Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Townsend Thoresen Free Enterprise V / P&O Pride of Hythe - development of a kit.  (Read 280094 times)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models

Good afternoon all,

Just in case anyone is interested, I thought I would report on the progress with developing this 1:96 kit.

We are now up to the 'cardboard prototype proof of concept' stage where a half sized (1:192) frame model is made to confirm ideas and shape, before progressing to forming a plug for the hull and having the superstructure parts laser cut.

It has taken 2 months of drawing to get to this point and I estimate another month of drawing is left. Then it is on to producing all the moulds for the fittings and getting the etched brass sheets made.

Hope it is of some interest....
Best regards
Carl (soon to be Linkspan Models....)

nhp651

looks very nice.
good luck with the kit.
neil :-))

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
very nice progress on the kit

john

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Elevations of the ship now 80% complete.............

Hull profiles now to be sent for laser cutting to produce the plug for the hull mould...

Carl

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

looking good

John

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!

ooo :o would love to scale that up to around 12 feet long that would make a great tug towing tow any chance you could scale it up :embarrassed: lol

steve

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer

Hi carlmt.
looking at the drawings you have posted, does she have a bow rudder, the reason for asking is I am building a 1950s ferry fitted with one and have made it working. The rudder is only effective when going astern about 10/15 knots scale speed, this was verified by one of the Captains who used to command the ship/s. The model you are bringing to the public domain is a breath of fresh air, there are not many classic ferries in kit? form, I look forward to seeing the end product.  Howard  :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Hi Howard - yes, she has a bow rudder..........and two bow thrusters!!!
Havent made up my mind yet as to whether the bow rudder will be operational from the outset, or whether to leave it up to the modeller.  I am in two minds as to making that area of the hull completely solid, so that if the modeller wants a working rudder, then the shape can be cut from the hull and a rudder inserted.... Still working on that one....

As you mentioned, the bow rudder was only used to assist in berthing stern in - in FEV's case, when she reversed toward the linkspan at Dover (she was always bow in at Zeebrugge). The thrusters were used to finally position her against the quay....

Steve - you would be most welcome to the drawings...............just as soon as I have finished getting the kit to market.... Give me 6 months or so....

Carl

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Evening all,
Been burning the midnight oil for quite a while now.........but we think we can see light at the end of the tunnel!!!!

A little update on progress...............drawings are nearly complete. Plug for hull to be made in the next few weeks. Sourcing suppliers for the laser-cut styrene components and etched brass frets. Will be constructing the prototypes for all the details that will be cast resin components (deck and interior seats, winches, bollards, vents, bridge equipment etc.).

A snapshot of a few of the drawings. We are proposing that the kit will contain A1 sized sheet drawings of all decks at 1:192 and A1 drawings of deck detail and elevations at 1:96. We are also planning that the build manual will only contain 'word instructions' and that it will refer directly to the large scale drawings.

we are enjoying this!!!! :-))
Carl & Florence - Linkspan Models

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
Nice to see the project comming on. You have drawn a nice set of plans.

John

wartsilaone

Hi Carl. When do you think you web site will be up and running?

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

A few weeks yet, maybe a month or two..........need to get something together to put on it {-) {-) {-) {-).

Andy (dreadnought on here) is putting it together for me and a cracking job he is doing too.....

Once the prototype build is underway, then I guess it could go live then..........with pictures and blog of the build.

My problem at the moment is having to do a 'day job' to keep the family head above water so can only work on the kit development in the evenings / early mornings and weekends.  Progress is being made - just waiting for the plug framing to come back, the laser-cut styrene superstructure parts will be cut next month (April) along with the etched brass frets. Whilst these are being done, I shall be forming the plug for the hull and the masters for the cast resin parts. I am not proposing to use any white metal fittings as, to date, I have not been happy with the quality. Plus weight could be an issue.

Once the site goes live, then we will keep it updated with news of this kit plus forthcoming plans. However we will not be taking any orders until the prototype has sailed and we are happy with it. The last thing we want is to take orders etc. then be late in delivering - thereby gaining a 'dubious' reputation - no thanks!!
Carl

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer

Any Idea of the kit price?
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Any Idea of the kit price?

We are aiming for a price of sub £500 incl VAT (E600 without VAT) all plus postage....
Carl

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC

£500 incl VAT (E600 without VAT)

That doesn't sound quite right, does it ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

regiment

thats a lot of money aint it

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

EEEEEEK! rushing again!!!!

£500 incl VAT for UK purchasers.......

Approx 600 Euro........also including UK VAT.  Misstyped - euro purchasers still have to pay our VAT......as I understand it (have an appointment with the accountant next month - one of the many tasks we have to do to get this venture off the ground).

Carl

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

thats a lot of money aint it

Its a lot of boat.......................and a lot of kit!!!!!!

Compare it with equivalent kits Europe-wide............as well as those offered by Deans and Mountfleet.....
Carl

PS At the moment, that is the 'target price' - dependent on development costs this could well come down below....  With a price of £500 INC. VAT, the actual price is £410 (or thereabouts)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

wartsilaone

I think once I see the kit I would happy to pay up. Especially if its a ship that I like ie Mv Norland hint hint.  :-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Carl
You are doing a great job.

On VAT. any who buy an item with the EU and does not travel out side the EU pays the tax in the country of purchies. An persion living in the USA can get TAX back so long as the item is ship to the USA but he may be supjected to USA import/state tax.  So take the uk price convert in to euro and there is you price.
On Price if what Carl has planed having seen his previous builds it is a BARGIN. IT is low production small market hand made there is a lot to take in to acount and I think £500 or near there is a very good price for a full kit with fiber glass hull , brass etch , resing fittings , transfers etc.

John

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer

Well worth it, good luck with the project. :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

pugwash

Carl you have done some very nice drawings and appear to be going about this project very professionally
best of luck to you and don't let these impatient modelmakers rush you into anything until you are really ready
to go into production as you say you want to get it right first time.

Geoff

wartsilaone

Also compared with the amount it cost me to build my ferry £500-£600 is very reasonable.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models

Look at the Kong Harald by billing boats

http://www.modelbrouwers.nl/shop/catalog/1100-billing-boats-ms-kong-harald-p-1634.html?language=en&manufacturers_id=29&osCsid=c4f247c75a79fa47727982abf6cbbd37

OUCH OUCH AND OUCH AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!  Over 2000 Euro.  Now I remember why I wanted to get into this game  O0 O0 O0.

If we could sell our range for that money - we would be millionaires in no time.......However.......................this is the real world.

Thanks for the messages of support and encouragement folks, it is appreciated  :-)). Spent this evening designing and working out the etched brass handrailing. The real ship had 60mm wide flat bar rails set on flat bar stanchions. All done now - another small task completed.....
Carl
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.