a graceful looking boat - much nicer lines than the modern 'boxes' that cross the channel these days.  Thank your father for me.......I just cannot seem to get enough photos of the Free Enterprises to satisfy my thirst!!! I am actually meeting a gentleman next Sunday who used to work as a steward on the Free Enterprises during the eighties. He then progressed to the Spirit class as well as the Prides of Dover and Calais. He now sails deep sea on a box boat, but is still mad keen on the ferries.........

and Antony - Thank YOU for the photos of her now in Vlore - such a crying shame that she has been there now for over 12 months. I really cannot see her entering back into service now. I think her next voyage will be a one way towage to the beach at Aliaga, Turkey, for scrapping. She would have to be towed unless her engines have been maintained in good order (which I doubt).

If and when I hear she is on her way to Aliaga I will be heading out there myself to see if I can persuade the yard to let me on board.

If you dont try - you dont succeed!!!

As for the model - the plug has had it's first thin coat of filler added today below the belting.  Sanding day tomorrow!!!
Carl

wartsilaone

Hey Carl. I'll have a little less of the 'boxes' thing mate, I happen to like those slab sided top heavy things. They may not ascetically pleasing but they are like an Apache helicopter, 'so ugly they're beautiful'. Of course I like the older one's too, they all have their place in ferry evolution. Let us know how it goes next Sunday, I always like the stories old drivers come out with.

Ali.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

mmmmmm slab sided and top heavy - say no more
............ but then again, graceful lines and a regular service  %)
Which is better - there's only one way to find out
'FIGHT' Sorry just having a Harry Hill moment there.

Dave

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

No worries Ali - sorry mate, didnt mean to offend :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
My real beef is with the new Spirits of Britain and France: I know they have been designed to do a job and, vibration apart, they do it very well. I just wish the naval architect who designed them had put a little more thought into the aesthetics (that's the architect in me coming out!!). I mean, the Prides of Dover and Calais were large ships, and they had a certain style to the upper works - even the DFDS 'D' class boats (which are only a fraction smaller than the new Spirits) have had some thought given to their shape and window style.

But the biggest ball-ache for me of all though is the bow design - they build a sleek bow with good rake and sheer..........then go and stick a dirty great 'goalpost' or 'cow catcher' on the front and spoil the lines completely!!!!!

mutter mutter mumble mumbe grumble grumble.............

wartsilaone

You like what you grow up with I suppose. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a boring place. The new Spirits just represent current thinking and the goalpost things seen to be Dover-Calais phenomenon. You mention Vibration, I've seen a video of one of these ships manoeuvring and it seems to be that the variable pitch props are causing a lot of this.
Not all superferries are my cup of tea, for instance the SNCM Napoleon Bonaparte looks like a mickey mouse cruise liner.

I like a ferry to look like a ferry.

Ali.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.