Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ride in & Maned model boats  (Read 12672 times)

plattypus-oz

Ride in & Maned model boats
« on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:25 am »

Is there anyone interested in ride in model tug boats, Cheers

nick_75au

Re: Ride in & Maned model boats
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:35 am »

Guy in our club is building one, 15 Hp Yanmar Diesel 6 m long IIRC
nick

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:12 am »

Interesting idea. Could be based possibly a dingy stye hull or? Would make a diffirent type of recovery boat for the club.Also just
for fun, stearring comps, manouvering etc. Im sure someone will have  done one already. Will follow this posting.John.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:47:57 am »

There was a beauty sold here on Ebay UK some months ago. Dont know where it went to.  I started a Springer enlarged X4 then had a heart attack, I dont believe the two were related :embarrassed:  I`ll be resuming work in the spring O0  The famous American "Candu" series of tugs didnt quite get going in the UK. Pictures to follow.  I think the correct term is "Manned model ships", there is a Yahoo Group of that name
..well can you land on this?

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:21:11 pm »

Ive been messing about with plans for a 1/4 scale aquarama lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 04:24:16 pm »

Here is the recently sold on Ebay tug. Anybody know where it went ?

nhp651

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 04:42:18 pm »

did it actually sell? arrow............I know it didn't the first time it went on, but thought again it didn't second time.....but probably wrong.

Probably some chinese man bought it to copy, thinking ther's a hole in the market for mini harbour tugs, lol %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »

You may be right I lost track. I think we would have heard about on here if it had been a Mayhemer. {-)  OR maybe a Chinese multi-millionaire bought it for his swimming pool ?

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:15:01 pm »

it's never come to light on the tug forum either and i thought that would have been the first place.

but i remember a while back, a really superb 8 foot long paddle tug on ebay for a few tries.....eventually it sold...........but you never see these things again, anywhere...........often wonder who buys em and where they dissappear too.......not as though they are ultra valuable works of art that someone puts in a private cellar somewhere.........WHERE ARE THEY!!!! :(( :(( :((

ben hall

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:04:58 pm »

my club have sit in battle ships have a look at them http://www.pmbdt.co.uk/MANNED.htmlandhttp://www.pmbdt.co.uk/GALLERYVIDS.html

ben hall

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:24 pm »

the first one is  a very good one

ben hall

craftysod

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:06:01 pm »

For you Ben from Alfold last year.click to play

ben hall

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »

ive driven the holstein its quite scary when your driving around in someone else's expensive boat with limited view trying to dodge pedelos

plattypus-oz

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 12:02:58 am »

Try my other site at http://tinytugboat.blogspot.com/ If you post me a comment I will get back to you. Your email address is not sold or given out. Hope this not against the rules. Cheers

My previous post didn't turn out so I will add to this . The administrator said to say some thing about myself, I live in Australia and have a blogspot called http://imagineering-engineering.blogspot.com/ and this will let you know about me. That fella who had the heart attack get well soon cause and guild that little tug cause its great fun in a little tug. And thanks for all the replies I read them all .Cheers

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:26 am »

Is it politically correct to call the models manned? Would not personed be correct? We no longer have B--l c---s but float operated
valves.No more fire men, firefighters etc. This post tongne in cheek. John.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 09:58:23 am »

I think "crewed" might be better.   {:-{  The girl pilots can call it "ladied" if they want .... when they turn up. Oh OH :police: <*<

plattypus-oz

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 10:27:24 am »

I did a search in images and none was found in crewed but there was a interesting model in person ed. So I think person ed would be more inclined. Getting back to the post I was just interested in seeing if some one else is into big small model boats? There must be some. My little tug would be good as a rescue boat for models and will be used for such work as there is a model boat group a couple of miles from me. :}

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:02 am »

Hi Plattypus, The best known custom built manned (ooh er ! ) tug was the late Bill Wikinson`s paddle tug HMS Cracker. I wonder if it was the one NHP651 saw on Ebay.  Platty you should have a look at the Yahoo Group  Manned_Model_Ships_International for some other examples.  If you look closely at my avatar check the background, that might have brought on my heart attack not the big Springer tug. BTW I`ve made a 110% recovery , just putting on weight, that was the extra 10% for stopping smoking !  Havent seen a picture of your tug with the top on in your blog.  Attached pic of the real  "Cracker", the second picture was taken at a hydroplane meeting on Lake Como some years ago, I have no idea what it is but seems a little on the minimalist side !  Also a pic of a couple of entries in the local Gravity Race (down the access road to Cairngorm Mountain Ski area) since you are interested in that sort of thing only these have NO engines, how green is that ?  You dont mention where you are in Oz ?

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »

Is it politically correct to call the models manned? Would not personed be correct? We no longer have B--l c---s but float operated
valves.No more fire men, firefighters etc. This post tongue in cheek. John.

Good luck on changing plumbing language , we get it all .Balls , nipples and manholes to mention but a few . Embarrassess new girls when they start work in a plumbing warehouse .
Malcolm  NZ

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 09:38:51 pm »

When working as a tractor mechanic I was never short of nipples to grease
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

plattypus-oz

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 10:46:18 pm »

When I worked in the coal mine we used similar words even in engineering the term male and female are used and there is no other way. Lets get back to big little boats that people sit in. I am not one who joins clubs and who has a lot of friends but when I make friends they are for life warts and all. So lets forget the political Mayhem and get on with model boats. Please John I am not having a go at you or anyone else as I do like a bit (lot) of controversy as you can read in my blogs and your opinion is gratefully received. I do not have  any photos of my little tug that are not on my blog. I have read all the comments and there is some doohickeys there that I like especially that big tug boat wonder what drives it? Cheers

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 08:05:16 am »

Link to a Mini-Tug from the plans supplied by Berkeley Engineering in USA search Youtube for Mini Tugboat by Berkeley Engineering, many examples vintage style American ride-in tugs.  Not a new idea , attached shows Royal Navy version of the 20s and another more recent ex RN.

plattypus-oz

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 08:52:54 am »

I have seen the mini tug web page and have contacted some people in Australia who have built one. There is one in the Sydney maritime museum. I have yet to see one in the flesh. That first photo in black and white looks like the superstructure is made from some sort of cloth but it looks great. I have some info of a paddle tug built in Western Australia its called Jumna built of steel and having a steam engine. The original article was in live steam magazine and was written by Keith Watson who makes the Wato locomotives. By the way I live about 2 hours drive south of Sydney now. cheers

plattypus-oz

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »

This is my little boat
I think I got the image to post so here goes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.