Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mary at oxford model boat club lake with pics  (Read 6378 times)

jaywayne75

Mary at oxford model boat club lake with pics
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:59:24 pm »

Here are a few snaps of the Queen Mary at the lake after re-shafting and motoring.
The performance is fantastic now and she sails very well, we intend building a harbour at the lake that will accomodate the larger models as well as smaller ones too
However after trials we found the shafts were leaking and even worse when i got her home the rear of the hull had cracked quite badly around the stern tube area which it had done before  <:(
so under close examination the lifted edges of the wood were removed and a 5mm vee cut into the cracks then sealed with cyno once dried then the entire stern section was sandes to bare wood sealed and then a skim of p40 was added allowed to cure ant then a skim of p38 filler added sanded smoothe and then primed and top coated that i hope will cure it!! :-))

More Coffee

Re: Mary at oxford model boat club lake with pics
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:22:27 pm »

Geez thats nice..
Those old boats were floating wedding cakes,I wonder why No cruise line wont touch classic oceanliner look on a modern day vessel..

dave301bounty

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

That Dear Sir ,is a beautifull looking model ,with a bit of tinkering ,you could pose that as a crossing the pond .very nice .

tugboyben

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:14:42 pm »

hi jaywayne75

WOW that its very nice welldone she would look great if you had smoke coming from her funnels  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

jason

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

Beautiful, beautiful model - a credit to you Sir  :-))

I do like the harbour idea...
Carl

Capt Podge

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 10:43:48 pm »

If, after all your efforts, the shafts are still leaking - have you tried filling them with grease ? Sorry if I'm being presumptious but this also happened to a friend of mine when he bought a boat off someone - he thought the grease was slowing the shafts down when, in fact, it was there to prevent water ingress ! On his first sailing he couldn't fathom out where the water was coming from - until it was explained to him.

That's a beautiful looking ship you've got there incidentally.

Tugboyben mentioned she would look great if you had smoke coming from her funnels      I would agree there - have a look at RATHIKRISHNA's thread ref home made smoke generator  :-))

Paularai

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »

Hi Queenmaryfan

Kind of related, just started consstruction on QM2 at 1:150 scale, will have to get the 2 queens togeather one day!

At a very early stage at the moment, just sealed the foam with PVA and paper, hence soggy look, ahead of glassing this weekend.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 05:10:35 pm »

Looks interesting  :-))

What foam have you used if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers
Carl

davidm1945

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »

Geez thats nice..
Those old boats were floating wedding cakes,I wonder why No cruise line wont touch classic oceanliner look on a modern day vessel..

How about this - Saga Ruby, only one funnel I know but still has that classic look. We are going to The Nowegian fjords on her in August - can't wait!

Love your model queenmaryfan, beautiful....

Dave

Paularai

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:49:37 am »

Hi Carlmt

I decided from experience when building Finnjet that you really dont need to go to the expense of blue foam, this time I was gifted white polystyrene as used in cavity wall insulation. All the shaping is done at the fibeglass stage so quality of foam is not an issue.

I have glassed the foam now and am starting laborious task of sanding, plan is  a split mould so that I can incorporate bulbous bow.

Will post some more photos soon, some more of early stage are on my photbox account below.

Would be good to speak to anyone else who has considered making QM2 especially if they have considered how to make azipods.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v226/paularai/

CF-FZG

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:56:33 pm »

Here are a few snaps of the Queen Mary at the lake after re-shafting and motoring.
The performance is fantastic now and she sails very well, we intend building a harbour at the lake that will accomodate the larger models as well as smaller ones too
However after trials we found the shafts were leaking and even worse when i got her home the rear of the hull had cracked quite badly around the stern tube area which it had done before  <:(
so under close examination the lifted edges of the wood were removed and a 5mm vee cut into the cracks then sealed with cyno once dried then the entire stern section was sandes to bare wood sealed and then a skim of p40 was added allowed to cure ant then a skim of p38 filler added sanded smoothe and then primed and top coated that i hope will cure it!! :-))

Hi Queenmaryfan,

Only just seen this thread, the QM looks gorgeous :-))

How did the repairs go?

Are you going to the pond on Sunday?  I plan on going over to see about joining the club.

Mark.

jaywayne75

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

all repairs have been carried out and have worked a treat its a real pleasure to sale and i will be doing that in about an hour!!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »

Hi Jason
I was nice sailing the 2 queens yester day. I will try and get the photos up her soon.

John

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:34:27 pm »

Hi,

Very very nice, looks as good as the real thing did. Only thing is, what am I supposted to call my boat now. It was the Queen Mary, changed at request of Cunard to Queen Mary 2 to allow Cunards ship to be called Queen Mary, if this keeps up I will run out of numbers  {-) {-) {-)
If it ain't broke it ain't mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.