Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing trawler overhaul  (Read 1673 times)

Gilligan

Fishing trawler overhaul
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »

Hello to everyone at Model boat mayhem  :-)

I have arrived here as a true "newbie" to model boating with not much to contribute as yet, but with a need to do a pirate raid on the knowledge and expertise of experienced members. I live near Timperley village right on the manchester / Cheshire border. A friend of mine is trying to give up smoking and has been looking for a hobby to help him quit. He found the address of a model shop hidden away down a side street in Northenden called "My model shop". We went for a browse and chatted with the friendly and helpful owner Steve. I noticed a fishing trawler on the counter, painted two tone blue, about 29" long. It looked a bit sorry for itself, but my boyhood fascination and curiosity with boats and water in general suddenly resurfaced. Like any good shop keeper worth his salt Steve gave me a guided tour of the trawler, removing the wheel house so I could view the interior. The hull is constructed like a miniaturised wooden boat with bulkheads and planks all carefully cut and glued together. Space had been made to accommodate the electric motor, steering gear, a gear box of sorts, and batteries to power the remote control receiver. I was utterly hooked.

Anyway I bought it (knocking 80% off the price when I told 'er indoors, or I'd be wearing it as an unusual headpiece <*<) the next weekend. My intention is to refurbish the old boat. The radio gear and mechanical bits all look tired, so I want to gut it and replace all with up to date components. I want to remove the blue paint which was rather poorly and hastily applied, and just varnish the wonderful planked wooden hull beneath. The problem will be removing paint from the intricate and difficult to access areas of the deck, particularly the wheel house. Steve suggested simply replacing the wheel house which seems like a sensibleand time saving solution.
I would also like to fit running lights, and wheel house illumination, and add some detail to the wheel house interior (including glass in the windows).

I would welcome any advice from you old hands out there about how I should go about this overhaul  i.e selection of new motor and associated equipment, stripping and varnishing the hull etc. Thanks for the warm welcome to the club.

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fishing trawler overhaul
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »

Welcome to Mayhem. Im sure that as you brouse the many sections you will find the answers you require.If not there are many
people willing to answer your questions.Good luck with your vessel.Ive a soft spot for fishing boats.Theres so much detail you can
build in.John.

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 10:06:27 pm »

Hy Gilligan
First thing we all want to see is pictures, if you can post some on here, we can get all the info we need to help you along. I am sure you will get all the guidance you want. Welcome to the forum.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Capt Podge

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 10:30:43 pm »

Welcome aboard matey,

Another source of help / information is local Model Boat Clubs. I don't know which ones might be in your area but if you have a browse around you might find one near to where you live.
Also, the shop where you bought the boat might know of local clubs. These clubs are usually "crewed" by helpful people O0.

Enjoy the hobby  :-))

Ray.

Gilligan

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:03:21 pm »

Thanks for the pointers,  :-) the model shop owner Steve has offered all the support I need to get the rebuild underway, but I will be taking your advice in joining a model boating club if there is one not too far away. I have tried unsuccessfully to download some pictures of the trawler in its current condition {:-{, but have yet to master the art of image compression, although I'm halfway there using image reduction software.

I hope to post pictures of the boat as the refurbishment progress's, and hopefully be able to contribute to mayhem for the benefit of other novice model boaters like myelf.
I was encouraged to read a post from a gentleman in his 70s who's only been model boating for a year, so there is hope for a "kid" of 49 like me !

Gilligan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.